Why was that WR beefier than my YZF?

4 replies to this topic
  • gottaroost

Posted July 23, 2003 - 03:13 AM

I rode a comrade's WR426 and he rode my YZF426 this past weekend--both 02's. His launched like a rocket on the low end when twisted...mine comes out pretty slow but has an incredible mid and high range hit that his does not.

He said his gearing in the back is actually about 7 teeth smaller than WR stock with stock motor. I would think this would wipe out his low end. Mine is YZF stock gearing and only added PowerNow. I do not have the legendary bog problem.

I love the bike but in the tight stuff it is a lugger.

Besides, "shoulda bought a WR," is there something I might be overlooking? Oh he did mention that from the outside cover it looked like someone had possibly been in there at the timing and maybe it was set up differently. I think the previous owner did some MX.

• yamahasocal450

Posted July 23, 2003 - 05:26 AM

i dunno its weird sometimes... i drag raced mine when i had it stock with the mods with a factory yz450f and we stayed head to head until about 3rd gear then i took off and left him in the dust with 5th gear :) :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted July 23, 2003 - 05:45 AM

He said his gearing in the back is actually about 7 teeth smaller than WR stock with stock motor. I would think this would wipe out his low end. Mine is YZF stock gearing and only added PowerNow. I do not have the legendary bog problem.

The gearing is totally different, no amount of sprocket swapping will ever change that. Even with a 7 tooth change, which is a tiny, tiny rear sprocket, your YZ first gear is still taller by about 10%.

Not sure why anybody would run that gearing, I guess it would be a decent compromise for MX. The stock WR box would not be good for MX.

I seriously doubt he could pull fifth to the rev limiter with that gearing, so he basically tried to make it a four speed...

• gottaroost

Posted July 23, 2003 - 02:28 PM

So something as obvious as dropping one tooth on the countershaft sprocket could be all that is needed or go up some on the rear?

• Hick

Posted July 23, 2003 - 04:23 PM

So something as obvious as dropping one tooth on the countershaft sprocket could be all that is needed or go up some on the rear?

All that is needed to do what? To have the launch of the WR with 14/43 gearing? Yeah, if you ran 14/52 or so your first gear is now as low as a WR w/ 14/43. And then your third, fourth and fifth are much closer, so wave goodbye to the WR in a race through the gears.

You could never approximate the WR gear ratios with sprocket changes to a YZ, if that is what you are asking.

If only the gearbox mattered the YZ would win a race through the gears since it is a close ratio.

Race bike: close ratio for good acceleration on any part of the race course.
Trail bike: wide ratio for wide variety of speeds.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.