Swingarm wear?

8 replies to this topic
  • KJK_JR

Posted January 23, 2011 - 06:49 PM

My low hour 09 yz450f swingarm has a fair amount of wear where the rear brake caliper slides onto the swingarm. Is this a common issue? How can i prevent this from wearing so fast?

• hadameo

Posted January 23, 2011 - 07:00 PM

I own a 09 too,i cannot think of why you would have any wear at all there!Do you have a picture to show us?I will tell you this you need to grease all your linkage and swingarm yearly,the factory does not believe in grease!!!!

• KJK_JR

Posted January 23, 2011 - 07:06 PM

Posted Image

• hadameo

Posted January 23, 2011 - 07:18 PM

If i am seeing right that is where your brake slides back and forth when your suspension is compressed.I went and looked at my 09 which has about 5 or 6 hundred hours on it and it looks brand new.Does your brake move freely thru the grooves?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KJK_JR

Posted January 23, 2011 - 07:30 PM

It slides smoothly without the axle torqued down. The only thing i can think of is at one point dirt got into that area.

• KJK_JR

Posted January 24, 2011 - 06:20 AM

So has anyone else seen this kind of wear?

• grayracer513

Posted January 24, 2011 - 08:01 AM

There's no reason for there to be any motion along that slide except while the wheel is being installed or the chain adjusted. Once the axle is tightened, the caliper mount should be anchored in place.

• dgcars

Posted January 24, 2011 - 08:10 AM

Looks like it's been ridden with a loose wheel

• KJK_JR

Posted January 24, 2011 - 08:31 AM

Looks like it's been ridden with a loose wheel

I think thats what happened cause upon further inspection i noticed one of the axle blocks looks like it took a beating from one of the adjusting bolts.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.