Big exhaust leak - end of header

13 replies to this topic
  • Michael Cahill

Posted February 01, 2011 - 01:26 PM

I've developed a rather larger exhaust leak at the end of the header pipe, where it connects to the silencer.
Bike: YZ400f

Bought the bike with white bros silencer slip on, but it looks like previous owner used a non stock header, and some sort of tape to seal the two together.
Well, the tape has now worn out, and there is nearly a half centimeter gap in the space where the two slip together.

Any suggestions on how to properly seal this?
It looks like the header and silencer are two totally difference sizes.
i've looked for some good seal tape, but haven't found anything more that a few hundredths of an inch thick.

• dgcars

Posted February 01, 2011 - 02:22 PM

Thats a helluva gap to try and fill. I would suggest getting an adapter machined (turned on a lathe) to join the pipes together. A tube about 40mm long O/D so it just fits into the silencer, I/D so it just slips oner the header. A small shoulder to stop it disappearing up the silencer would be advisable. Assemble with a spot of high temp RTV.

• 02WR426Cali

Posted February 01, 2011 - 02:27 PM

Yeah an adapter as mentioned would work or some type of gasket maybe like the stock one? Not sure if the gasket would work on the silencer though, pics would help. In a pinch you can get an extra piece of pipe about an inch or so long that fits between the two and then put high temp silicone on both sides to seal it up. You must clamp together though which requires slots in the end of the silencer so it will collapse a little bit. I did that for a temporary fix a while back on my ATC.

• Michael Cahill

Posted February 01, 2011 - 03:39 PM

I'll get some pics up in a bit.

how exactly should i go about getting something like that machined?

Or would it be easier just to get another header?
I dont know where the current one came from, but its deff not stock.

anone know what size the white bros E series pipe is?

• Blackwoodz

Posted February 01, 2011 - 04:05 PM

Aluminum foil is not just for cooking with anymore....:thumbsup:

• Michael Cahill

Posted February 01, 2011 - 04:19 PM

Aluminum foil is not just for cooking with anymore....:thumbsup:

Please continue...

wrap the header end?

• Nickm27

Posted February 01, 2011 - 04:28 PM

i have a few of these adapters... let me know header size to muffler size and i will see what i have... they came with a yosh system and i also got a few with my new megabomb header and once i got my fmf muffler i didnt need them anymore

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Michael Cahill

Posted February 01, 2011 - 04:31 PM

i have a few of these adapters... let me know header size to muffler size and i will see what i have... they came with a yosh system and i also got a few with my new megabomb header and once i got my fmf muffler i didnt need them anymore

Awesome :thumbsup:

just need the diameter?

• humpness

Posted February 01, 2011 - 04:36 PM

What does the leak sound like? im having problems with backfire and wondering if its a leak or varnished pilot.

• brentn

Posted February 01, 2011 - 05:34 PM

When I got my FMF slip on it specifically stated that you should use high temp sealant like RTV for the mating joint. There was very little gap and I only needed just a bit, seemed odd that it didn't come with some kind of clamp or something... The stock clamp only works with the stock silencer.
Anyways, RTV works, I've been using it for about 4 ride hours now, looks pretty good too.

• 02WR426Cali

Posted February 01, 2011 - 06:26 PM

I always try to use a clamp even on the pipes that "you don't need to." If you cut slots in the front of the midpipe on the muffler, you can clamp it after you RTV it. The slots allow for compression.

So Michael after you get your adaptor, cut some slots as wide as the clamp width so you can seal it up as good as possible. Use a TBolt style clamp they work perfect.

• Blackwoodz

Posted February 02, 2011 - 07:28 AM

Please continue...

wrap the header end?

yes..just cut a 2 inch wide strip then fold it in haf so it is now 1inch wide and wrap the header until you are just at the diameter of the silencers pipe..tighten your clamp and done.

• Michael Cahill

Posted February 02, 2011 - 07:22 PM

I like the aluminum foil idea.

although i'd like to do it the right way with an adaptor.
I just dont know where to get one of these.

Nickm27: Still have thos extra adaptors?

• Nickm27

Posted February 03, 2011 - 05:15 PM

yes sir i do... i have 2 different sizes... let me know the I.D. of your head and same on you midpipe where they would both connect and i will see if i have the right on for you

send them to my email. nrmorris@live.com

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.