Photo
- - - - -

10' Yz450F Fuel in the oil?

64 replies to this topic
  • tech24

TT Platinum Member

1,631 posts

Posted January 24, 2011 - 12:43 PM

I'd like to see some results too but I don't have the problem so I can't do one. I still think some people are over reacting, not all of them but the human brain does funny things when it gets an idea planted in it from the interweb :thumbsup: (always wanted to use that smiley)

• brentn

TT Addict

4,015 posts

Posted January 24, 2011 - 01:03 PM

Do one, then:

http://www.blackston...e-test-kits.php

DONE!

1-2 weeks till it comes..

• grayracer513
42,862 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 24, 2011 - 01:20 PM

DONE!

Be sure to take the sample per the instructions. It is important that the bike be shut off after it reaches operating temperature (at least 30-40 minutes run time), and NOT COLD STARTED between then and the time the sample is taken. Since you'll more than likely have to use the drain to access the oil, be sure to clean around it thoroughly, including removing any cleaning solvent residue. The instruction sheet will have more info.

• brentn

TT Addict

4,015 posts

Posted January 24, 2011 - 02:14 PM

Thx, I will read it thoroughly.

I'll make sure that the drain plug is 100% clean.

I'm thinking two hours run time for a sample or maybe just one?
Even after one hour the oil reeks of gas...

• tech24

TT Platinum Member

1,631 posts

Posted January 24, 2011 - 02:14 PM

DONE!

Do you have a gas smell in yours? I didn't think you did. Thanks for testing either way, I'm curious for the results.

• brentn

TT Addict

4,015 posts

Posted January 24, 2011 - 02:18 PM

smells like gas and exhaust to tell you the truth.

I bet if I threw a match in the bucket she'd light.

• tech24

TT Platinum Member

1,631 posts

Posted January 24, 2011 - 02:20 PM

well then I guess your oil will be a good tester and maybe give us all some insight.

• thestuz

TT Gold Member

1,427 posts

Posted January 24, 2011 - 03:00 PM

Throw the match in the bucket! Throw the match in the bucket! :thumbsup: :lol: :ride:

• brentn

TT Addict

4,015 posts

Posted January 25, 2011 - 07:44 AM

I did and it snuffed out :lol:
I'll have to try it after a fresh change :thumbsup:

• thestuz

TT Gold Member

1,427 posts

Posted January 25, 2011 - 09:57 PM

remember, it is probably like alcohol. it might need to be 40% proof before it will light :thumbsup:

• rickallen124

TT Silver Member

917 posts

Posted February 23, 2011 - 08:19 PM

what were the oil analysis results?

• norcal_hoss

TT Platinum Member

1,525 posts

Posted February 23, 2011 - 08:33 PM

I changed the oil on my 11 today and it smelled like gas. I filled her up with some quality oil gonna ride it twice and dump it again and see whats up. Id like to hear any comments the original poster of this thread came up with? Or if anyone else has experienced this problem and how to fix it.

• Chazmagnum

TT Bronze Member

110 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted February 24, 2011 - 10:49 AM

I am still waiting for lab results. My local yamaha rep. claims to have never heard of this problem. ( fishy ) My last oil change after 2hrs run time had an excess of 250 cc, for a total of 1200! Note: oil change only no filter.:smirk:

• grayracer513
42,862 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted February 24, 2011 - 10:55 AM

I believe user tech24 has been the one experimenting with a thermostat. I continue to believe that the very low coolant temperatures caused by the current weather causes an over rich condition as the EFI compensates for an engine it sees as not being warmed up, which leads to fuel in the oil. His early results seem to bear this out. Absent the thermostat, you could try covering one radiator.

• SNO-PRO

TT Newbie

19 posts

Posted February 24, 2011 - 11:04 AM

Last winter I posted the same problem on my 2010 and through the help of grayracer I was able to take care of it. I ice ride my bike and put at least 30 hours a winter on it in temps of -10 to 40 farenheit. I now run one radiator completly taped off and the other 80-90% blocked to obtain a 180 degree water temp. There are plenty of days I have the radiators 100% blocked. I also ride the bike on dirt and you will see fuel dilution up to 50 degrees farenheit in my expierience. A thermostat would definitely be the easiset solution and I know somebody was trying to make something work on here but I am not sure what the end result was.

• SNO-PRO

TT Newbie

19 posts

Posted February 24, 2011 - 11:15 AM

As grayracer said the low coolant temp sure seems to be the culprit as the EFI never sees the engine warm and keeps throwing fuel at it. I used my yamaha tuner to observe water temp, had it taped right to the handlebars and my bike would run 80-100 degree water temp while ice riding. I then kept taping up the radiators until i ran out of surface area to tape with 100% blockage. Yamaha also told me they never heard of the problem but I did inquire december of 09 about it so I am sure they were truthful to me. The rep I talked to was amazed that the bike gets ridden on a frozen lake in those temps too.

• steve_97060

TT Platinum Member

1,700 posts

Posted February 24, 2011 - 11:30 AM

When I changed my oil in august, I noticed it had a really strong odor of gas, much more than I notice in other oil changes. I poured the removed oil into the empty liter container and there was still quite a bit more left over, I would guess at least 6 ounces. It's been awhile now, but I remember there was way too much extra oil.

I'm not sure what the issue is, but this was in the summer so it isn't just cold weather related.

• rickallen124

TT Silver Member

917 posts

Posted February 24, 2011 - 03:52 PM

.I think that the efi is rich to start, then you add more fuel if you're running the less hit map and that just makes the problem worse. Then if your like me and the track is so busy that you only get 8-10 minutes of track time per hour your bike never gets hot enough to burn off/evaporate the excess fuel. I just got my results from blackstone and I had a 10% fuel dilution in my oil which may have a little to do with the fact that I didn't have it a operational temps, only warmed it up for 10 minutes, before I changed the oil. I wonder if yoshimuras pim+data box which monitors the egr and automaticly adjusts the fuel mixture would help keep the bike from running too rich.

• grayracer513
42,862 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted February 24, 2011 - 07:54 PM

I just got my results from blackstone and I had a 10% fuel dilution in my oil which may have a little to do with the fact that I didn't have it a operational temps, only warmed it up for 10 minutes, before I changed the oil.

Blackstone's instructions warn you specifically NOT to do that.

• brentn

TT Addict

4,015 posts

Posted February 24, 2011 - 08:10 PM

I just got my canister today, and yes they say drive the vehicle for 20 minutes at least before taking a sample. Take the sample from mid draining and not the first bit of oil that runs out, nor the last but inbetween.
Pretty neat, However It's -40 degree's celcius tomorrow... There's no way in hell I'm riding in anything below -10 anymore, not with what happened last time.
Maybe next weekend I'll give it a good ride and get this sample sent out!

I'm planning on blocking the rads a bit more this time, I want to have a 70-80 C running temperature for the duration of the ride. I have a feeling that what I've heard is right, in which the engine has to be in the operating range in order to seal properly and not allow excess gas and blowby into the crankcase, polluting the oil.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.