Heat wrap? Ceramic coating?....

7 replies to this topic
  • Blueblood

Posted March 27, 2001 - 10:53 PM

Okay, I've seen a few versions of this Heat wrap and ceramic coating on the head pipe and I've heard as many explanations. I know how hot the head pipe gets, so is it for rider comfort, ponys, or more after-market commerce?
I'm running WB header and E pipe on a 99 yz.
Straight scoop?

------------------
Lez Ride!
BB-

• fershy

Posted March 27, 2001 - 11:05 AM

performance. Hot gasses flow faster.
fershy

• Blueblood

Posted March 27, 2001 - 11:12 AM

Thanks Fersh,
Next question(s):which is better/where do I find it?
BB

• Glen_T

Posted March 27, 2001 - 06:09 PM

Be careful with that stuff. We all know how hot the header gets. I just put some Thorley headers on an old chev. truck and the manufacturer said the warranty would be void if you wrap their headers. They are a lot thicker than the header on our bikes. I guess the wrap contains the heat and will deteriorate the steel faster in addition to corrotion problems.
My .02

GLEN

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzernie

Posted March 27, 2001 - 06:28 PM

Blueblood,

The way it was explained to me is that the ceramic coating helps pull the heat thru the pipe and lets the pipe run a bit cooler. My guess is that as hot as the headpipe gets, a couple of degrees really won't make that much of a difference.

Both the Stroker and Big Gun pipes I have are coated. I can let the bike run at idle for several minutes and never get the glow. I can only guess that the coating works since they don't glow.

Fershy is right, hot gases do flow faster. I don't know how hot the exhaust gets while we ride these bikes but I'm sure it is hot enough to flow fine. Unless you are a pro caliber rider, we would never even notice any difference caused by a few degrees of exhaust temperature.

I'm sure your pipe and muffler combo are fine.!!

Enjoy, yzernie

• sirthumpalot

Posted March 28, 2001 - 03:39 PM

Heed the header makers warning if they warn not to wrap. I had a truck which I put headers on and decided to wrap them to keep the under the hood temp down (did a darn nice job too :D ). After a few months of usage I was driving one night about 70mph on the highway when I heard an exhaust leak sound. I pulled over and poped the hood only to see the collector glowing bright enough to light the engine compartment (it was at night) right through the wrap. I drove home really slowly and the next morning I unwrapped the headers to see what happened. They aparently got so hot and close to being melted that the presure inside blew them up like a baloon right before the collector and one of the bubbles burst causing a leak. :) The metal was so brittle that you could break it off by poking it with your finger. I'll read the instructions for the headers before I wrap again.

[This message has been edited by sirthumpalot (edited 03-28-2001).]

• wpattison

Posted March 29, 2001 - 05:52 AM

i've used header wrap since yz thumpers first came out (i've had three of 'em), and the only problem i found is that it doesn't last well at all. this is especially true off road. my main reason for running it was to keep from burning my pants leg when i turn left. i now have a new solution to that problem, which you can see at:
http://www.patmanrac...ew_products.htm

------------------
will pattison
racer, engineer
www.ignitioninc.com

• Blueblood

Posted March 29, 2001 - 05:53 AM

Thanx for the info guys. Probably true, that I wouldn't much notice the minimal performance gain. But the ceramic coating looked cool (literally) and after yesterday's ride (with some GNCC heros)I think Hydraulic clutch just moved WAY up on the priority list.

------------------
Lez Ride!
BB-

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.