2010 450 idle screw stuck

9 replies to this topic
  • 1yamama1

Posted January 22, 2011 - 08:56 PM

Has anyone had the idle screw get stuck [wont turn] on a 2010 yz 450. And whats the fix?

• grayracer513

Posted January 23, 2011 - 12:17 AM

Explain where the "idle screw" you are talking about is, and what you think it's supposed to do, please.

The 2010 is EFI, and has no idle mixture screw. The idle speed adjustment is done by turning the cold start knob.

• eazrider

Posted January 23, 2011 - 07:21 PM

Since there is no "idle mixture screw" on a 2010 450, but there is an idle adjustment on the cold start knob on that bike, most folks would know what the poster(?) was referring to when he said " idle screw"......:thumbsup: The "cold start knob" (probably an incorrect description, as I find I don't need to use it here in AZ) opens up an air passage way allowing more air to flow past the throttle plate (not sure about that term either) increasing the idle speed, and providing a faster idle for quicker warm up. Is that the way you see it, Grayracer..?

• grayracer513

Posted January 23, 2011 - 08:18 PM

Pretty much.

• 1yamama1

Posted January 26, 2011 - 08:08 PM

ok, you guys are too much. the knob, you know the one you pull to choke the bike before you start it. also the one you TURN to adjust the idle. well that screw or ''KNOB'' got stuck wich means it wont turn anymore.has anyone had THAT happen and whats the fix?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • blbainb

Posted January 26, 2011 - 08:59 PM

I see some misinformation here. The 2010 version has two separate knobs: a smaller one for cold starts (pull, don't turn) and another that can be turned that does adjust the idle speed. Never had a problem turning the idle adjustment knob and it may be something you can't 'fix' if it's part of the throttle body. Maybe some corrosion caused it to lock up or a rock bent the shaft attached to the knob. Good luck!

• grayracer513

Posted January 26, 2011 - 11:15 PM

I see some misinformation here. The 2010 version has two separate knobs: a smaller one for cold starts (pull, don't turn) and another that can be turned that does adjust the idle speed.

Please point that second knob out for me, if you would:

http://parts.yamaha-...65074,2,0,sport

• grayracer513

Posted January 26, 2011 - 11:20 PM

Has anyone had the idle screw get stuck [wont turn] on a 2010 yz 450. And whats the fix?

Now that we know that we're talking about the actual idle speed adjuster, that assembly unscrews from the throttle body much the same as a "choke" does from an FCR carb. Pull it out and give it a soak in some penetrating oil. If the threads have seized, it would be the first one I've heard of.

• DC_Excitement

Posted January 27, 2011 - 06:35 AM

i felt that he was pretty clear on explaing it? hopefully it isnt still siezed after the PT oil then you might have to buy a TB

• grayracer513

Posted January 27, 2011 - 08:28 AM

The cold start/idle adjuster, to repeat, is removable, and replaceable separately.

As to the clarity of the original post, bear in mind that people often ask about different components using the wrong nomenclature, and just as often improperly identify the function of various components, then ask questions based on incorrect assumptions. No accurate answer can be given to such a question except by chance, and I don't work that way.

The fact is that the 2010 has no "idle screw" at all. It has an idle speed adjuster, or an idle speed knob, but not a screw. The common use of the word "screw" raises the distinct possibility that the OP was looking at something entirely different and guessing that it was an "idle screw". In as much as most people are more familiar with carburetors, which have both idle mixture and idle speed screws, and because the OP did not specify the function the "screw" served, that cast even more doubt on the matter.

I could have made an assumption about what he meant, and I may have been right. But I may have been wrong, just as were those who made the assumption that there was any malicious or taunting intent in my asking for clarification on the matter so I could provide an accurate answer.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.