2000 XR400 Decompression system

20 replies to this topic
  • cmanno

Posted July 23, 2003 - 04:56 AM

Hi everyone,
I have been riding this bike since new with some mods and have never had to kick more than a couple of times to get it purring like a lion. Do I really need to keep the decompression lever if I have never used it, what is it supposed to help with? I am looking to install a Magura clutch lever and there is an option to have the decompession lever as part of it or not. Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Thank You in advance :)

• turboXR250

Posted July 23, 2003 - 05:04 AM

You do not have to keep it if you still have stock cam and auto decompressor. But it does come in handy if you flood your bike or if you stall while riding, you can pull the lever and get the engine turning over and start. But no you do not have to keep it on.

turbo

• ThumperTDC

Posted July 23, 2003 - 05:21 AM

Also if you are out riding and you manage to break your clutch lever/perch. It comes in handy as a back up.

• kiethco

Posted July 23, 2003 - 09:04 AM

I'd leave it on.

• 98xr250

Posted July 24, 2003 - 04:58 AM

Leave it on, its like a handbreak on a car , most of the time you never use it but the time that you do need it you will wish its there!!

Examples of usage: stalling while on a hill,
wiping out and you need to go through the "drill" to get it started, of you flooded it and need to evacuate cylinder.

stu

• CoreyClough

Posted July 24, 2003 - 05:39 AM

Ditto.
Mine was taken off by the previous owner, but I have a notion to put it back on. Don't ask why it's off, I don't know.

• hlinar

Posted July 24, 2003 - 07:20 AM

ME fall???? never,,, at least not without the decomp lever to start it again. Leave it on.

• hlinar

Posted July 24, 2003 - 07:28 AM

And.. how about the rolling downhill starting drill in 3rd gear?

• kiethco

Posted July 24, 2003 - 11:45 PM

with my luck, the hill would be 4 feet too short to bump start it. :)

• Dwight_Rudder

Posted July 25, 2003 - 05:40 AM

I would rather disconnect the auto release than remove the Manual one. I use mine all the time on my XR. EVERY TIME I START THE BIKE. I find TDC before kicking and use the manual release to go just past that point. THEN KICK. I use it when engine is flooded or refuses to start. I use it to bump start bike also. It would be foolish to remove it.
Cher'o,
Dwight :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pig_N_CR5hundy

Posted July 25, 2003 - 11:11 AM

Corey,

Why is it off? :)

• CoreyClough

Posted July 25, 2003 - 11:54 AM

I bought it with the lever and cable removed, but everything at the engine is still there. I haven't had a reason to install the removed parts, because I'd have to buy them. Hot Start was already there too, and works fine. I would think reinstalling the de-comp lever would just be another lever to break. Not so true, since I've installed the Acerbis Pro Rally Guards without the metal band. I've dropped my bike more times than Kieth's injured himself, and haven't broken a lever in any of those "offs".

Sorry, long answer to a short question. I need to go riding again...soon! :D :D :D :) :D :D

• Dwight_Rudder

Posted July 25, 2003 - 09:18 PM

If you know how to use a manual compression release , you don't need a "hot start". The Hot start is a way of leaning the bike out when hot to solve a poor jetting problem. A manual compression release is much more than just a way to start when hot. I use mine to bump start when I kill engine going into corner. If you just let the clutch out it will usually just slide the tire.
Forget silly hot starts and keep the manual release.
Cher'o,
Dwight

• Mainjet2001

Posted July 27, 2003 - 03:54 AM

Listen to dwight's advise including the hot start.

• CoreyClough

Posted July 27, 2003 - 04:40 AM

If the hot start didn't already come with the bike, I'd still be using the de-comp lever. If your system is O.K. the way it is, I don't see a reason for the hot start. Sometimes we just get use to the way things are.

• dale

Posted August 02, 2003 - 01:29 PM

I would rather disconnect the auto release than remove the Manual one. I use mine all the time on my XR. EVERY TIME I START THE BIKE. I find TDC before kicking and use the manual release to go just past that point. THEN KICK. I use it when engine is flooded or refuses to start. I use it to bump start bike also. It would be foolish to remove it.
Cher'o,
Dwight :)

I have 2 '96 xr400's and a '99 total miles from all three over 10K, first thing I do is throw away the manual decompessor and the kick stand. If you bike is flooded, hold thottle WFO, need to bump start on a hill, shift up a gear. I ride in tight woods and if anything hits decomp lever, bike dies. Also the XR needs to loose weight. The kickstand is handy when your not riding, but just adds weight and if you dump it on a hill and it slides down, kickstand can go under a root, then you have to drag bike uphill. I also trash to header heat shield, remove lights unless I ride an enduro.

• Dwight_Rudder

Posted August 03, 2003 - 05:43 AM

Dale, I stand by what I said.
It is also foolish to remove the side stand unless you are racing MX and the only time you stop is at the truck.
Over 15years of racing XRs Experiance here.
Most of the guys who see someone who has removed the manual release, think, well there is a novice.
Learn to use the Manual release. You will be better off for it.
Cher'o,

• dale

Posted August 03, 2003 - 08:10 AM

Dale, I stand by what I said.
It is also foolish to remove the side stand unless you are racing MX and the only time you stop is at the truck.
Over 15years of racing XRs Experiance here.
Most of the guys who see someone who has removed the manual release, think, well there is a novice.
Learn to use the Manual release. You will be better off for it.
Cher'o,

Stick with what ever works for you, I am no novice, been riding for 27 years.
Four stroke experience;
79 xr185
80 xt250
81 tt500
86 tt225
86 tt350
90 xr250 (280 kit)
91 dr350
94 klx250
96 xr400
96 xr400 (426 kit)
99 xr400
also a few 2 strokes;
77 yz80
91 kdx200
91 cr250
94 250sx
95 440exc
Many of these required using the manual decomp, so I know how to use it. I just don't need it on the xr400. I have had to start other guys Xr's many times, if needed I get it past TDC using the auto decomp, then kick. When I see a rider with a kick stand I think novice, but again whatever turns you on. When I stop (to help others) I use a tree.
Different subject, I put the KG factory clutch springs in my xr426, they seem good, a little stiffer than stock, but not as stiff as the Barrnet's.

• Dwight_Rudder

Posted August 03, 2003 - 08:27 AM

Dale, I have been riding nearly 40 years and racing since 1971 and Nationals since 1974. I have raced the early KLX250 Kaw, XR185, XR75s . I helped Al Baker with stuff starting in 1987-89. I was behind Powroll building XR400 and XR250 stroker cranks. I still think that everyone needs learn to properly use the compression release. The exception is bikes with Estart.
Lets see you start a BSA 441 without a compression release !
HEHEHE. Let's hope that XRs aren't that brutal. Do what works for you but I have heard too many folks complaining about starting problems and find out they are not using the manual release.
Dale, on a different subject. You live in Dayton Oh. Are you going to the WWI fly-in at the USAF Museum , Sept 12-14 ?
I will be there in RFC uniform. I can't bring my aeroplane this year. They are expecting 50 flying WWI aeroplanes and lots of display stuff.
Cher'o,
Dwight
Current SrA points leader, AMA Nat'l Enduro Series

• dale

Posted August 03, 2003 - 09:38 AM

Dwight,
I'm not into the plane thing, but they have a lot of it here. I think the regular air show was a couple weeks ago.
I think a lot of the starting problems are because people don't have the right jets. The Xr4 is more finiky than other 4 strokes I have owned. Suprisingly putting the 426 bore in made my '96 easier to jet. It is less affected by temp and humidity. The '99 is also better than the '96, I guess do to the carb changes Honda made.
P.S. I guess your no novice.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Cylinder question: hone, bore, or do nothing by enoxos

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR250/400
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

XR400 smoking suddenly, replace plug, adjust valves or fuel mixture? by Landcrab

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

XR400R Shinko 244 Rear Question by MarxMyth

• Hot  25 replies
Forums
Photo

Scotts stabilizer on XR400 by MarkandtheBRP

• 13 replies
Forums
Photo

1986 honda xr250r rebuild! by Dirt-Mink

• Hot  52 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.