2001 Rear brake mount.......

4 replies to this topic
  • YZR426

Posted March 27, 2001 - 10:13 PM

I just pulled the rear wheel off my bike and as you know, you take the rear brake unit off the swingarm at the same time. Well once I had the unit off I had a quick inspection of the swingarm locator (on caliper)and it has worn where it locates on the swing arm.
About .125mm not all the way along but around 1/2 the way. Has anybody noticed this as well?
The rear wheel wasn't loose and the brake assembly was correctly located.
:)

• Scott_F

Posted March 28, 2001 - 11:04 AM

The "tongue and groove" does not need to be a tight fit. When the axle is tightened, the carrier will not move.

An 1/8 of a mm is only .005".

Originally posted by YZR426:
I just pulled the rear wheel off my bike and as you know, you take the rear brake unit off the swingarm at the same time. Well once I had the unit off I had a quick inspection of the swingarm locator (on caliper)and it has worn where it locates on the swing arm.
About .125mm not all the way along but around 1/2 the way. Has anybody noticed this as well?
The rear wheel wasn't loose and the brake assembly was correctly located.
:)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZR426

Posted March 28, 2001 - 03:17 PM

Scott F,
I realise the measurement(0.12mm)but I got carried away :).
The caliper must be moving even though the rear axle is done up tight!
I just needed to know if anyone else has noticed abnormal wear? next time you have the back wheel off check your tongue and groove to see if it's worn.
I do drag the back brake a little more than the average guy due to my days in road racing.
Thanx heaps
YZR

• yzernie

Posted March 29, 2001 - 06:11 PM

YZR426,

I had mine off yesterday and did not notice anything abnormal. It is common for a little bit of wear to occur there. Keep an eye on it to see if it continues to get worse.

yzernie

• Scott_F

Posted March 30, 2001 - 06:00 AM

I have had my swingarms polished, and the brake boss was noticeably worn down by the polishing. It had no adverse effect on brake performance.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.