GYTR magnetic drain plug

9 replies to this topic
  • wrwest

Posted January 18, 2011 - 06:14 AM

Anyone used on of the GYTR magnetic drain plugs on their bike? I bought one and think its crappy made!!!! Shame on you Yamaha!!!!! Thread pitch is not the same as origenal--much thinner ridges and fits looser in the case!!!

• WR450FGreg

Posted January 19, 2011 - 02:23 AM

I made a bunch of them myself for all of my bikes and my car.....

I bought a set of little, cylindrical, "rare earth" magnets off fleaBay and drilled each drain plug and inserted a magnet in each of them.

I made 7 of them for a total cost of about $20 and still have heaps of magnets left!
I've been giving them to friends so they can make their own magnetic plugs themselves!

Greg

• Shred Jesse

Posted January 19, 2011 - 02:41 PM

Yeah, it doesn't seem like it would be all that difficult to make yourself. Are you at all concerned about the magnet dislodging itself from the bolt... or is it a pretty damn safe bet it won't?

• climaxx dirtbikes

Posted January 19, 2011 - 05:49 PM

thats what I am wondering.

• wrwest

Posted January 19, 2011 - 08:02 PM

I was thinking the same thing? I would prob destroy the gearbox.....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR450FGreg

Posted January 20, 2011 - 11:47 AM

Sounds like you guys have never experienced rare-earth magnets.
I've never seen magnetic strength like it!

Once the magnet is inside the hole its impossible to pull out with your finger tips and bloody difficult even with long nosed pliers.

Believe me, that magnet isn't going anywhere!

If you were worried you could always glue it in with 2-Part epoxy I guess, but you'd just be wasting glue in my opinion.

Greg

• Shred Jesse

Posted January 20, 2011 - 12:01 PM

Sounds like you guys have never experienced rare-earth magnets.
I've never seen magnetic strength like it!

Once the magnet is inside the hole its impossible to pull out with your finger tips and bloody difficult even with long nosed pliers.

Believe me, that magnet isn't going anywhere!

If you were worried you could always glue it in with 2-Part epoxy I guess, but you'd just be wasting glue in my opinion.

Greg

Better safe than stupid :smirk:

• CalamariKid

Posted January 20, 2011 - 12:25 PM

When you change your oil do you see much stuck to the magnet?

• beezer

Posted January 20, 2011 - 01:01 PM

I never have found much metal on my magnetic drain plug but if you ever broke anything steel off in the motor you'd be glad you had it.

A loose piece of metal could do alot of damage.

• WR450FGreg

Posted January 23, 2011 - 03:45 PM

When you change your oil do you see much stuck to the magnet?

No, not really, as beezer says.

All I see sometimes is a slight smudge of grey coloured stuff (would be very fine metal particles) on it that I wipe off with a rag.

Greg

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.