Boots

7 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 30, 2001 - 07:54 AM

Plan to buy new boots and have the choice narrowed down to Alpinestar Tech 8's or Vectors.

Tweeked my inner/outer foot/ankle last weekend and obviously I'm looking for the best protection for these areas now.

Thoughts/Comments???

Also, does anyone have any scoop on any new model boots in the works by Alpinestar that will be coming out near-term?

• eBayThumper

Posted March 30, 2001 - 08:29 AM

Hey Paul in AZ,

I guess the tech8s are the 'cush' boots but I did hear some guys say that the removable insert can be strange to get used to. I opted for the tech6s and they are comfy.

As for your ankle,,,I am going to start wearing a brace on the left and was told that the tech6s are more accommodating of inside gear.

About those other boots you mentioned...I thought Alpinestars were the ONLY boot...(just kidding)

good luck and happy trails.......

• YZ400Court

Posted March 30, 2001 - 08:55 AM

Paul,
Tech-8 boots are GREAT!!!!! I bought mine from Piper Performance. Yhey have great prices. They are near the Deer Valley airport.
Good luck
Court

------------------
Pretend it's flat and give it the gas.

• Bill

Posted March 30, 2001 - 10:46 PM

Hey Paul,

I had a similar post on the Wr side this week. You may want to check it out. I went with the Tech 8's. They said the 8's would be very stiff, would take some time to break in, offered the most ankle support, replacable sole insert and longest lasting boot.

I used to have the Gaerne RX Pro's. They're a very nice boot, easy to break in, but not much ankle support.

Bill

------------------
97 KDX220, 86 TTR225, 99 WR400f, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards, Scotts steering damper. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DaveJ

Posted March 30, 2001 - 10:53 PM

I went with the Vectors. The sole of the shoe kind of came apart after the second ride, but it was an easy fix.

However, for comfort and feel of the machine, I think they are the best boot you can get. I love 'em!!!

As for safety, I think just about any boot is going to be the same. Just make sure they fit snug without being to tight.

• daveyg

Posted March 30, 2001 - 10:59 PM

My two sense: I had tech 8's and destroyed the sole insert on my shifting foot within two months of riding. After replacing the insert, the new replacement (they cost 18 bucks) came unglued after four rides. But, the real problem is this: The sole replacements get inserted in a tongue and groove method. I destroyed the tongue, so the new insoles wouldn't have held anyway. Personally, I think it's a poor design, but that's just me. I know friends still using 8's with no problems whatsoever. Some people tend to be very light on sole abuse. I sold the boots after Alpinestar re-soled them for no charge. Maybe they have improved this, but I am hard on the soles of my boots and went with FOX Forma's. They seem to be holding up great. The 8's were more comfy. I'd have to say for ankle support, the FOX's work better for me. Just my two sense.

daveyg

• daveyg

Posted March 30, 2001 - 11:01 AM

My two sense: I had tech 8's and destroyed the sole insert on my shifting foot within two months of riding. After replacing the insert, the new replacement (they cost 18 bucks) came unglued after four rides. But, the real problem is this: The sole replacements get inserted in a tongue and groove method. I destroyed the tongue, so the new insoles wouldn't have held anyway. Personally, I think it's a poor design, but that's just me. I know friends still using 8's with no problems whatsoever. Some people tend to be very light on sole abuse. I sold the boots after Alpinestar re-soled them for no charge. Maybe they have improved this, but I am hard on the soles of my boots and went with FOX Forma's. They seem to be holding up great. The 8's were more comfy. I'd have to say for ankle support, the FOX's work better for me. Just my two sense.

daveyg

• eBayThumper

Posted March 31, 2001 - 04:18 PM

Hey Davey...I guess that's your 4 cents now eh?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.