07 450f which piston with stage 2 hotcams???

19 replies to this topic
  • Nickm27

Posted January 31, 2011 - 10:00 AM

Im looking for which piston upgrade to go with... here is my mod list

carb has adjustable air-fuel screw
boyesen quickstart 3 with adjustable leak
twin air filter
mega bomb header
power core 4 silencer

I do alot of trail riding along with mx tracks.

any help/ ideas would be helpful

Thanks!

• grayracer513

Posted January 31, 2011 - 10:18 AM

It depends on where you want the power. My favorite aftermarket piston is CP, but I run OEM Yamaha in my own bikes because of their low cost, reliability, and the flexibility the lower, 12.5:1 ration gives me as to what fuels I can run. There is also the opinion held by some that higher compression interferes with power production at high engine RPM. Whether that's true or not, and in some cases it clearly is, most of the gain you get from higher compression does come in at lower and mid range speeds.

If you ride mostly for fun, or like a 50/50 recreational and racing mix, or you just want the bike to last a long time without messing with it, try to avoid pistons with a single compression ring. The power gain is minimal, but the effect on ring life is fairly significant.

• Nickm27

Posted January 31, 2011 - 10:22 AM

I ride about 50/50 fun/racing. I do want the longevity out of the engine... all internals are completely stock now. Im looking to just make it as fast and powerful as possible with out interfering with the reliablity of the engine.

Thanks for your feedback!!!

• Nickm27

Posted January 31, 2011 - 10:25 AM

As for where im wanting the power, low to mid would be better for me, but i do use the full rpm range of the bike so i dont really want to kill the top end..

I also already order the stage 2 hot cams so i can very well change that... but i have ordered a piston yet so im open to about anything on this and more mods as well

• beezer

Posted February 01, 2011 - 09:48 AM

The cams and the higher compression would prolly work together pretty well.

The cams take away low end but add top and vice versa.

• Nickm27

Posted February 01, 2011 - 11:08 AM

So im going to run the Stage 2 hotcams, would a 13.5:1 piston even the bottom end out?? Or what are my options with the piston

Gray: were you suggesting to go with the single ring piston or NOT to???

Besides the cams and a higher compression piston, what are some other mods to help gather more power out of this engine...

Also what size piston will i be looking at? will i need to wait to see what the inside of the sleeve looks like to see about boring?? or can you even bore this type of metal?

• grayracer513

Posted February 01, 2011 - 11:40 AM

Gray: were you suggesting to go with the single ring piston or NOT to???

If you ride mostly for fun, or like a 50/50 recreational and racing mix, or you just want the bike to last a long time without messing with it, try to avoid pistons with a single compression ring.

I think that was clear enough.

In my opinion, you should forget the cams and the compression boost. The Stage Two's are not that much more powerful than the '07 is to begin with, and the OEM piston is going to be more reliable.

If it needs a piston, or you add one anyway, there is no oversize for wear. If the bore has more than .002" wear, it needs to be replaced or replated and restored to standard size.

• Nickm27

Posted February 01, 2011 - 11:48 AM

Are you saying i could get more gains out of the stage 1 cams than i would the stage 2 cams?

My bike doesnt need a piston or cams for that matter, im just looking for more power

• grayracer513

Posted February 01, 2011 - 12:12 PM

Are you saying i could get more gains out of the stage 1 cams than i would the stage 2 cams?

Of course not.

• Nickm27

Posted February 01, 2011 - 04:24 PM

Ok, soooooo? why are you saying forget the cams and pistons? lol just for realiability reasons?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mikedabike

Posted February 01, 2011 - 07:46 PM

You want more low to mid, stage 2 hot cams are not going to give that to you. They will generally move the power up in the range which is were the power already is with the 07. The 07 does have a big hole in the power low to mid but the pipe you have should have addressed that to an extent I would think. HC piston might give you a bit but don't expect a huge difference. Make sure the jetting is spot on and gear it properly and it should pull up into the power nicely. Unless you are just looking for uncontrollable wheelspin or somehting like that

• Slinkyman16

Posted February 01, 2011 - 07:50 PM

What grey is saying is that ur choice in cams are not that much better then the stock 07 cams.. The gains are minimal at best. But if u got the money spend it.. I went nuts on mine.. Just make sure everything works together.. And not be counter productive..

• brentn

Posted February 01, 2011 - 07:55 PM

My bike doesnt need a piston or cams for that matter, im just looking for more power

I think he's trying to say that with the cams your not going to notice much difference?

• Nickm27

Posted February 01, 2011 - 09:36 PM

Yes, i just kinda wanna go nuts on it, in the right way!!! I went with stage 2 to bring the power mid to high, thinking a higher compression piston would gain some on the bottom... i dont ride the bike on bottom much, but i want it to be there when i do for just playing around on local trails and hillclimbs...

• Nickm27

Posted February 01, 2011 - 09:39 PM

slinky.... what would be a better choice in cams for overall power gains????

thanks for all the advice guys, it really helps

• Slinkyman16

Posted February 02, 2011 - 12:10 PM

Check out crower cams. He can get u a custom grind for any power curve u want or get the pc cams..

• Nickm27

Posted February 02, 2011 - 04:57 PM

slinky... what all is done to your bike as far as engine mods?

• Slinkyman16

Posted February 03, 2011 - 11:00 PM

Pro circuit ported head, pro circuit cams, pro circuit springs/retainers, dlc coated cam buckets, je 13.5.1 pistion( pro circuit spec) berlrium Copper seats, ti valves.. Jetting to spec, runs on 106 octane( by choice). Pro circuit ti4r exhaust system.

• Nickm27

Posted February 05, 2011 - 11:17 AM

Sounds like it prolly scoots pretty well!!

Im thinking about a +3mm crank/rod with a big bore top end.. stock head stage 2 cams stock valves/springs.

• brentn

Posted February 05, 2011 - 12:29 PM

Pro circuit ported head, pro circuit cams, pro circuit springs/retainers, dlc coated cam buckets, je 13.5.1 pistion( pro circuit spec) berlrium Copper seats, ti valves.. Jetting to spec, runs on 106 octane( by choice). Pro circuit ti4r exhaust system.

wow, how much money did you spend on all of that?

Personally pro circuit IMO is over-rated, they're good but I've heard some terrible customers service stories..

Ron Hamp is the way I'll be going after next season. His dyno numbers were very impressive!
Going to buy a new head during the summer, strip it, and send it out to him to have it ported and I want to get a set of his cams and valves. Step by step, I usually cannot afford to have all the work done at once, but over the summer I should have everything I need.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.