HOW MUCH BETTER 426 THAN THE 400

4 replies to this topic
  • NICK_FELT

Posted March 29, 2001 - 06:34 PM

I WOULD LIIKE YOUR HELP ON HOW MUCH BETTER THE 426 IS COMPARED TO THE 400. TECHNICAL THINGS AND THE RIDE IT SELF. :)

• oldnbold

Posted March 30, 2001 - 07:55 AM

Originally posted by NICK FELT:
I WOULD LIIKE YOUR HELP ON HOW MUCH BETTER THE 426 IS COMPARED TO THE 400. TECHNICAL THINGS AND THE RIDE IT SELF. :)

I have had the 98 and am currently owner of '00 and I can say the '00 is faster in these ways. The 426 in my best guess is 10-15% more powerful than 98 and it is noticeable immediately. The geometry on the 00 allows it to easily take and maintain the inside line where the 98 was at it's best in outside lines and struggled with the inside line. The ergo's on a stock 98 had the bars in your lap and the fix was aftermarket clamps and bars, the 00 wasn't nearly as bad but needed them as well. The rear brake on 00 was more powerful (too much) and requires more touch. The rearshock on the 00 is more adjustable (high speed dampening adj) and is easier to dial in. The clutch on the 98 was much less grabby than the 00. The forks were both good. the 98 was bulletproof. From what I read, the 00 not as bulletproof.

Summation: the 00 is faster and more versatile, the 98 more bulletproof but plenty fast.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZ400Court

Posted March 30, 2001 - 09:06 AM

I own a 98 400. A friend has a 2000 426. H e likes the power of the 400 better. The big gun pipe on my bike gives it a lot of grunt, and takes away from the top end. When trail riding or desert riding this is great. His 426 has a white bros pipe, and lots of top end pull. I'd rather have the grunt. As for being bulletproof, Neither of us have had any suspension reliability problems. I have broken a connecting rod, and later an intake valve. Both problems apparentlly fixed in the 426. The 426 has a brass bushing top bearing on the rod, and the 2001 comes with Titanium valves. I'll be rebuilding my 400 with 426 rod and valve train.

any 426 should be more reliable in the long run over a 400, 2001 426 with TI valves should be the best for reliability. I have my suspension serviced regularly, and have had no problems.

Hope this helps,
Court

------------------
Pretend it's flat and give it the gas.

• Blueblood

Posted April 02, 2001 - 03:29 AM

Good question. I have a 99yz400..10oz.flyweight..WB header w/ E-series pipe..JN suspension w/Heavy-duty springs..TC hot start..and more. With all this stuff and the jetting dialed in to a gnat's ass I've got better handling and starting capabilities (than a stock 426) but you've gotta hand it to those engineers, cuz the Ti valves are such a jump in rev and snap coupled with the extra CC's...well I hate to say it but 4-2-6. And if you do all the jetting, exhaust and suspension mods to the 426 then there's no doubt you're on the superior machine. I, personally am holding out for the 450f.

------------------
Lez Ride!
BB-

• emcdan

Posted April 02, 2001 - 05:02 AM

I have a 98' YZ400 and just rode my friend's new 01' 426. No doubt the 01' pulls harder on the mid and top. The starting is probably a little easier on the newer bikes because of the re-mapping and less need of the hot start. I always like bikes that have been ridden some. It takes so long to get the suspension broken in and the way you like it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.