carb leaking/whats up?

10 replies to this topic
  • sjw

Posted July 24, 2003 - 03:00 PM

all I did was change the main let,now fuel keeps coming out bottom hose like the float is stuck.is it how do I stop it ?

• Hick

Posted July 24, 2003 - 03:13 PM

Hmm.

Tap on the bowl a few times with a screwdriver handle or something similar.

Did you remove the bowl to change the jet, or just go through the bottom plug?

When you say "bottom hose" are you referring to the drain hose or overflow?

• sjw

Posted July 24, 2003 - 03:51 PM

I tapped it.yeh I took the bottom plug out,now its comes out the drain/hose

• sjw

Posted July 24, 2003 - 05:58 PM

I still need some help,anybody got a answer?????

• Gadsen

Posted July 24, 2003 - 06:41 PM

all I did was change the main let,now fuel keeps coming out bottom hose like the float is stuck.is it how do I stop it ?

SJW, it may have some debris in the needle ass'y, and the float level being too high is holding the debris in the needle/seat area. Here is what you can try as a little road side trick, pinch the fuel line, this allows the float to drop as the fuel is burnt away, let it go till it appears to be getting close to running out of fuel (engine is running at this time) and then release the pinch off pliers (these can be neddle nose etc) and the float will be low enough to release the debris and then the rush of fuel will usually wash it past into the float bowl. Then it should be OK. You cant even imagine how many times this has bailed my out of a carb teardown. :) Alo in the case the float is jsut hung up on the swivel, a light tap on the float bowl area with the heandle of a screwdriver can know it lose too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GrahamO

Posted July 24, 2003 - 06:46 PM

I've had the same problem before. Take it apart. Blow everything out. Put it back together and usually (and somewhat mysteriously) the leaking stops.

• Hick

Posted July 24, 2003 - 07:19 PM

I tapped it.yeh I took the bottom plug out,now its comes out the drain/hose

If it is coming out the drain hose then it isn't a float issue. Remove the screw that releases the drain and see if there is an obstruction there. Then check the outlet in the bottom of the bowl to see if it is dirty.

To recap, there is a small allen-head screw, oriented horizontally across the bike in the bottom of the carb that drains the bowl via the lower-most carb vent/drain hose. If fuel is escaping out of here then the answer is simple (or maybe not): Your fuel bowl drain is open. You just need to figure out why, and then fix that.

Hope this helps.

• Hick

Posted July 24, 2003 - 07:24 PM

Take it apart. Blow everything out. Put it back together and usually (and somewhat mysteriously) the leaking stops.

Your avatar is doing nothing to inspire confidence in your advice.

:)

No offense please, I am just cracking up at the visual irony here. Gas leak? What gas leak?

:D

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Forgive me.

• sjw

Posted July 25, 2003 - 01:55 AM

will try today after work,be back with a update

• GrahamO

Posted July 25, 2003 - 06:33 AM

Very funny.

• sjw

Posted July 26, 2003 - 11:59 AM

there was something stuck on the needle valve,looked like gasket sealer from the float bowl..thanks for the replys! shes running now !!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.