Best aftermarket hot start?

Hi folks. I'm trying to decide on an aftermarket hot start for my new 09 YZ450F an would appreciate your help.

I want to replace the OEM one with one that has an integrated rotator style clamp to prevent broken levers out on the trails...not to mention the stock one really doesn't fit me very well (I am a vertically challenged rider with short fingers too:banghead:). There are lots and lots of options out their, but it's hard to choose.

I like the looks of the Works Connection vertical HS that is supposed to be mounted on the brake side, but am worried that my short thumb won't be able to reach while applying the brake at the same time (I have a tendency to tip over on some steep terrain:ride:). I've thought about mounting it on the clutch side, requiring my left thumb to push up on it instead of down..not sure if that would work.

I've also looked at the Sunline vertical HS as well as ARC versions, but I'm concerned about getting my short fingers to engage them.

What would be perfect is a HS that is on the clutch side and is activated by a horizontal throw below the bars. Haven't been able to find one yet that wasn't a part of a custom perch assembly.

Any and all help would be appreciated.?

Just in case you were wondering...here's a pic of my ride. Needs to warm up a bit here in Northern Idaho before she gets muddy!?

ZSRC-BriansBike2011.JPG DSCN0381.jpg

Edited by Moscow Roost
wanted to add another photo

The sunline hot start rotator clamp mounts on either side(clutch/brake).The motion on the sunline hot start moves horizontaly,and mounts on the under side of the bars.Ive tried it and it works quite well.At least you can move it to either side to see where it works best for you.

The sunline hot start rotator clamp mounts on either side(clutch/brake).The motion on the sunline hot start moves horizontaly,and mounts on the under side of the bars.Ive tried it and it works quite well.At least you can move it to either side to see where it works best for you.

Thanks for the suggestion. I assume this is one of the older versions? All the newer Sunline ones look to be vertical hot starts.

Zeta make one which will mount onto the brake or clutch side. It is part of their nylon insert rotator range. It is thumb operated with a horizontal throw. I ordered one yesterday, if it gets here tomorrow, i'll post a pic.

Zeta make one which will mount onto the brake or clutch side. It is part of their nylon insert rotator range. It is thumb operated with a horizontal throw. I ordered one yesterday, if it gets here tomorrow, i'll post a pic.

Thanks much. I also saw one made by ASV which had a horizontal throw on the clutch side. I looked at the ZETA ones and they look like vertical hot start levers. The only horizontal one is one made specifically for their perch.

Edited by Moscow Roost
more information

Thanks much. I also saw one made by ASV which had a horizontal throw on the clutch side. I looked at the ZETA ones and they look like vertical hot start levers. The only horizontal one is one made specifically for their perch.

Yah, that's what I thought too. Then I found this one. Fitted today. I put it on the brake side. Nice quality. Clutch side is getting crowded with a LHRB and 2 finger clutch override. ?

7c22896e.jpg

Yah, that's what I thought too. Then I found this one. Fitted today. I put it on the brake side. Nice quality. Clutch side is getting crowded with a LHRB and 2 finger clutch override. ?

7c22896e.jpg

Where did you get it? I can't find anything like that on any of my normal ZETA distributor websites. Looks nice...It would be perfect if they made one for the clutch side with the lever on the bottom like this one.

I do recall a GYTR , thumb, clutch side ?????

You are correct, although as stupid as this may sound... I didn't want it because of the blue lever. I have one of the White YZF's and most of my aftermarket accessories are either red or black. Trying to stick with the theme.

I have the Dr.D one on my '09. I have it on the brake side since that's what it's made for and that's where I wanted to move it to anyway. The distance is pretty close to being the same from the grip as if I had it on the clutch side, so no extra reaching for it. I've had to use it in some crazy positions on the track and the trail where I needed to hold the brake and had no problem. I like having it on the brake side because it feels more natural and it keeps me from accidentally twisting the throttle while I'm kicking. The only thing wrong with the Dr.D is there's no plastic sleeve, but then I have the Sunline V1 levers so it's not needed. I do like the really easy to see red lever, though. ?

Just a side note, if you do end up with it on the brake side, you'll want to reroute the cable to the right side of the frame. It's a bit too short to wrap all the way around the head tube and up to the brake perch.