WR450 '06 vs '07 and newer

4 replies to this topic
  • michigan400

Posted January 27, 2011 - 12:01 PM

I'm looking to get a different bike this spring. Currently have an XR400 that I do like a lot but when I think about all the upgrades I'd like to do to it and how much it would cost,,, I just don't see the point. It will still be an XR400 (that's not a bad thing mind you) and I figured I could use that money plus a little and hopefully get something with a lot more modern suspension, way stronger motor and best of all, e-start! I'll never sell the XR, it will be my back up bike and I've had too much fun on it to let it go, plus it's plated.

I'd like an 07 or newer WR450 but the used price is still very high. Is the major diff. between those and the older ones just the aluminum frame? I'm just looking for some real world feedback on the 2 generations. Besides the frame material, what would the advantage be to hold out for an 07 or newer? Were there any major changes made between 05 and 06 on the previous generation WR?

• miweber929

Posted January 27, 2011 - 01:45 PM

Do a search, this has been beaten to death and someone else asked this EXACT question within the past 2 months (even had an XR400 if I remember right).

There are some who say night and day difference, but they tend to be the picky ass bastards who feel a difference in 1/2 PSI in their tires. If you are a typical trail rider, no difference.

Carb access is way easier on steel frames, and as a step up to your XR400 (I went from an XR250 to an 00 CR250 to my 04 WR450F) you will notice a HUGE diff simply going to any WR. Aluminums are still "current" so aftermarket stuff is easier to find and are like 5 lbs. lighter than the steelies. Steelies you can usually find closeout and used aftermarket goodies but it's not as easy as it's a generation old.

Personally, I say buy what you can afford as there are really no bad 450's other than the 03 starters which are easy to fix.

Love my 04.

Mike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamaLink

Posted January 28, 2011 - 06:13 AM

My friend moved from an XR400 to a newer WR450F. He tested a steel and aluminum and went steel based on budget and his riding needs. Absolutely no buyer's remorse. He doesn't ride a whole heck of a lot and his ability is mid-B, and he loves his WR.....and the huge money saved by finding a deal.

Do a search, this has been beaten to death and someone else asked this EXACT question within the past 2 months (even had an XR400 if I remember right).

There are some who say night and day difference, but they tend to be the picky ass bastards who feel a difference in 1/2 PSI in their tires. If you are a typical trail rider, no difference.

Carb access is way easier on steel frames, and as a step up to your XR400 (I went from an XR250 to an 00 CR250 to my 04 WR450F) you will notice a HUGE diff simply going to any WR. Aluminums are still "current" so aftermarket stuff is easier to find and are like 5 lbs. lighter than the steelies. Steelies you can usually find closeout and used aftermarket goodies but it's not as easy as it's a generation old.

Personally, I say buy what you can afford as there are really no bad 450's other than the 03 starters which are easy to fix.

Love my 04.

Mike

• michigan400

Posted January 28, 2011 - 06:24 AM

Thanks!:thumbsup:

• Bandit9

Posted January 30, 2011 - 05:52 PM

My 06 that I have plated, allows me to go to Colorado or where ever and ride anywhere. Right from the door step of the hotel, right out of town and on to the trail. I also ride a few enduros a year just to see if I can still finish them easily. Might start back riding Hare Scrambles again. I'm just going to strip as much stuff off the WR stuff that I can, take the plate off, put YZ fenders/#plate on it, and go racing on the cheap, just for the fun of being at the track.
If was just going to race for points, I would start with a different bike, like a 250 or 300 2 stroke. I like the YZ250 offroad. It's pretty cheap used and doesn't take a lot to make it good in the woods.

So what are you going to do with it? A WR450 can do a lot of different things, and it serves my purposes as a multi use trail bike, occasional enduro/HS racer. Out west I'm sure it's a pretty good race bike too. Eastern style it's doable, but you better be in shape, it's sort of a beast once you get tired in the tight and technical spots. Mine has never overheated. Matter of fact I didn't tighten the radiator cap that one extra turn and was leaking coolant for the first 2 loops of an Enduro in 95 degree heat and nothing happening. I was beating up the clutch pretty good too trying to tame it in the finess sections. It's a tough bike. Takes a beating. I think a good condition 06 is a great deal at 3,000-$4000. Already with a plate would be essential for me. High bang for the buck with one for sure.

I would think the 07 would handler a bit better and look a little better, but your experience with an 07 or 06 WR450 will probably turn out the same no matter which one you choose. Any year WR450 will eat up all those sandy whooped out trails up in Mich.

How is that?

Edited by Bandit9, January 31, 2011 - 03:12 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.