End cap wont come off

10 replies to this topic
  • ttr250dude

Posted January 18, 2011 - 11:00 PM

I'm trying to replace my stock end cap for a Lexx end cap. I drilled out all the rivets, pushed the left over part of the rivet in, cut the seal between the end cap and muffler, and i even drilled the rivet holes 1/16 larger than they should be. The end cap still wont come out!! What do i do? :smirk:

• bmxdad2001

Posted January 19, 2011 - 01:24 PM

I just did this last week. If you have a rubber mallet great, if not, I used the rubber handle of my hammer. Lay the silencer on its side and give it quite a few good blows. Turn it over and repeat. It took about 5 minutes of beating on it from different angels before it moved. Once the seal loosens up, you can grab the end cap with your hand and wiggle it and force it side to side as you pull on it. It will eventually come out. Just a little patience and beating on it is all it takes. Good luck.

• ttr250dude

Posted January 19, 2011 - 01:32 PM

I just did this last week. If you have a rubber mallet great, if not, I used the rubber handle of my hammer. Lay the silencer on its side and give it quite a few good blows. Turn it over and repeat. It took about 5 minutes of beating on it from different angels before it moved. Once the seal loosens up, you can grab the end cap with your hand and wiggle it and force it side to side as you pull on it. It will eventually come out. Just a little patience and beating on it is all it takes. Good luck.

Awesome thanks. I'll try it and get back to u later tonight.

• ttr250dude

Posted January 19, 2011 - 03:42 PM

Done. Like u said i just had to work it out with a hammer and pryed it out with a screwdriver. Crazy question, how loud would it be without the packing? Or if you were to take some of it out?

• bmxdad2001

Posted January 19, 2011 - 06:54 PM

I left all my packing in. Its just loud enough with the new end cap on, but not too loud.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FiremanKay

Posted January 20, 2011 - 06:53 AM

Done. Like u said i just had to work it out with a hammer and pryed it out with a screwdriver. Crazy question, how loud would it be without the packing? Or if you were to take some of it out?

Sound is the biggest enemy of our sport, its best to keep your bike as quiet as possible :smirk:

• jasonlion54

Posted January 20, 2011 - 10:01 PM

Without packing it will be louder and make less horsepower.

• ttr250dude

Posted January 20, 2011 - 11:14 PM

It was just a thought. I don't plan on removing the packing. How would it make less horsepower?

• grayracer513

Posted January 21, 2011 - 07:32 AM

The packing, when it is solidly in place, makes the perforated core behave more like a tube with respect to the transportation of exhaust gases out of the system. Without packing, the gases will pass through the perforations to a much higher degree and impede the outward flow.

• ttr250dude

Posted January 21, 2011 - 09:15 AM

Gray, you are completely incorrect. What an awful answer. Haha just kidding. Thanks 4 explaining it. Where did you acquire this plethora of dirt bike knowledge?

• jrny426

Posted January 21, 2011 - 11:26 AM

also the muffler gets hot as hell melts whatever comes in contact

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.