Shifter Rubbing Crank Case Cover

8 replies to this topic
  • climaxx dirtbikes

Posted January 20, 2011 - 02:45 PM

(07 450 like new) My shifter is slightly rubbing my crank case cover ever more and I am thinking of taking the shifter off and bending it out a little. Anyone done this with or without problems? The clearance is too tight but I nudge it over with my boot when I am shifting fast.

• Colorado Fatboy

Posted January 20, 2011 - 03:41 PM

If it was mine I'd go ahead and bend it out. Shouldn't hurt anything.

• davidl9999

Posted January 20, 2011 - 03:43 PM

Go for it. Bend it in a vise, not on the bike.

• tribalbc

Posted January 20, 2011 - 05:58 PM

Well it's aluminum and it won't bend that easy. You can try some heat, but if you really want to change how close it is, I would recomend getting an aftermarket steel one, and bending that.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Baja trail Rider

Posted January 20, 2011 - 06:10 PM

We have 07 wr450s,problem when the shifter gets bent on the trail.You cant bend it back on trail side.At your house no problem in Vise.Also know a few guys that broke the shift shaft off.So we replaced the shifter with a stock xr400,yes it bends.But we can bend it back easy,also no broken shift shafts.The IMS replacement works real good to brake off the shift shaft

• climaxx dirtbikes

Posted January 21, 2011 - 04:06 AM

Thanks! I guess I will try the vise then aftermarket shifter if necessary.

• strtdsmallproject

Posted January 21, 2011 - 07:42 AM

had to bend mine out a couple of times, no problems yet. As much as i crash i am always bending brake and shifter lever.

• Shred Jesse

Posted January 21, 2011 - 01:25 PM

Well it's aluminum and it won't bend that easy. You can try some heat, but if you really want to change how close it is, I would recomend getting an aftermarket steel one, and bending that.

+1 !

It also allows for trailside "repairs" in the event of a crash. Just brand and bend!

• climaxx dirtbikes

Posted January 29, 2011 - 06:24 AM

Alright I bent mine out with no trouble. Thanks

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.