Anyone Running Gold Valves

9 replies to this topic
  • Amador

Posted March 28, 2001 - 09:15 AM

I'm looking for some opinions on Race Tech's Gold Valves. I called Race Tech to find out which spring rate I should be runing. I weigh 200lbs. w/o gear and ride 00' 426. The tech told me that the stock springs would be fine unless I rode 100% aggressive MX. I ride about 50/50 trail/track. Instead he suggested that I go with a Gold Valve kit on the front and rear to make my bike perform better. What do you guys think about this??? Any Info would be greatly appreciated.

• DaveJ

Posted March 28, 2001 - 10:44 PM

Been there, done that.

Don't waste your money. The factory valve is a very good design.

If you want to improve your forks, get some bottoming cones.

• enmerdeur

Posted March 28, 2001 - 10:49 PM

Where does one obtain bottoming cones?

99'YZ-400 (Mine)
00' TT-R 125 (Hers)
91' KX-125 (Son #1)
93' CR-80 (Son #2)
99' PW-80 (Son #3)

• DaveJ

Posted March 28, 2001 - 03:01 PM

ummm...I've started to see them listed in the big mag ads. Seems to be the cool thing to do with all this FMX stuff going on.

And it seems like C-Cycle is the original manufacture and will sometimes sell them (as long as you don't pester them with annoying installation questions). But I'm sure about that.

But their prices are the same as those that re-sell them, so it's up to you. Here's some links.

Note that they are not always called "bottoming cones". And Factory Connection installs them, and would most likely sell them as well.

If you plan on doing this, let me know and I'll give you some install tips. Scott F. may have some insight as well since he was the one that got me headed in the right direction.

• YZR426

Posted March 28, 2001 - 07:03 PM

Dave J,
I've had gold valves fitted to my '01 in both the forks and shock,I did notice a great improvement in handling, especialy over bumpy sharp edged terrain.
I wouldn't say they are the best thing in the world but I feel happy with the improvement.
My opinion with suspension and I'm far from being an expert in this area is:
Try to find someone interested in helping you with your particular problem ?
When they want to help you and not sell product! See if they're willing to go to the track and help you set-up the "fixed" suspension. (?ability?)Sometimes the guy messing with the clicker adjustments can make good suspension bad.
I hope this helped :)

Speed is 95% rider and 5% bike
Better make that 5% count!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 28, 2001 - 07:19 PM

Gold valve is very much worth the $$$$
stock susp is harsh and hits the mid stroke
then if the mid doesnt stop the hit be prepared for either a crash or a bone jarring spine chill!
I ride about 95% desert and 5% track
160 w/gear and i had my susp guy valve it very soft thru to the mid and a little stiffer on the end and put in .47 eibocs to take care of the heavy hits instead of the .45 stocks.
this guy has been racing desert since 72' and really knows his stuff .
he has done nuverous susp each yr and has a pretty good idea of all bikes diff characteristics .
he happened to own a 400 two yrs ago and is really familiar wiht its tendencies so i completely trusted him and let him go at it.
He also suggests changin fork oil every 25-30 hrs of racing for highest performance.
He let me know that racetech has the only dyno for suspension in the world and thier test conclude that for every 4hrs of riding u lose 5% of your oil efficiency. 20hrs=75%
so that is imprtant too!
I spent about 350 on parts for front/rear valves and front springs and oil and another 140 to have him install it.
I would have to say it was the best investment on the bike that I have far!!!!!!!!!!!
This took care of a little head shake i had b4 also.
I had the susp done then added the scott's and i would have to say the susp did more to help handling and head shake.
just had to learn to lean fwd over the bars and let the forks take the beating and the rear tire will follow!
but this is just my $.02

That's not thunder ridin' your BUTT .........
It's a whole Damn HURRICANE!!!!!!

• enmerdeur

Posted March 28, 2001 - 08:04 PM

Is that a local Utah boy who did your work?

99'YZ-400 (Mine)
00' TT-R 125 (Hers)
91' KX-125 (Son #1)
93' CR-80 (Son #2)
99' PW-80 (Son #3)

[This message has been edited by enmerdeur (edited 03-28-2001).]

• blbainb

Posted March 28, 2001 - 08:37 PM

I've owned a '98 YZ250, '99 400, '00 426 and '01 426. I installed fork gold valves in the '99 and '00. In the '99 it made a
BIG difference and I was very happy with the result. The '00 was not as significant so I decided not to install them in the '01. They do make a difference for situations when the stock valves don't have ports that can flow enough oil: if there is a sudden 'hit' like a square-edged hole or the like. My impression over the last few years is that the stockers have gotten better. It's not hard to put them in yourself if you're careful.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 29, 2001 - 09:34 AM

yes he is from Grantsville
Kim Jensen
he races the over 40 ex class in the dez
I have refered him to ten or twenty freinds and they were all skeptical about the 5bones until one or two had it done and they started to pass the word and bak my story and then the have nearly ALL gotten it done.
all types of bikes kx250's yz250' 400/426' 125's and they all have the same story.
the only ones that differ at all are the guys that decide to go with just the front and they still like it but they still end up going bak and getin the rear done as soon as the $$$ flow allows. Then they realize that u really DO need to have the rear and the fron done so they are in HARMONY with each other.
Drastic diff when the rear is completed.
I like to think of it as .......the front can go faster w/gold but the rear still has to keep up and it WON'T be able to if it is stock.It is just slowing the front down therefore slowing the whole bike and it's potential down.
So......anyway no more rambling.
It is just that I cannot say enuf about the Gold Valves and Kims work.
I think i remember that you are around here and Kims name is in
Grantsville ut
Ps he does it out of his home.
he may be contacted thru steadmans too ......I think?
That's not thunder ridin' your BUTT .........
It's a whole Damn HURRICANE!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by g4racing (edited 03-29-2001).]

• DaveJ

Posted March 29, 2001 - 11:01 AM

All right, let me clarify a few things.

On the 00 and possibly the 01, if you're getting better performance from someone installing the Gold Valves, it's most likely due to a stack change and not the valve. For those that didn't do their own work, be cautious about your recommendations.

Also understand that I really like Race Tech and use their stuff in other bikes, but for this application the KYB valve design is far superior.

And as I have posted earlier, the 00 426 is known for it's harshness on high-speed compression. Any mods that open this up will make the bike feel better, but it still does not mean that it's the best ride that you can get.

I had tried Race Tech valves on this bike in conjunction with a collection of both single and dual stage stacks. It's good stuff, but again, you can do much better with the right mods.

You may also want to spend some time on the phone with some of the shops that are not a franchise operation of Race Tech. Such as White Brothers and Factory Connection. They don't talk down Race Tech, but they know enough about this application to make the right recommendations.

Hope this helps.

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.