Fork parts question

2 replies to this topic
  • tech24

Posted February 02, 2011 - 08:33 AM

Anyone know why OEM parts listings for fork parts have 2 numbers for each part with the same part number

like for seals and bushings??????

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 02, 2011 - 09:37 AM

I know how it originally happened, but I could begin to explain why it was left that way. If an exploded view of the entire assembly was drawn and every item had it's own number, there would be, for example, a left and right lower bushing. To simplify the drawing, only one telescoping assembly was "exploded". Then, it seems, each of the two item numbers that originally pointed to the two lower bushings were transferred to the one that remained in the drawing. The odd part is that no explanation of this is offered, both lines are left in the catalog, and you are left to "figure it out". So, no, I don't know why, only what...sort of.

• tech24

Posted February 02, 2011 - 09:53 AM

I can see that happening, oh well no big deal most of the parts are the same left and right anyway. It just kind of caught me off guard.

I'm getting ready to do a fork seal/oil change and was planning on doing all the bushings too but that seems a bit pricey and with less than a year on the forks I think I'll just get the OEM seals and dust seals....I think I can figure that much out of the diagram.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.