Brand new 2010 remember my oil leak issue with filter cover well...

13 replies to this topic
  • matts06yzf

Posted February 01, 2011 - 03:29 PM

So first ride on the 2010 450 and filter cover leaks oil around side or around bottom bolt tried new seals etc didn't work. Got dealer to get me a new cover it arrived today guess what it still leaks same spot. I don't have a local dealer I bought bike 1500 miles away. So they have been shipping me parts. So is it the case? What else can it be it doesn't leak bad bad but if I start bike let it get warm then oil is leaking out just after a mint. On the stand. Anything else I can try I really don't want some half ass dealer taking my motor apart etc replacing case when its brand new. Leaks on side of filter cover if your looking at it towards front of bike. Im pissed

• RJacks

Posted February 01, 2011 - 06:02 PM

So first ride on the 2010 450 and filter cover leaks oil around side or around bottom bolt tried new seals etc didn't work. Got dealer to get me a new cover it arrived today guess what it still leaks same spot. I don't have a local dealer I bought bike 1500 miles away. So they have been shipping me parts. So is it the case? What else can it be it doesn't leak bad bad but if I start bike let it get warm then oil is leaking out just after a mint. On the stand. Anything else I can try I really don't want some half ass dealer taking my motor apart etc replacing case when its brand new. Leaks on side of filter cover if your looking at it towards front of bike. Im pissed

How much would you sell the bike for since you want a Suzuki?

Seriously though, have you looked for any stress cracks? What about using a bit of Yamabond.

• matts06yzf

Posted February 01, 2011 - 06:48 PM

Ill sell it cheap Ive put over 2k in bike before i rode it. should have gone suz. There no cracks theres nothing it just leaks period. Yamahas do mess up this is my 5th one and im not satisfied with this one.

• brentn

Posted February 01, 2011 - 06:55 PM

If I were you I'd be looking for a thicker o-ring or something....

• matts06yzf

Posted February 01, 2011 - 07:27 PM

If I were you I'd be looking for a thicker o-ring or something....

WHY SHOULD I? There has to be an issue right? I just wanna know what it is cases machined wrong? Or what. Im gonna play hard ball. I have talked with my attorney and I dont play well when my life is on the line. I race every weekend. And usually run a race bike through at least 200 hours a year. I ride a lot. Send me a motor and we will move on. Ill send you this pos back im over looking for issues to fix it.

• brentn

Posted February 01, 2011 - 07:37 PM

Is there an issue? That's really the question here...

Post a pic of a drip or run from the cover, just curious to how bad this really is. Secondly take another shot of your cover and face of the case with the cover off.. Maybe we'll see something to help you out.

• grayracer513

Posted February 01, 2011 - 08:06 PM

If you recall, I mentioned the possibility of poor machining or damage to the case cover in your previous thread. Another thing you may want to check is that the bolt(s) is/are not bottoming before they clamp the cover tight. Screw them in with the cover off and see what they do.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • eazrider

Posted February 03, 2011 - 07:58 AM

WHY SHOULD I? There has to be an issue right? I just wanna know what it is cases machined wrong? Or what. Im gonna play hard ball. I have talked with my attorney and I dont play well when my life is on the line. I race every weekend. And usually run a race bike through at least 200 hours a year. I ride a lot. Send me a motor and we will move on. Ill send you this pos back im over looking for issues to fix it.

The guy has "talked" to an attorney, It must be someone elses fault, and by George, they are going to pay.....This is what, as a nation we have evolved into. Most folks would lap the cases or gin up a gasket and use a bit of sealer to solve a problem that they didn't create, but could easily fix. Sorry what we have become...:thumbsup:

• DC_Excitement

Posted February 04, 2011 - 04:58 AM

dude just take the bike somewhere and get a professional opinion,

• jaybird67k

Posted February 04, 2011 - 06:45 AM

My new KTM 350 had a valve cover leak as well, I just took it off and fixed it. It was really no big deal if you have some mechanical ability. If it was mine I would allready have it fixed and be riding happy.
"talked to a lawyer" Now that is funny!

Later, Jason

• tech24

Posted February 04, 2011 - 07:20 AM

Well if a new cover and gasket didn't fix it there isn't much he can do. The o-ring sits inside the case not on a flat surface on the outside so not sure how you'd fix that one without altering the case and voiding warranty,

• Bkew

Posted February 10, 2011 - 08:38 PM

Well if a new cover and gasket didn't fix it there isn't much he can do. The o-ring sits inside the case not on a flat surface on the outside so not sure how you'd fix that one without altering the case and voiding warranty,

+1 I had a similar issue on a 06 KXF and the I was going to "fix" it myself and the dealer warned me that I do I will void any chance of getting it replaced. In the end they did fix the issue by fixing the case.

• Yzf_Buz

Posted February 10, 2011 - 08:55 PM

+1 I had a similar issue on a 06 KXF and the I was going to "fix" it myself and the dealer warned me that I do I will void any chance of getting it replaced. In the end they did fix the issue by fixing the case.

Just buck up and do the drive back to where you bought the bike and have them look at it and then Fix it.

• Bkew

Posted February 11, 2011 - 03:07 PM

Just buck up and do the drive back to where you bought the bike and have them look at it and then Fix it.

I agree completely and that is what I did... sorry if I was not clear. Got rid of the 06' little over a year ago and got an 09 RMZ 450.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.