Mod questions 07 yz450f

11 replies to this topic
  • Nickm27

Posted January 22, 2011 - 10:22 PM

I have an 07 YZ450F My mods are as far as the engine goes: SS mega bomb, power core 4, zip ty mod, boyesen quickstart 3 with adjustable leak jet, adjustable air fuel mix screw, my carb is 160 main, stock pilot, down 1 notch on stock needle lifting it up one setting.

Im looking for more power, more mods

I weigh 210-220lbs. Im needing some more power any suggestions would be great!

Go Yamaha!

• ttr250dude

Posted January 22, 2011 - 11:44 PM

Cams, porting, high comp piston, etc

If u want more low end, grab an '06 cdi.

• Nickm27

Posted January 23, 2011 - 12:08 AM

I have been thinking about cams and piston...

What does the 06 cdi do???

• ttr250dude

Posted January 23, 2011 - 02:31 AM

The '06 timing curve provides more low end than other years.

• Nickm27

Posted January 23, 2011 - 01:22 PM

Ok thanks... Any suggestions on cams/pistons to run.

• Slinkyman16

Posted January 23, 2011 - 02:11 PM

I'm running the je 13.5.1 in my 07 with the pro circuit cams.. But u will have to replace the springs to run this cam.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FiremanKay

Posted January 23, 2011 - 02:34 PM

I'm running the je 13.5.1 in my 07 with the pro circuit cams.. But u will have to replace the springs to run this cam.

Can you give us a quick rundown on the power characteristics?

• Slinkyman16

Posted January 26, 2011 - 12:58 PM

Well it's hard to give u a comparison. My motor is built. I have je 13.5.1, pc cams, pc springs/retainers and dlc coated buckets, and the head Is ported by pro circuit. The motor has a power characteristic of a spaceship. Their is no extreme power hit but more of a extemly smooth powerful pull that never signs off till it hits the stopper.. If u need power just twist it harder.. Need to get over a double with no run just twist.. Get the idea?

Pc builds the engines to be smooth but powerful to not ware u out.

• RJacks

Posted January 26, 2011 - 01:10 PM

The '06 timing curve provides more low end than other years.

From my understanding, not without the cams too. The cams from an '06 will be a better mod than a CDi from an '06. And the '07 wasn't too far off, most probably couldn't tell.

• grayracer513

Posted January 26, 2011 - 01:44 PM

From my understanding, not without the cams too. The cams from an '06 will be a better mod than a CDi from an '06.

That's incorrect. The CDI has a greater overall effect by itself than the cams do by themselves. Also, several people have taken the approach of swapping in only the '06 exhaust cam, leaving the '07 or '08 intake in place to retain more of the top end power.

• RJacks

Posted January 26, 2011 - 05:53 PM

That's incorrect. The CDI has a greater overall effect by itself than the cams do by themselves. Also, several people have taken the approach of swapping in only the '06 exhaust cam, leaving the '07 or '08 intake in place to retain more of the top end power.

Annd swapping in just one cam will not be as effective. In my tests, swapping both cams is far greater in the "seat of the pants" feel than just a CDI alone. I have tested it, and have felt the difference in an either/or set up. Not going into an '08 or '09, that would probably yield better results. With the '07 I've noticed better throttle response with just a CDI swap. The '07 wasn't all that far from the '06 in overall power and feel. I completely disagree in the cam vs. CDI debate. Cams IMHO have a better feel in gain than a CDI does.

• Nickm27

Posted January 28, 2011 - 07:26 PM

Well i ordered the stage 2 hotcams. ex and in. with a new wiseco timing chain. new adjustable timing gears... anything else i should do while im in there????

Also after installing my adjustable air-fuel screw, boyesen quickstart 3, mega bomb header, powercore 4 muffler. I started the bike and within seconds my header was bright orange!!!! I know this means lean but how do i correct it? Im running a 160 main and all other jets are stock to my knowledge...

any quick help would be much appreciated as im going riding tomorrow

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.