2010 first ride oil filter cover leaking??

10 replies to this topic
  • matts06yzf

Posted January 25, 2011 - 02:54 PM

I noticed bottom bolt leaking so I changed oil and put on new filter inspected everything all looks good. I re torqued to spec an bottom bolt is still leaking. I can rin bike on stand let it warm up and it will leak under bottom bolt. Seal looks fine. Can this cover go either way seems like will fit and theres not a top or bottom. I put it all back like it was with numbers at the bottom and facing me on inside. Its pissing me off

• brentn

Posted January 25, 2011 - 03:07 PM

How bad does it leak?

I notice once in a while that there's a small darker area of dust/dirt around it indicating a very very small leak...
Try flipping the cover, make sure the o-ring is in the groove.

• matts06yzf

Posted January 25, 2011 - 06:04 PM

I changed the seal and still leaked so I played with bike on its side. I got it to stop leaking from the bottom then was leaking from side :thumbsup: So I loosened bolts and turned it etc while hot and ran a few heat cycles through it and nothing no leak. It wasnt leaking terrible but I could start the bike and let it warm up. Take a paper towel and run around cover and oil would be present, I think its just real finicky. seems good now but its for sure not just a bolt on and go like all my last bikes. Maybe will get better with time who knows

• grayracer513

Posted January 25, 2011 - 07:28 PM

Maybe will get better with time who knows

Engines don't heal. Either your cover is defective (warped, seal groove too deep) or the surface it seals against is badly machined or damaged. It's new, isn't it? Get it fixed under warranty.

• matts06yzf

Posted January 25, 2011 - 07:32 PM

My dealer is 2000 miles away and I dont have one near me. I doubt my cases are bad. Why isnt it leaking now is what has me confused? It leaked then after some adjusting doesnt leak. I did a search and seems other people had issues but no real fixes. Or they didnt post them

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted January 26, 2011 - 11:15 AM

that would drive me crazy.....sorry Matt

• tech24

Posted January 26, 2011 - 12:10 PM

did you put any oil on the o-ring? Or was there oil on the oring area becaue I notice a little left over oil in this area will cause a dirt collecting dampness around the cover

• matts06yzf

Posted January 26, 2011 - 01:34 PM

now bottom bolt broken I have messed with it so many times trying to figure it out I have torgue wrench on 7lbs calls for 7.2 snapped her right off now i cant get this out

• brentn

Posted January 26, 2011 - 01:41 PM

Gotta love how the manual says a spec for torque and you do it and the bolt still snaps... They should know that these threads are going to be covered in oil most times, and set an appropriate torque reading like 5ft pounds or something.

Gonna need an easy out, or a drill, drill bit 1/4 the size of the bolt, tapping set and a bolt to match the new tapped hole and red loctite. Assuming the break point is flat that is...

• matts06yzf

Posted January 26, 2011 - 01:47 PM

Its barelllly sticking out im so over this sob I could burn it right now. It leaks oil then ya try to figure that issue out and snapped a bolt off any way I can get this out and order stock bolt?

• 95s10nj

Posted January 27, 2011 - 11:33 AM

Its barelllly sticking out im so over this sob I could burn it right now. It leaks oil then ya try to figure that issue out and snapped a bolt off any way I can get this out and order stock bolt?

Mine leaked on me once but it was my fault. The o-ring somehow came out of the grrove a little as I was putting the cover on and cause it to leak. Replaced the o-ring and haven't had any probelms since.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.