getting plate in california

11 replies to this topic
  • ehr1

Posted July 24, 2003 - 04:02 PM

I have a 02WR and would like to get a Calif. plate. after I install Dual sport kit what is my next move. And what kit is reccomended, the kit from Trick or Baja. thanks for you help. i really like this site and have learned alot.

• kev426

Posted July 24, 2003 - 04:18 PM

I just got my plate on a 01 wr426 it is a pice o cake. :) Read this link lots of good info. Link
Good luck :D Make shure you have all your paper work when you go to the dmv

Kevin :D

• ETP

Posted July 24, 2003 - 04:20 PM

I have owned both Trickdualsport and Baja kits. My vote goes to Trick. Its easier to install, and its electronics are packaged better in my opinion. Dale at TrickDS was very knowledgable and gives good support for his products. He also will tailor your kit to your situation. I got good support from Baja Designs too.
My 2 cents.

• tp3dxf

Posted July 25, 2003 - 02:32 PM

Your gonna have to have a signed off brake and light inspection I believe it's called a statment of facts. Which basically says the bike is street legal. A dealer or cycle shop can sign off the bike for you. But you still take full responsibility for it being so. You'll need to make sure your bike has a current green sticker. Red stickers can't get a plate. If the DMV is anal in your area your gonna need proof of insurance as well.

I got a plate for my 01WR426 without even having a dual sport kit on the bike!

No CHP inspection or DMV inspection. Just a few properly filled out forms and time in line. I did have proof if insurance but I was never asked for it.

Let me know If you need more info. I had mine done in Oxnard Ca.

• PCH

Posted July 26, 2003 - 11:51 AM

What if I have the bike tittled and plated in another state? How can I tranfer it to CA and get the CA plate on a 03' wr450? I have the duelsport kit and everything I need to be street legal (mirror, horn, lights, etc.). :) Thank you.

• JackMack

Posted July 27, 2003 - 07:49 AM

I got a plate for my 01WR426 without even having a dual sport kit on the bike!
No CHP inspection or DMV inspection. Just a few properly filled out forms and time in line. I did have proof if insurance but I was never asked for it.
Let me know If you need more info. I had mine done in Oxnard Ca.

tp3dxf, (or anyone else),
Im gonna lic my 2000 WR400 this week so I can go to Tahoe this weekend. I had a XR600 about 5 years ago I street lic'd, and I remember being suprised, (while getting the light test done), the guy didn't have to fill out a check list etc, but he just wrote in the 'statement of facts sheet'... "This bike conforms to the CA Lighting Requirments" or something like that.

So my Q is this;
Does anyone know exactly what 'they' write in the Statement of Facts sheet? And if 'they' sign it or anything else? Does the DMV look for Key words in it, like 'lights' etc.

Thanks
Jeff
San Jose, CA

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kev426

Posted July 27, 2003 - 09:30 AM

When i got mine done it looked just like THIS
Scroll down to page 2. The shop filled out everything. And "they" did sign and stamp it with there dealer stamp
When i went to the DMV i had 3 statment of facts.
1. For the lights
2.I received/read CHP form 888
3.That i understand that dual reg. is on a permanet basis.
You only need the third one if you want dual reg. Plate and a green sticker.
Good luck

Kevin :)

• Red3171

Posted July 29, 2003 - 03:37 PM

Kevin,
Your 3rd Statement of Facts is blank. Do you just write there that you would like both the Green sticker and the street plate and say that you understand it is permanent?

Thanks,
RED

• kev426

Posted July 29, 2003 - 05:08 PM

yes :) i wrote "I understand that dual registration is required on a permanent basis and that the renewal will be due for both registrations, off highway & on highway."
Check out this link it looks like no more dualsport in cali.
CA SUCKS
Kevin :D

• Red3171

Posted August 01, 2003 - 08:06 AM

Kevin,
Everything worked, I got my plate today.

Thanks,
RED

• stewagne

Posted August 01, 2003 - 02:37 PM

So I guess I'm one of the unlucky ones...

Spent an hour and a half in Los Gatos DMV, which read the rules on dual sport conversion step by step. They basically said there is no way to get a 03, "Non-compliant" (Red Stickered) bike licensed for dual sport, or get a green sticker, regardless of what you change on the bike. :)

Can anyone think of any way to get my WR450 a green sticker?

• big_G

Posted August 04, 2003 - 02:23 PM

Well, last I heard, all '03 and older bikes are automatically grandfathered to green stickerness whether or not they were labeled red or not.. thus before trying to dual sport your ride, get the conversion to a greenie first, then your papers should fly through...

I don't have any links off hand for ya but I'm sure someone else here does, still... you absolutely need to get rid of that red sticker of death before you get any further cuz you're right, dmv will have nothing to do with ya since they are f@wking pinko commies as I'm sure we all know by now.

Hope you make it dude!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.