2010/11 twin air filter box!

12 replies to this topic
  • brentn

Posted January 25, 2011 - 12:51 PM

Just heard about this in dirt bike magazine, looked pretty neat when I read the small blurb about it in the back of the magazine.

On twin air's store you can find it, but not on their main website for some reason... Looks really cool, but IMO the filter is very narrow and doesn't look like it provides much more surface area for air flow than stock, or a stock box with a DT1 filter cage... What do you guys think?

249$ too... the orange plastic looks like that flexible type that you make a kids toy lunchbox out of.... Or the see-thru plastic pieces in lego :thumbsup:
Posted Image
On another note looks like there are air holes on the underside, worst place IMO for mud to get in there and water for us trail riders...
Would love to see some flow bench or dyno data on this part!
Wunder what eddie thinks :lol:

Edited by brentn, January 25, 2011 - 01:21 PM.

• tech24

Posted January 25, 2011 - 12:56 PM

crap can't see pic, I'll go to website.

• brentn

Posted January 25, 2011 - 01:02 PM

Looks like I'm having problems saving the image here, or linking it from their site.
Your going to have to goto the twin air store, select yamaha, and then power flow kit and you'll see it right there.

*FIXED!*

Edited by brentn, January 25, 2011 - 01:21 PM.

• tech24

Posted January 25, 2011 - 01:25 PM

interesting.....not sure what to think of it. I don't see any holes underneath though but I could be missing it.

I don't know if its any more surface area or not but twin air has always advertised that their filters are smaller to create more dead space in the air box which supposedly increases air velocity :thumbsup:

wish there was more info

• brentn

Posted January 25, 2011 - 01:32 PM

wish there was a review.

In the magazine article they show the backside and as I'm looking at it now there are more holes that are covered. You can remove the cover via 3m velcro strips all around the rear of the box.
Seriously, I wanted this as soon as I saw it and of course always jump the gun on crap... Looking at it now, it looks like something very very simple in design and cheaply built, very cheaply built. You'd think with that price you would would get a more sturdy ABS plastic and maybe an aluminum filter cone instead of plastic.... And maybe something better to cover the holes on the rear than just shitty plastic and 3m velcro holding it on...
Me is thinking that an aggressive airbox mod with the DT1 filter would be a better setup :shrugs:
Like I said, wish there was a review.

• grayracer513

Posted January 25, 2011 - 01:38 PM

It looks like a roughly 5"x 3" filter element. Subtracting for the button in the middle, that would give it 53 square inches of surface, or the equivalent of an 8" circle.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rickallen124

Posted January 25, 2011 - 06:51 PM

They tested it in the Feburary issue of MXA. They said that it has 97% more surface area than the stock filter, last longer before needing to be cleaned and is slightly louder than stock. They said the real benefits of the kit was when a pipe was added or the engine was modified. They gave it 4 stars.

• brentn

Posted January 25, 2011 - 07:03 PM

awesome! I'll have to check that out, in about 30 minutes here :thumbsup:

• Jeepentj

Posted March 05, 2011 - 11:51 AM

They tested it in the Feburary issue of MXA. They said that it has 97% more surface area than the stock filter, last longer before needing to be cleaned and is slightly louder than stock. They said the real benefits of the kit was when a pipe was added or the engine was modified. They gave it 4 stars.

Do you have a link to this review online? For the life of me I can't find it on their website.

• cablemonkey334

Posted March 06, 2011 - 06:18 PM

just gettin ready to install mine , so i ll let you know what i think soon.

• brentn

Posted March 06, 2011 - 06:20 PM

Nice, show us some pics of the unit and what it looks like in the bike!!!! The magazine has small crappy pics that don't really go into detail how well this thing is built or fits.

• Chazmagnum

Posted March 06, 2011 - 06:35 PM

Seat of the pants testing has alot of variables. I would love to see dyno testing make a comeback. I think the two together make the decision process much easier.

• brentn

Posted March 06, 2011 - 06:40 PM

Yea, that would be the true test. Going to try and find that article, see if I can post it up.

*edit* Here it is;
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

They are sideways but you can save the images, open them with MS PAINT and then rotate them if you can't read it this way.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.