GYT-R Tuner Issues.

9 replies to this topic
  • RJacks

Posted January 30, 2011 - 05:39 PM

I've got a problem with my tuner and my '10 YZF. The bike only has 11-12 hours on it, and it's been great every ride. The tuner has been great too, having the ability to tune it for shrt and long tracks, slick and loamy, muddy etc. has been great. Last ride before today I uploaded a map into the tuner, it was a tweaked version of one of the maps on Yamaha's website. The tune was OK, but needed more tweaking. That's besides the point. The problem is it won't come off of the ECU. I loaded the Marmont tune (Map 01 in my tuner) last night, or so I thought. I get to the track and the bike seems very, very similar to last ride which shouldn't happen because I started the day with Map 01 and switched to my other tune (Map 07) halfway through the day and noticed a huge difference as usual. Now mind you, I am also trying new gearing, I went to a 50 tooth rear today to bridge the gap between 2nd and 3rd. The problem with the map I made was it made the power more like the old motor, mid to top type power band with little to no hit off the bottom. So when I switched to the Marmont tune today I still noticed no hit, then switched to stock and still no hit, even with 2 teeth lower on the gearing. OK, now the problem. I retrieved the map from the ECU to see what's up and lo and behold, my Map 07 comes up. I was like ***? So I immediately loaded Map 01 and retrieved it, it came back as Map 01 on the ECU. Went and rode a moto same performance, retrieved the map, Map 07 came up, again ***? I erased Map 07 and made it all zero's like stock and loaded and retrieved it real quick, no issues until I start and run the bike. Whether I start it and let it run for a few minutes or go ride a moto, same performance, and when I retrieve the map the old Map 07 comes back. A big ***??? I erased Map 07, it's all zero's until I start it then the ECU remembers the old Map 07. Sorry for the long post, but is anyone having similar issues? Anyone know a remedy? I've changed the batteries, I've checked for codes, nothing, nothing, nothing. The bike still runs fine no probs, I just wanted to load a map with more hit for the track I was at today whether it be stock or one of the other maps I have.

• brentn

Posted January 30, 2011 - 06:02 PM

That's messed, the ECU should remember the map and not return to 000's at all on or off. The wierdest is that it goes back to the #7 map even though you checked that it was all 000!

If I were u I would disconnect the ECU from the harness completely. The capacitor will hold a small amount of energy and who knows if it's interfearing with the ECU's flash memory.
Re-connect with the bike off of course and then retrieve the ecu data. Regardless if it is your #7 map or all 000's go back to the settings and upload a 000 map again.
Turn off the tuner, disconnect it, then disconnect the ECU once more from the harness and re-connect it.

Start the bike, now retrieve the data, hopefully it will be a 0 map. Ride for a bit and see if it changes like before, if it didn't then hopefully we have fixed the issue.
If it still persists I would assume that you have bad flash memory on the ECU and it is no longer reading/writing correctly. Probably have to replace it.

• Gunner354

Posted January 30, 2011 - 06:15 PM

Change the batteries in tuner.

• RJacks

Posted January 30, 2011 - 06:24 PM

Change the batteries in tuner.

Yea, well thanks for not reading the last few sentences of my post.

I will try disconnecting the ECU Brent.

• brentn

Posted January 30, 2011 - 06:50 PM

The batteries have **** all to do with tuning, they only operate the tuner if you want it to work when the bike is off. You can run the tuner on the bike without batteries plugged in the bike as the bike's 14V system will run the tuner.

I've seen flash ram go bad lots of time back in my computer repair days, memory cards that format, yet still have old data on it etc. All kinds of weird shit.
Point being, hopefully completely disconnecting the ECU from any kind of power in the capacitor in the lower part of the bike might help with the issue... It's really an educated guess nothing more, hopefully it works :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 30, 2011 - 07:48 PM

The batteries have **** all to do with tuning, they only operate the tuner if you want it to work when the bike is off. You can run the tuner on the bike without batteries plugged in the bike as the bike's 14V system will run the tuner.

I was under the impression that the bike had to be shut down to rewrite the maps.

Either way, they were changed.

One of two things is happening, and I think the only way to tell which, if the total disconnect doesn't work, is to try to overwrite the ECU with another tuner. The problem could be either that the tuner is not writing to the ECU correctly due to some fault with the tuner, or that a defect within the ECU is causing it to refuse the overwrite.

In either case, I'd suggest you get a dealer service manger involved so that the documentation is done right. You might get some assistance with it.

• brentn

Posted January 30, 2011 - 07:50 PM

yea your right lol, you have to have the bike off to write maps, but not to retrieve maps.
Good point, maybe it is the tuner, didn't think of that at all yet the possibility was staring me in the face the whole time :thumbsup:

• ChillyKTM

Posted March 01, 2011 - 12:41 PM

is it true that reg AA batteries should NOT be used in tuner ?

• rcmxracing

Posted March 01, 2011 - 12:55 PM

RJacks: Are you sure you are "sending" the load to the bike and not selecting "load" which is for "loading" a setting to the tuner. At this point I've either insulted your intelligence (sorry) or shown once again that this tuner has the absolute WORST user interface. It is really piss poor. Even how they highlight what's selected on the crappy screen is confusing. Yamaha are you listening!? I hope an aftermarket company comes out with something better...it wouldn't be difficult.

• RJacks

Posted March 01, 2011 - 02:38 PM

RJacks: Are you sure you are "sending" the load to the bike and not selecting "load" which is for "loading" a setting to the tuner. At this point I've either insulted your intelligence (sorry) or shown once again that this tuner has the absolute WORST user interface. It is really piss poor. Even how they highlight what's selected on the crappy screen is confusing. Yamaha are you listening!? I hope an aftermarket company comes out with something better...it wouldn't be difficult.

Yeah I was clicking send, but some how I was returning back to the setting home page which I guess puts it back to where you were. I guess once you send a map, you should just power it off after you select OK. The other thing I noticed is if you select load to see what you had in the ECU, it will load it over top of whichever map # you last edited in the edit screen. So in other words, if the last map I edited was #5, no matter how many maps I send to the ECU, whenever I retrieve it it will put in on #5. Everything's all good, I guess if you shut it off from the send screen you're good. The thing is, I've used it a hundred times before I had this problem, guess I had a brain fart.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.