03 YZ450 Suspension.

10 replies to this topic
  • beezer

Posted January 25, 2011 - 08:00 AM

I have an 03 YZ450 that I have lowered for dirt track and ice. I want to go on eBay and pick up some forks and a shock for it for the occasional MX or hare scramble.

I see loads of them cheap. I was wondering what would be the best year suspension that would fit it.

The bike has boat loads of power so it should be fun if I don't hurt myself to death.

• grayracer513

Posted January 25, 2011 - 09:54 AM

The shock is a pretty wide open deal. Most YZ4**F shocks will bolt right on. The later, the better, in terms of function.

The fork is more complicated. '99-'03 will bolt straight up, and you can even use your current clamps. The '04 was a 48mm open chamber fork, and an improvement. If you use the '04 clamps, it will also bolt right in place. The '05 was the first twin chamber KYB fork on a Yamaha, and was better than the '04, but not great. Same thing: use the '05 clamps and it bolts on.

The best option is the fork from an '06-'07. It's a bolt-on if the '06-'07 triples are used, and like the other swaps so far listed, will accept your original brake and wheel parts without modification. It's very, very good suspension out of the box, and can be made better. '08-'09 will fit the bike, but you would then need the complete '08+ front brake system.

Stick with stuff from YZ450's to avoid having to hassle with spring rates and revalving.

• KJK_JR

Posted January 25, 2011 - 11:10 AM

The shock is a pretty wide open deal. Most YZ4**F shocks will bolt right on. The later, the better, in terms of function.

The fork is more complicated. '99-'03 will bolt straight up, and you can even use your current clamps. The '04 was a 48mm open chamber fork, and an improvement. If you use the '04 clamps, it will also bolt right in place. The '05 was the first twin chamber KYB fork on a Yamaha, and was better than the '04, but not great. Same thing: use the '05 clamps and it bolts on.

The best option is the fork from an '06-'07. It's a bolt-on if the '06-'07 triples are used, and like the other swaps so far listed, will accept your original brake and wheel parts without modification. It's very, very good suspension out of the box, and can be made better. '08-'09 will fit the bike, but you would then need the complete '08+ front brake system.

Stick with stuff from YZ450's to avoid having to hassle with spring rates and revalving.

wouldn't you need to run the 04-05 clamps to use the 06-07 forks I thought the steering stops were different on the aluminum frames.

• pdunlop

Posted January 25, 2011 - 12:27 PM

wouldn't you need to run the 04-05 clamps to use the 06-07 forks I thought the steering stops were different on the aluminum frames.

That is a valid point - I recently put 07 YZ450 suspension on my 2004 WR450 and used a set of 2007 triple clamps to allow for the larger diameter forks. I found that I needed to shave a few millimetres from the steering stops on the clamps to allow the steering lock to be brought back to the normal range that the earlier model clamps allowed.

• grayracer513

Posted January 25, 2011 - 12:53 PM

If you use an earlier triple clamp on a set of '06 or later forks, the wheel will not be properly centered. The '06+ clamp set is 2mm wider, but the fork lugs are altered so that the fork can use the same axle and spacers as the '03-'05 did. If the earlier clamps are used, the wheel will be offset 1mm to the right, and the axle will protrude 2mm from the right lug.

The small amount of trimming needed to qualify the '06 clamp on an earlier frame is no big deal to avoid fiddling with the wheel spacing issue, IMO.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KJK_JR

Posted January 25, 2011 - 01:11 PM

If you use an earlier triple clamp on a set of '06 or later forks, the wheel will not be properly centered. The '06+ clamp set is 2mm wider, but the fork lugs are altered so that the fork can use the same axle and spacers as the '03-'05 did. If the earlier clamps are used, the wheel will be offset 1mm to the right, and the axle will protrude 2mm from the right lug.

The small amount of trimming needed to qualify the '06 clamp on an earlier frame is no big deal to avoid fiddling with the wheel spacing issue, IMO.

So you would only need to slightly mod the 06/07 bottom clamp to make it possible to run the 06/07 yz450f forks on a steal framed 450? Are there any modifications of the steering stops on the frame needed ?

• grayracer513

Posted January 25, 2011 - 01:30 PM

Not that I know of.

• KJK_JR

Posted January 25, 2011 - 01:32 PM

Not that I know of.

So its just a bolt and go deal? No mods needed.

Is the 06 triple clamp different than the 09?

Edited by KJK_JR, January 25, 2011 - 04:04 PM.

• pdunlop

Posted January 25, 2011 - 03:01 PM

So you would only need to slightly mod the 06/07 bottom clamp to make it possible to run the 06/07 yz450f forks on a steal framed 450? Are there any modifications of the steering stops on the frame needed ?

No, I didn't need to touch the frame - it also means that I can put the old stuff back in to sell the bike.

• xl-one

Posted January 25, 2011 - 04:24 PM

I put 06 forks on my 04, very simple to do. The tripple clamps work fine, you just need to take a couple of mm's off of the spacer and either use an 06 axle nut or use a washer, also don't forget to space the caliper with a couple of washers.

• beezer

Posted January 26, 2011 - 09:29 AM

Thanks for all the help! A buddy has an 06 and never rides it.

I may sneak into his garage on night and gleeb his forks and shock.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.