Enough power?

11 replies to this topic
  • Slim Chance

Posted February 01, 2011 - 02:51 PM

I had a chance to ride my new 2009 YZ450 at Highland Park last week. I was never able to ride the bike wie open. Most of my day was spent at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. How many here truly ride their machine to the limits of its capability? How many can actually use more horsepower?

• SEOINAGE

Posted February 01, 2011 - 02:55 PM

Depends on the terrain. and a bunch of other factors. When doing hill climbing there are some hills I will be wide open going as hard as I can and still not make it because of power. But they are usually massive and soft.

• skull1971

Posted February 01, 2011 - 04:34 PM

I had a chance to ride my new 2009 YZ450 at Highland Park last week. I was never able to ride the bike wie open. Most of my day was spent at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. How many here truly ride their machine to the limits of its capability? How many can actually use more horsepower?

A couple of times I've bounced it off the throttle stop and thought it was pretty cool I had it pinned. But I really didn't need more power, just better rear tire hook-up.

Plus if you listen to some of the pro's like RC, they detuned the bikes so they could "Go faster."

Randon thought's here,,,, but

If you really needed more power you could find an old KX, or CR 500 and go at it, those things were INSANE!!

• dalonar

Posted February 01, 2011 - 06:36 PM

i hear people say that they have only hit the rev limiter a few times. I must ride like a bat out of hell because my bike has 2 speeds idle and WOT!!! its not quite like that on the trails but in the sand/gravel pits i keep it screaming

• skull1971

Posted February 01, 2011 - 06:50 PM

Try shifting out of first gear.

• brentn

Posted February 01, 2011 - 06:54 PM

with 13/50 I'm hitting it all the time, especially with the FMF slip on.
I enjoy every little bit of power this bike has, only complaint is that it chews tires up in short order. Once the knobs start to round it just gets exponentially worse on this bike compared to my yz250.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • skull1971

Posted February 01, 2011 - 07:56 PM

with 13/50 I'm hitting it all the time, especially with the FMF slip on.
I enjoy every little bit of power this bike has, only complaint is that it chews tires up in short order. Once the knobs start to round it just gets exponentially worse on this bike compared to my yz250.

Shoot I have the full FMF Ti power thing with the carbon fiber whatever,, it came on the bike when I got it. I run a 13/52 and almost never hit the rev limiter BUT!!! I ride the woods, never MX, and yes it'll blast a tire in a couple rides. Stupid Dunlop bring back the 756!!!

• brentn

Posted February 01, 2011 - 08:02 PM

Well i've been riding trials for 3 years and I'm no expert on how to ride. I'm just learning how to corner properly right now, hopefully I will have that mastered by the end of this coming up season.
IMO I'm probably not riding the bike the way it was designed, and maybe I'm getting more wheel spin that I'm noticing in which I interpret as the limit of the engine?
With gearing like that it's like a honda civic going through the shifter. 1st gear gets your crawling cause the engine is so small and you change to second as soon as the tires start spinning!

13/52 is crazy!

• ttr250dude

Posted February 01, 2011 - 08:06 PM

I'm WOT on a regular basis. Why r u hiting the limiter? Shift.... :thumbsup:

• SEOINAGE

Posted February 01, 2011 - 08:34 PM

even if I am going balls out up a hill I'm not hitting the rev limiter cause i would jsut shift up cause there is way better power lower down, of course i am going 13/51 soon as I get my chain, should make things a bit better for me.

• ttr250dude

Posted February 02, 2011 - 06:28 PM

even if I am going balls out up a hill I'm not hitting the rev limiter cause i would jsut shift up cause there is way better power lower down, of course i am going 13/51 soon as I get my chain, should make things a bit better for me.

X2. Thats why i shift as well. Plus riding on the limiter will necesitate a top end rebuild sooner than someone who keeps the rpm low.

• YamaLink

Posted February 03, 2011 - 04:39 PM

Oh yeah! I have a KX500 we ride once a year. Maybe twice. Usually in a big hillclimb event. Then it takes the entire year to "recover" from the scary sensation of acceleration.
I can't believe we used to ride those things every day and weekend for 100 mile desert races.

If you really needed more power you could find an old KX, or CR 500 and go at it, those things were INSANE!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.