cleaning weathered plastic

6 replies to this topic
  • mjet

Posted January 20, 2011 - 05:09 PM

Hey,guys can anyone give me any tips on cleaning weathered plastic, is it worth it. I would like to keep the sc 500 as original as possible.Im not sure if they paint it and where can i get the paint code to match color.

• DuffyDidIt

Posted January 21, 2011 - 03:38 AM

Try using armor-all cleaning wipes, they pull the dirt out really well if you its just dirt. If its really bad you will need new plastic.

• scalejockey

Posted January 21, 2011 - 06:03 AM

Iv'e tried i light sanding then an automotive clear coat,it worked fairly well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ulmanb

Posted January 21, 2011 - 06:29 AM

I just did the following on a 1989 yamaha quad plastic. The quad looked like it spent considerable time in the sun over the years. The plastic looked sun-rotted, was faded and the surface was kind of a chalky feel.

Started with a fine grade steel wool (00 or 000), got rid of the chalkyness and made it pretty smooth. Then I used a coarse rubbing compound followed by regular wax. Came out pretty nice, restored a lot of the luster.

• Motosprtman

Posted January 21, 2011 - 07:38 AM

:smirk: - same thing I do!

I just did the following on a 1989 yamaha quad plastic. The quad looked like it spent considerable time in the sun over the years. The plastic looked sun-rotted, was faded and the surface was kind of a chalky feel.

Started with a fine grade steel wool (00 or 000), got rid of the chalkyness and made it pretty smooth. Then I used a coarse rubbing compound followed by regular wax. Came out pretty nice, restored a lot of the luster.

• drturnip

Posted January 21, 2011 - 09:39 AM

Ditto on sanding + semi-gloss clear-coat.

• timbuckets

Posted January 21, 2011 - 03:19 PM

Agreed, in fact if you want to get really into it:

• Remove any stress cracks (those white lines) with a little bit of heating - like the low heat part of a propane torch
  • Start doing cycles of higher and higher grit paper until your at 2000 grit.
  • Then do 2000 grit with a little bit of water
  • If you are going to paint then get your favorite plastic filler product, apply and start again with the sand paper. Repeat as needed
  • Once your 100% happy you can paint/clear coat it

Regardless of what people say, you can make old plastic look new again. Its just a lot of elbow grease.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.