Lexx MXe db levels?

15 replies to this topic
  • 802wrRider

Posted January 28, 2011 - 05:12 AM

hey all i was curious as to what the db levels are for this pipe on an 03 wr450. i know what the description on RM says but i didnt know if anyone had one on this same bike and had it tested. thanks~ also are these pipes any good? everything ive read says that for the price they are great!

• meanxr

Posted January 30, 2011 - 11:50 AM

Don't know exactly what the db level is, but not much louder than stock. Performance wise, you can definitely tell there is a increase in performance. They are somewhat heavy, but for the price you really can't go wrong, looks great too.

• shrubitup

Posted January 30, 2011 - 12:05 PM

I have one on a YZ250F. They're quieter than a stock YZF pipe. Heavy but prolly the same weight as a WR pipe. Heavier than a YZF pipe. Would buy again for price. Well constructed.

• 02WR426Cali

Posted January 30, 2011 - 12:22 PM

I have one on my ATC 350X and it performs excellent, pulls hard throughout. It has a very nice performance tone and is not loud at all with the quiet core/ spark arrestor that comes with the pipe. I would say it's probably mid 90s for DB but that's just a guess

• 802wrRider

Posted January 31, 2011 - 05:14 AM

thanks guys. i am twisted between the fmf q4 and the lexx pipe. so we'll see. it depends on how much money i have when it comes time to order. anyone used both of those pipes that could give me a comparison?

• 02WR426Cali

Posted January 31, 2011 - 07:26 AM

Yeah I have the LEXX on my ATC as mentioned and I have the Q4 on my dirt bike. Both are nice and quiet and somewhat heavy. The nice things about the LEXX is the price and it's tunability. With the Q4 you are stuck as is, one tip and that's it. LEXX has like 3 or 4 different tips you can play around with. Both seem like high quality to me so no difference there.

• shrubitup

Posted January 31, 2011 - 04:10 PM

Yeah I have the LEXX on my ATC as mentioned and I have the Q4 on my dirt bike. Both are nice and quiet and somewhat heavy. The nice things about the LEXX is the price and it's tunability. With the Q4 you are stuck as is, one tip and that's it. LEXX has like 3 or 4 different tips you can play around with. Both seem like high quality to me so no difference there.

Ya, I bought the trail saver tip to go with it. Extremely quiet as in XR80 sound but it completely lost power. However it does give me the ability to poach neighborhood trails and nobody knows then. :thumbsup:

I just run the regular S/A and I can't notice a huge difference power wise. I run my stock YZF pipe at the dunes only when I need max power and sound isn't critical.

Q4 is a nice unit with unique sound. If the extra $85 is worth its light weightedness vs. the Lexx then go for it. Also, the Lexx sticks out further than the Q4 so it may get whacked by trail trash faster.

• 802wrRider

Posted February 01, 2011 - 07:33 AM

so there is a power loss when the spark arrestor is in? every review i have read on the lexx pipe said there were good power gains. im running a pmb insert now. would there be a difference in power between those to setups? and also does anyone know what the q4 is putting out for sound levels compared to the stock exhaust with the pmb insert? i do alot of riding in an area where we really arent supposed to be(mainly just riding the road past peoples houses) but no one says anything because we are very respectful of there wishes and dont go ripping past there house at 10 at night. i have always herd good things about fmf pipes but i have also read some cons about the q4.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • shrubitup

Posted February 01, 2011 - 07:38 AM

so there is a power loss when the spark arrestor is in? every review i have read on the lexx pipe said there were good power gains. im running a pmb insert now. would there be a difference in power between those to setups? and also does anyone know what the q4 is putting out for sound levels compared to the stock exhaust with the pmb insert? i do alot of riding in an area where we really arent supposed to be(mainly just riding the road past peoples houses) but no one says anything because we are very respectful of there wishes and dont go ripping past there house at 10 at night. i have always herd good things about fmf pipes but i have also read some cons about the q4.

Q4 is 92 dBA I believe. Anything that restricts flow will reduce power. I'm comparing completely open MX pipe to a Lexx MXe with spark arrestor. Yes, some power is lost but nothing you can't deal with. Insert an additional restrictor to make it very quiet and the power loss is very noticeable. Stock MXe power loss is not noticeable if you're trail riding.

• 02WR426Cali

Posted February 01, 2011 - 11:39 AM

I believe both pipes are supposed to be 94db or under, that is with the normal quiet core/ SA that comes with the LEXX. LEXX also offers a super quiet core that would restrict flow and sound even more, trail saver I think they call it. If you have the stock WR pipe now the LEXX will outperform it and sound better also with the included quiet core/ SA. You can also take out the quiet core/ SA and run it open, it will be much louder but may give power increase. Lots of times people think a bike is more powerful by the amount of noise that comes out of it, but that is not always true. Just because it's louder doesn't always mean its better.

• 802wrRider

Posted February 01, 2011 - 11:52 AM

i agree. i hate loud loud pipes. they sound great on a track but when im in the woods, i dont really want people to know where i am. if the Q4 is only 92 db thats not to bad. it might be worth the extra 90 bucks. plus i've always loved the sound of the fmf pipes!

• 02WR426Cali

Posted February 01, 2011 - 12:19 PM

Well I really doubt my Q4 on my WR is 92db, that is quiet. I would get the LEXX because you have options like I mentioned. You can have a pipe that is anywhere between 90-db and 100+db depending on what tip you have installed. It comes with 2 tips, but there is like 3 others you can get also for it. RockyMountainATV sells them all. The trail saver tip would be more quiet than the Q4. The tips do not rattle around like some other mufflers I've had also. LEXX is very well built.

• 802wrRider

Posted February 01, 2011 - 12:39 PM

ok sounds good. its at least worth giving a try. like i said, every review that i have read has been excellent so the lexx it is!

• 02WR426Cali

Posted February 01, 2011 - 12:45 PM

Check these out:

http://www.thumperta...&highlight=lexx

http://www.rockymoun....do?videoId=141

Here is the same setup I have on my 426, fmf powerbomb and Q4.

Definitely sound different from one another but both are good. It's really up to you can't go wrong either way.

Edited by 02WR426Cali, February 01, 2011 - 01:44 PM.

• 802wrRider

Posted February 01, 2011 - 01:03 PM

the powerbomd, q4 video is the same as the lexx w/ trail saver and packing link. just to let you know

• 02WR426Cali

Posted February 01, 2011 - 01:43 PM

the powerbomd, q4 video is the same as the lexx w/ trail saver and packing link. just to let you know

Ooops I'll fix that haha. :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.