DID Dirt Star?!

10 replies to this topic
  • RotoReuter

Posted January 31, 2011 - 09:42 PM

Hey guys i purchased a 2011 CRF450R and my front rim has 3 flat spots. Does anyone know if they can fix them they arent very severe but they make my bike wobble in the air. I also am looking into the Dirt Star rims i just had a question if they are a lot stronger than my stockers or not? I would be purchasing the lightweight version because i thoroughly believe in the unsprung weight factor! Thanks

• Shawn_Mc

Posted January 31, 2011 - 10:44 PM

Ive only heard this, but it was from a pro on another web board, but those Dirtstar wheels are stronger than the A60 Excels. Its hard to imagine those would be as light as the OEM wheels.

• RotoReuter

Posted January 31, 2011 - 10:51 PM

Thanks i thought they were pretty good wheels and i see about every race team switched from excels to these this year.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted February 01, 2011 - 09:29 AM

they aint cheap!

• supervokes

Posted February 02, 2011 - 07:40 AM

I have a set of DirtStar rims on honda hubs .... and am a major weight weenie myself :thumbsup:

Anyway the LTX "light" version of the rim actually weighs 80 grams MORE than the stockers ....

You can offset this by using rim tape (instead of rubber band) and a new motion pro liteloc rimlock. You'll end up with the same weight wheel in the end.

I was a bit disappointed that the rims were heavier than the stockers ... I was expecting lighter .... but would imagine the strength will be much better though. :lol:

• Shawn_Mc

Posted February 02, 2011 - 11:06 AM

I have a set of DirtStar rims on honda hubs .... and am a major weight weenie myself :thumbsup:

Anyway the LTX "light" version of the rim actually weighs 80 grams MORE than the stockers ....

You can offset this by using rim tape (instead of rubber band) and a new motion pro liteloc rimlock. You'll end up with the same weight wheel in the end.

I was a bit disappointed that the rims were heavier than the stockers ... I was expecting lighter .... but would imagine the strength will be much better though. :lol:

Honda almost cheats when they arrive at the showroom weight of the bike. Weigh the stock tires, rims and chain against what you end up replacing all of those with. You'll be astonished.

Those parts that you get from Honda as OEM work, but the length of time they'll work is the real issue.

• supervokes

Posted February 02, 2011 - 03:06 PM

Honda almost cheats when they arrive at the showroom weight of the bike. Weigh the stock tires, rims and chain against what you end up replacing all of those with. You'll be astonished.

Those parts that you get from Honda as OEM work, but the length of time they'll work is the real issue.

Yep ... hard to beat a LOT of OEM Honda stuff when it comes to weight ...

By the way ... if you can .. run a Dunlop Geomax MX31 front tire. HUGE weight savings over every other tire on the market. :thumbsup: ... assuming the tire and tread pattern works for you.

Any other weight weenie questions, fire my way. I have a large list of parts weights that I am compiling and will post up some day. What ticks me off is that most of the aftermarket companies will not tell you the weights of their products, and often you need to buy them first and then check against what your replacing. :lol:

• PawleeP

Posted June 17, 2012 - 07:12 AM

has anyone weighed the excel a60 compared to DID ltx or stx? wondering which is lighter..and is it true that the excel a60's scratch easily and require aftermarket spokes?

• macz400

Posted June 17, 2012 - 08:25 AM

On my 2011 crf450 I have stock hubs and spokes laced to black did dirtstar wheels (non STX or LTX). They weigh the same as the stock rims. 24.5 hours on them and they have been great.

• macz400

Posted June 17, 2012 - 08:28 AM

Biggest thing about the OEM wheelset or any other one, is staying in top of the spokes. If you true tbe wheel correctly and keep checking the spokes ever so often you will get alot longer lifespan out of any wheelset.

• nesc103y

Posted June 17, 2012 - 06:16 PM

has anyone weighed the excel a60 compared to DID ltx or stx? wondering which is lighter..and is it true that the excel a60's scratch easily and require aftermarket spokes?

We run A60. I guess you could say they do scratch somewhat easy. I think the scratches get washed away by the tire flex that wears the finish down to the aluminum.
Also I think the added weight of the Excel's is more from the spokes than rim weight. The SS spoke sets are a little larger in diameter than OEM spokes.

Sorry I don't know what they weigh.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2013 CRF 450R suspension re-valve....Pro Circuit, ENZO, or Race Tech? by joshua.andres

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450R
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

05 crf450r top end by jlkroner

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

2014 outdoor motocross predictions by ImAHondaMan

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  67 replies
Forums
Photo

Need help with 2013 crf450 motor by souliog

• Hot  75 replies
Forums
Photo

2007 crf450 stuck in gear by Jackthomas1989

• Hot  30 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.