Just had an interesting conversation with Big Gun....

13 replies to this topic
  • jj

Posted March 29, 2001 - 08:34 AM

I gotta say I'm impressed. I just got off the phone with Mike at Big Gun. I called to inquire whether or not they have thought about making a spark arrestor end cap assembly for the YZ 400/426, similar to the BMP one but with a turn down end cap and without disks.

We talked about exhausts in general and like I said, I was impressed. He really seemed to know what he was talking about and I didn't get the impression he was BSing me. He actually admitted to me that they thought the stock YZ 400/426 exhaust was very good.
Hense my point, "make an end cap assembly with a spark arrestor, a turned down end cap, minus the disks."

He actually said he would talk to the owner about it and to give him a call back in 2 weeks...

If you guys are at all interested in keeping your "perfectly good" stock exhaust and need a spark arrestor, give him a call! PLEASE! :)

------------------
JJ from WA - 99 WR; WR timed, EKN Needle, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Michelin S-12's, Terry Cable hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever, Moose skid plate, Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Factory Effex graphics, YZ IMS seat base, YZ Factory Effex seat foam and gripper seat cover, YZ rear fender

• Haro

Posted March 29, 2001 - 08:45 AM

That sounds good too me....I guess I will make that phone call. Are you saying that someone already makes this setup??

• jj

Posted March 29, 2001 - 09:37 AM

Yep, http://www.bmp.motox.org./.

I just don't like the flat end cap or the disk idea. Not to mention it's $125.

I'm working on finding a screen, preferably forestry legal, that I could put in side the end cap.

I looked at the E-series stuff as well as the R-series. White Brothers makes a spark arrestor screan for their R-series that would work great but it looks to be to large in diameter.

I'll keep working on it. I may just take the assembly apart and have stainless screen welded in...

Any one still selling a 01 YZ 426 silencer?

JJ

• smitty33

Posted March 29, 2001 - 10:42 PM

Hey JJ,

Dont forget about FMF, they make a great SA for the 426, I just did a review on one here at : http://www.fastbydes...MF_Exhaust.html

The muffler worked great, and the price is pretty good too.

No I don't sell them, or work for them.
Just passing on some info.

------------------
Hold it Wide...
http://www.fastbydesign.com

• enmerdeur

Posted March 29, 2001 - 10:54 PM

Smitty,

Read your FMF review.

Were able to do any sound tests with a meter to compare actual sound levels?

------------------
SHN
99'YZ-400 (Mine)
00' TT-R 125 (Hers)
91' KX-125 (Son #1)
93' CR-80 (Just sold it. Looking for another TTR125 for Son #2)
99' PW-80 (Son #3)

[This message has been edited by enmerdeur (edited 03-29-2001).]

• ART

Posted March 29, 2001 - 10:54 PM

I've had a similar idea but with using a Krizman type spark arrester. It think it would be easy to make one that fits into the stock end cap. It could be held in place by drilling a couple of holes in the end pipe and securing it with screws. I know IMS offered them for the XR400. Maybe it could be adapted for the YZs.

• smitty33

Posted March 29, 2001 - 03:11 PM

enmerdeur,

No I was not able to check the sound levels with a meter.
But the fmf iv2 SA was alot quieter than my non SA e-series and slightly quieter than the stocker.

I run the e-series without disks, WFO.

If I can fid a sound level meter, i will post the db readings.

Later

------------------
Hold it Wide...
http://www.fastbydesign.com

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jj

Posted March 29, 2001 - 06:52 PM

Smitty, actually I want to add a spark arrestor to the stock silencer. Cheaper and the stock silencer is actually very good.

Art, I seem to remember something about the Krizman arrestor. I'll go back through my catalogs and see if I can dig up any info. Please keep me updated on your progress. :)

JJ

• WR400inOZ

Posted March 30, 2001 - 06:51 AM

....And for those of you who don't want to keep the stock YZ Muffler... Please email here in Australia...as I am keen to buy them. We do not have the 'spark arrestor thing here... so the standard YZ pipes are great...

I can organise shipping etc...

please email me @ doozy@net2000.com.au

• jj

Posted March 30, 2001 - 07:35 AM

HEY BUDDY SAVE SOME SILENCERs FOR THE REST OF US!! :)

I have a 99 and am still looking for an 01...

JJ

• Haro

Posted April 06, 2001 - 05:48 AM

Hey JJ,
I was surfing the net and came across an online catalog that had an spark arrestor exhaust tip called the "Sparky" made buy Scotts Performace Products. Anyways it did not really list any info but showed a pic. It was rather large though. I went to Scotts Performace Products homepage but they do not have anything listed on it. Do you have insight on this and if it is compatable with our bikes??

• enmerdeur

Posted April 06, 2001 - 10:07 AM

Sparkys are made by Cobra. www.cobrausa.com/exhausts/html/sparky.cfm

------------------
SHN
99'YZ-400 (Mine)
00' TT-R 125 (Hers)
91' KX-125 (Son #1)
99' PW-80 (Son #3)

• Haro

Posted April 06, 2001 - 10:38 AM

Enmerdeur.....thanks for the info...guess they don't apply to to 426.

• enmerdeur

Posted April 06, 2001 - 10:47 AM

With the exhaust of the 426 it would probably blow off a clamp on SA. :)

------------------
SHN
99'YZ-400 (Mine)
00' TT-R 125 (Hers)
91' KX-125 (Son #1)
99' PW-80 (Son #3)

[This message has been edited by enmerdeur (edited 04-06-2001).]

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.