2009 WR 450 Axle bearings

12 replies to this topic
  • jw423

Posted January 28, 2011 - 10:36 AM

Are the axle bearings on the 2009 WR 450 sealed?
Also anyone have a good way to get them out without speacial tools.
Or if speacial tools needed where is a good place to get em.

Thanks!

• GuyGraham

Posted January 28, 2011 - 11:05 AM

yes they're sealed

to get them out, a drift and a hammer from the opposite side is the way to do it

• bauten

Posted January 28, 2011 - 02:26 PM

did mine last week with drift and hammer on the front i heated the hub up just a bit seemed to come out alot easier

• jw423

Posted January 28, 2011 - 06:00 PM

If they are sealed is there any reason to take them out? Just throw some grease on the axel and that should be good right?

• GuyGraham

Posted January 29, 2011 - 02:13 AM

Sealed doesn't mean everlasting

The seals are rubber, and the lips wear allowing moisture in and the grease out

If they are fine, with no play then don't disturb them
If they worn then they need replacing

you should always apply grease to the axle - it stops the axle rusting to the bearings

• wrwest

Posted January 29, 2011 - 10:32 AM

Buy a set af ALLBALLS bearings they are sealed bearings and you have the seal on the hub for a doule protection !

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • panaman

Posted January 30, 2011 - 02:56 PM

I've used a big screw driver and a hammer to knock them out before.....
But you guys have peaked my interest...... whats a drift and where do i get one?

• strtdsmallproject

Posted January 30, 2011 - 05:47 PM

I use a brass punch "drift" also from opposite side. I only change bearings when wheel wobbles.

• panaman

Posted January 31, 2011 - 10:07 AM

is this what you guys are referring too when you say "Drift"?
http://lh4.googleuse...M8ntp5HMjM9IiHw

I've always just called them Punch tools

• gsa102

Posted January 31, 2011 - 12:16 PM

Yes. The larger the flat area at the point, the better, to keep it from slipping off. Brass is the best to keep from marking up parts like the hubs and such.

The bearings on the front wheel of my 07 are not sealed bearings, but you could put sealed ones in. I just had the back off but didn't pay attention to them.

Edited by gsa102, January 31, 2011 - 12:22 PM.
Content

• L. Euler

Posted January 31, 2011 - 09:31 PM

i always use a 1/2" brass dowel as a drift to remove bearings and races. Its better to dent the punch than the bearing or race.

• BigBanger

Posted February 01, 2011 - 01:17 AM

When fitting a new bearing I prefer to only hit the outer race edge of the bearing, also use a socket to drift it in squarely. A press is an even better idea.

• jw423

Posted February 01, 2011 - 06:43 PM

Excelent guys! Just what I needed to know I realy appreciate it. I took em apart and it looks like I have sealed in the back and the front ones are not. I'm glad I asked and didn't spend a lot of time trying to get the rears out.

Thanks again!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.