Needle valve

3 replies to this topic
  • motodiver13

Posted February 01, 2011 - 03:36 PM

My 98 wr 400 quit running the other day. I can get it to start and idle but only without the choke. It seems to be getting too much fuel. I am leaking a small amount of fuel from the vent tubes. Will a bad float Valve cause the bike to run very rich?

• xcountryfreak

Posted February 06, 2011 - 08:15 AM

If fuel is coming out of the overflow tube the float needle is the center of the problem. Make sure the float needle is clean and the seat is clean. Make sure the needle is not badly worn. If it shows an indentation or wear at the point it contacts the seat, it may be worn out. Also make sure the needle's spring loaded pin works and isn't frozen.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Birdy426

Posted February 06, 2011 - 04:50 PM

Could also be the o-ring that seals the needle seat to the carb body causing the fuel weep...pretty common. Much ore so than worn needle.

• motodiver13

Posted February 08, 2011 - 11:21 AM

thanks guys, i installed a new needle, seat, and oring. if i don't freeze my fingers off today i am going to reassmble and give her a shot.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.