first oil change , now i feel like a retard

4 replies to this topic
  • jesse2982

Posted February 01, 2011 - 02:46 PM

So i got my oil change all done, feeling good, when i clean out the bowl where i drained the whole I found a copper washer that i didn't notice upon disassemble, where does this go and will it be bad if i wait till my next oil change to reinstall? Its on a 2009 yz450f thanks for your help

• grayracer513

Posted February 01, 2011 - 02:57 PM

From one of the two drain plugs. Which one depends on what size it is; 8mm for the left/front, 10mm for the right/rear.

You did drain from two places, yes?

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=852961

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Smokeslider

Posted February 01, 2011 - 03:05 PM

My guess is the drain bolt on bottom Right side. He should be able to just look at the bolt to see if the washer is missing, no? Also, Should be able put bike on its side to replace the washer without spilling oil all over the place.

• dgcars

Posted February 01, 2011 - 03:12 PM

So i got my oil change all done, feeling good, when i clean out the bowl where i drained the whole I found a copper washer that i didn't notice upon disassemble, where does this go and will it be bad if i wait till my next oil change to reinstall? Its on a 2009 yz450f thanks for your help

Best to put it on now. It provides a seal between the drain plug and casing to stop the oil coming out. Don't feel too bad....it's not the end of the world...:thumbsup:

• RJacks

Posted February 01, 2011 - 06:05 PM

Best to put it on now. It provides a seal between the drain plug and casing to stop the oil coming out. Don't feel too bad....it's not the end of the world...:thumbsup:

It also adds a bit of cushion to help keep the steel bolt from ripping the threads out of the aluminum casing.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.