bottom bolt removal kyb shock

11 replies to this topic
  • silentZ

Posted January 20, 2011 - 08:37 PM

Anybody have an idea how to get the bottom bolt out of the fork? I cannot seem to get any leverage on it. I looked around for a table vise with soft jaws, but no luck.

Any ideas on a slight modification to a regular table vise so I don't score the aluminum?

• sacfelix

Posted January 20, 2011 - 09:03 PM

Why dont you put the axel back in the lug and snug the bolts down then brake them loose first before you pull every thing apart.

• silentZ

Posted January 20, 2011 - 10:57 PM

Thanks man that did it. This is my first time doing fork seals. Trying to save money in the long run.

• grayracer513

Posted January 21, 2011 - 07:29 AM

If you mean the rebound adjuster assembly in the '05 and up fork, lay the fork on a flat surface, run a round bar through the axle lug, and loosen the adjuster. Simple.

• silentZ

Posted January 21, 2011 - 07:10 PM

I am not getting any bites in the suspension forum. Pictures included.

This is off an 08 yz450. I am the second owner. Both compression assemblies are the same.

http://www.thumperta...112#post9996112

• mdkcrf250r

Posted January 21, 2011 - 07:29 PM

Yes you can get new plastic ones or if I recall correctly there is an aluminum one offered by a suspension company. Cant remember which company. Also some suspension companies suggest drilling a relief hole. This is a common occurrence on the KYB SSS forks do some searching and you might be able to dig up a thread where I saw the relief hole suggestion.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 21, 2011 - 07:41 PM

Contact Dave Johnson at SMART Performance. His web address is in my sig.

He has both the OEM plastic and the upgraded aluminum free pistons that you need. Here's more about the problem:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=650136

...and the fix (if you use the aluminum pistons, they come drilled already):

http://www.smartperf.../YZMODASSEM.htm

• silentZ

Posted January 21, 2011 - 08:25 PM

Thanks for the info Gray. You are truly awesome! I emailed Smart Performance. I guess I'll be watching movies and Supercross this weekend. :smirk:

• tpars121

Posted January 22, 2011 - 06:07 AM

If you have ever thought about a suspension re-valve now would be the time to talk with Dave at Smart Performance about a DIY kit. You will have a large portion of the forks tore down anyway to replace that broken piece.

• silentZ

Posted January 22, 2011 - 07:06 AM

I am not sure what a revalve would do for me. I weigh 160, and I believe the springs are stock. They measure almost 18 inches.

Are there benefits to revalving at my weight? I ride mostly MX.

Is this a manufacturing flaw or something I caused to happen?

Edited by silentZ, January 22, 2011 - 07:36 AM.

• Mr. Neutron

Posted January 22, 2011 - 11:46 AM

I am not sure what a revalve would do for me. I weigh 160, and I believe the springs are stock. They measure almost 18 inches.

Are there benefits to revalving at my weight? I ride mostly MX.

The broken piston you found is what I'd call a design flaw. It's a common occurrence.

What level of riding skill do you ride at? What are your sag numbers? These things can have an influence whether you need new springs (along with your weight, type of riding, and a few other factors) or not. The stock springs on your forks & shock may be slightly stiff for your weight, but I'd bet not too much. They should be good for you riding mx.

If you're happy with how your suspension performs now, I feel there's really no need to revalve. Just fix the broken parts (piston & seals), throw some new fluid in there, and call that good. The stock KYB stuff is very, very good suspension, and typically doesn't need a revalve for most folks.

If the bike is harsh in certain situations, or your arms/wrists and/or back are taking a beating, then it may be a candidate for a revalve. Try all your sag/clicker adjustments/oil height first. If you can't find something you're happy with after trying the clickers & such, talk to a suspension guy like Dave J. But again, our stock suspenders are really good, and normally just need fiddling with the adjustments I mentioned above.......

Jimmie

• grayracer513

Posted January 22, 2011 - 11:44 PM

I believe the first link I posted explains that.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.