Jetting/fuel delivery issues???

1 reply to this topic
  • 2in2out

Posted January 21, 2011 - 09:53 AM

I've done my searching and have come up with no solutions.

I have a jetting issue I need help with.

Ride altitude 3000-9000 ft, Temp 40-100F, RH 3-35%.

The 06 I had last year had grey wire, air box, AIS Blocked, JD jetted for 3000-9000ft 168MJ, 48PJ, Red @4, FMF PB header, FMF 4.1 can. Ran bitchin'!!!

My newer 07 was running ok with grey wire and airbox done, jetted for 6000-9000 165MJ 45PJ, stock exhaust(I bought it in Ut, El. 6000ft). I put in a PMB insert, JD jetted for 3000-6000ft 168MJ, 45PJ, Red @4, ZipTy fuel screw. Bike became hard to start and I hadn't had time to get things really adjusted well.

Yesterday, I put on the FMF MB and Q4 i just got, and 165MJ, 48PJ, Red @4. Temps in the 50's. No start. No fire at all. Got dark, and had to do dad stuff, so I didn't check plug and spark yet.

Edited by 2in2out, January 21, 2011 - 01:09 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted January 21, 2011 - 10:20 AM

A few things. Not that it matters at the moment, but a 168 at that elevation on a 450 is kind of big. I'd think you'd be better with a smaller main. Once we get your idle sorted, try a smaller, like a 160 main.

Now, regarding the starting. The basics - Only the pilot and (if used) choke/starter jet come into play.
New Fuel?
New (not just clean) pilot jet?
Again, at your altitude, I'd expect to see a smaller pilot esp with a zipty alloy fuel screw (they are notorious for needing significantly smaller pilots). If you have a 42 pilot that is in like new condition, try it for starters.

Once you get it running, do this (from the sticky at the top of the forum):Selecting the correct Pilot Jet and setting the Fuel Screw

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.