New 2006 YZ450F misc maintenance ???

12 replies to this topic
  • ZTUNAMANN

Posted January 28, 2011 - 08:36 AM

Picked up a decent '06 YZ450 for $2,200 and want to do some maintenance before first ride Saturday... what weight oil do you guys put in these and how much of it? Would it be the same weight I could use in the kids TTR's?

Are there any specific issues I should be aware of?

TIA,
Zimm

• grayracer513

Posted January 28, 2011 - 08:49 AM

Download:

http://www.yamaha-mo...uals/index.aspx

Read:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=852961

http://www.thumperta...432#post2685432

Pay a visit to this page:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=447989

....and clean the air filter.

Questions?

• kingzero

Posted January 28, 2011 - 04:45 PM

Make sure you change the timing chain. Mine streched enough to let it jump a tooth on the intake cam. 06's had a stretchy chain.

The head tube bearings and seal on the top were also crap.

There are many threads going over these topics. Just do a search for 06 yz450f and you should be able to find everything you need. That and the links Grey provided.

I run 15-40 Rotella in my bike. New filter every other change.

• grayracer513

Posted January 28, 2011 - 06:16 PM

Do not run Rotella unless you plan to change oil each ride.

• kingzero

Posted January 29, 2011 - 11:48 AM

Do not run Rotella unless you plan to change oil each ride.

Why not? I thought everyone ran that stuff.

• Smokeslider

Posted January 29, 2011 - 12:33 PM

Why not? I thought everyone ran that stuff.

A lot do, they just need to change it sooner because it won't hold up to the Transmission and clutch abuse. Guys think they are saving a bunch of money by using inexpensive Rotella but it seems to be a wash in the end with tighter change intervals. I'd rather have piece of mind with a better quality oil.
Chad

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • slagburn666

Posted January 29, 2011 - 01:00 PM

I run mobil 1 racing 10w40 in my 08 yz 450 in my kids 00 ttr 125, and my daughters 00 ttr 90. never had any problems with it. I change both bikes every 2-3 rides or 12 hours. I also do the oil filter every change in my 450. The 450 takes 1 quart without the filter, and a little over a quart with the filter. definately +1 on the timing chain. just did mine. I was amazed how stretched it was. even more, when i laid it on my bench I could feel at least half of the links were binding and kinked.

• slagburn666

Posted January 29, 2011 - 01:28 PM

just went to the book cause i know i said a little over a quart. technical is 1.06 with the oil filter and 1.0 without. i do know a lot of guys doing the oil filter every other or every 3 changes. i rather knowing it is done every time i change the oil. also, atleast 1x a year, i pull apart the rear suspension, to clean and grease the bearings and the front to clean and grease the steering head bearings. definatley keep up on the air filter every ride
too.

• brentn

Posted January 29, 2011 - 02:15 PM

for trail riders, IMO it's better to change your oil all of the time because you never know when the breather sucks up dirt and water from the trail. It happens, not all the time, but imaging it happened and you were only on the first hour of your 6 hour interval oil change? You'd be running that oil with water and dirt in it for another 5 hours of use before you change it and see that it's a nice chocolate milk color!

• Smokeslider

Posted January 29, 2011 - 09:16 PM

for trail riders, IMO it's better to change your oil all of the time because you never know when the breather sucks up dirt and water from the trail. It happens, not all the time, but imaging it happened and you were only on the first hour of your 6 hour interval oil change? You'd be running that oil with water and dirt in it for another 5 hours of use before you change it and see that it's a nice chocolate milk color!

Or reroute the thing like a lot of guys have done and forget about it. I always wondered if this would ever happen to my bike until i just spent the $3.48 and an hour of my time and just got it over with.

• brentn

Posted January 29, 2011 - 09:25 PM

IMO it needs a bypass and a filter on both ends. I've read all the threads on it and how the research is supposed to show that the hose will not suck debris more than half way up the hose... however when I pulled my valve cover cap after 20 hours and found this;
Posted Image
I don't care what anyone says.
Probably came in there during a startup in dusty conditions, but either way it needs a bypass and filters on both ends and that wouldn't have happened.

• Smokeslider

Posted January 29, 2011 - 09:29 PM

To each there own, I haven't had any problems with my system but that isn't to say that I won't in the future. I'm just disappointed that Yamaha didn't come up with something better than they did.

• primerib108

Posted January 30, 2011 - 04:31 PM

My 06 yz450 had a valve cover looking like that.......my oil filter had debris in it too which led to a tear down and thankfully no problems. I flamed out in a bog and the location of that stupid breather hose sucked it up, but now I rerouted it to the airbox and no more problems like that anymore.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.