GoPro File Size

2 replies to this topic
  • LongW8

Posted January 28, 2011 - 06:56 PM

My wife got me a GoPro for Christmas. I took a video of an ice race last weekend,
Can somebody give me step by step instructions on how to make the file size smaller. I would also like to edit these things a bit. I already downloaded MPG_streamclip.
I saved the MP4 files as .avi file and the thing went from 1.5GB to 6.5GB.

I would like to share these videos with some friends.:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Blake8418

Posted January 28, 2011 - 07:18 PM

i edit with sony vegas 9 and just put the raw GOPRO HD file in the timeline. After editing it i export it as a wmv( windows media audio/video) file.
You can change the bitrate in the export settings to make the file size (and quality) higher or lower.
:thumbsup:

• pumasforpets

Posted January 28, 2011 - 07:34 PM

My wife got me a GoPro for Christmas. I took a video of an ice race last weekend,
Can somebody give me step by step instructions on how to make the file size smaller. I would also like to edit these things a bit. I already downloaded MPG_streamclip.
I saved the MP4 files as .avi file and the thing went from 1.5GB to 6.5GB.

I would like to share these videos with some friends.:thumbsup:

Think of MP4 as a video version of MP3. It's highly compressed and streamlined, yet not of the same overall quality as what you would get if you bought a music CD.

The uncompressed version of MP3 would be .wav which can be as much as 10 times larger than an MP3 for the same song. Same goes with .avi and MP4. The .avi would be an uncompressed version of MP4 which is why the file grew so much. Try saving as .mpg if you can and see what that gets you. That file type can be directly uploaded to sites like youtube and should be quite smaller than .avi

If you use windows, then microsoft movie maker is free and you can use it to cut the video into smaller chunks or cut out the boring bits. If you use apple, the iMovie will do the trick.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.