KTM 50 Pro Senior vs Pro Junior advice

6 replies to this topic
  • rustygrim

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:48 AM

I have a boy that is getting a bit big for his CRF 50, and is already over-riding it. It seems natural that we move to a better and slightly bigger bike. A 65 is too much, and the whole clutch thing would be too much.

The 4-stroke 70's don't have the suspension and such to make them worth looking at.

So it seems natural that we go to the hopped up version of the KTM. He sat on a Pro Junior and it seemed too small for him. My big questions is this: What are the differences between the Pro Junior and Pro Senior. I am assuming that the Pro Senior is taller –*but can not find accurate specs that prove this to me.

Other questions: Between 2004 and 2008 or 2009 what are the key differences between the model years? To me, it looks like the same bike, spec'd the same way.

Jack is 7 -- and is big and athletic for his age.

Can anyone out there help me? I want one of these that is a taller version

Is this a good deal:

http://portland.crai...2180228052.html

Thanks so much for your help.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • John45

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:46 AM

How tall is your son ? I just went through this and as a matter of fact just returned from the dealer. My son is 7 (he turns 8 in june) and is 65# and 53" tall. Today at the dealer he sat on a 2008 65xc and it was a perfect fit. He has been riding a DRZ 70 and your right. When my son decides to ride hard/fast the suspension on the 70 isnt enough.

So I will give you the same advice everyone gave me. Get the 65. At his age and skill he will be able to learn the clutch. Also there's a chance he can stay in 2nd gear for most of his riding he does; unless he is already a up and coming MX star. In which case he can learn up/down shifting faster than you and I think.

Good luck and happy riding :thumbsup:

• maximoose

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:33 AM

The Pro Senior has a height adjustment, which is a bolt to drop/raise the swing arm and then you adjust the forks to match. Pretty simple. IMO, if your son is tall enough to fit a 65, I would go that route. My son went from a CRF50 to 70 to a Pro Senior to a KTM65 in six months. Learning the clutch, in terms of getting the bnbike started and stopped is not that big of a deal. Shifting correctly does take a while and you can limit the 65's if you want to. The Pro Senior's clutches are notoriously a PITA and you will be doing a lot of work on it, so if you go that way, be prepared.

• rustygrim

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:05 AM

Hey Maximoose and John45 -- You've convinced me. We're going to go with a 65. Jack's big and really athletic for his age. His grandfather took him over to see a used KTM 65 to see and everyone no thinks he can do it. So, we're thinking a KX65 if we can find one. A bit more reliable and less spendy than the KTM. And we currently have no plans to be racing.

Really nice of you guys to help me out. Hope to see you on a track someday. Maybe Eddyville in February.

• maximoose

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:40 AM

Just FYI the powerband hit on a pre-2004 KTM65 will be a lot different. Newer 65's are a lot mellower. KX and KTM are the same size. We lowered our KTM (forks and shock) and took the seat to an upholstery shop to have it shaved an inch. Came out great for $20.

• crfloco

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:17 AM

Just FYI the powerband hit on a pre-2004 KTM65 will be a lot different. Newer 65's are a lot mellower. KX and KTM are the same size. We lowered our KTM (forks and shock) and took the seat to an upholstery shop to have it shaved an inch. Came out great for $20.

Good advice maximoose, I agree with you 100%. We have a 2011 KTM 65 and the power is much smoother. Our son just came off of a KTM 50 SR and has been on the 65 for about 1 month. He just turned 8 last November and weigh's 60 lbs soaking wet . I think I spent more time worrying about him learning how to stop and go with the clutch than it actually took him. :thumbsup:

• rustygrim

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:16 AM

I'm in 100%. I've got Jack's Grampa Tom searching for a KX or KTM 65 on Craigslist, will look post 2004.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.