DRZ 400sm Jetting confirmation please...

8 replies to this topic
  • stink

Posted January 17, 2011 - 09:26 PM

Hello,
I have read over numerous jetting threads (thank you Eddie) and believe I found the appropriate settings for my bike/situation. My bike is a 2009 DRZ 400 mostly ridden at near sea level with the following mods:
3X3 (thank you TT you tube video!)
full Yosh rs2 exhaust
athena big bore kit (440)
Dynojet stage 2 kit (oem #3110)
with the following jetting.
160 main jet
dj needle
clip 2
dj slide spring
stock pilot jet
2.75 turns fuel screw

The bike starts great, idles great, and is a monster under heavy throttle. My question is when I am ,not a hooligan, just cruising with the throttle barely cracked (maybe 1/8) there is a slight hesitation or surging. When I bang the throttle it pulls like an angry donkey, not hesitation.
Is the cause a lean pilot circuit? Opposed to getting a 25 pj, can I get away with turning out the A/S another 1/2 turn or so? Cheers and thanks in advance for any help. S.

• NEKOOHC

Posted January 18, 2011 - 12:10 AM

i had the same problem and i was rich on the needle

i fitted a leaner needle and cured the issue

• stink

Posted January 18, 2011 - 05:01 PM

Thanks, I tried turning the A/F screw out another 1/4 turn and it is better. Is it me or is that going against a rich diagnosis? I noticed that it is not, really noticeable, at low rpm. When the rpm is high and I hold it steady if where I can feel it. Maybe i'll try another 1/4 turn out. That would put me at 3 1/4 turns out, meaning I am in need of a larger pilot jet? Cheers, S.

• NEKOOHC

Posted January 19, 2011 - 12:19 AM

the pilot jet looks after minimal throttle use and idle .

• stink

Posted March 12, 2011 - 12:35 PM

So I have been adjusting my jetting as per suggestions from other TT posts. I am confused about the Keintech extended fuel screw. I have the following adjustments:

3X3 mod
full Yosh rs2 exhaust
athena big bore kit (440)
Dynojet stage 2 kit (oem #3110)
with the following jetting.
160 main jet
dj needle
clip 3
dj slide spring
25 pilot
Keintech ext fuel screw 2.50 turns fuel screw

Should I be using the 22.5 with this screw? Also is 160 too rich for a main? I still have a slight stutter while holding the throttle open steady above 1/4 turn (higher rpm's)? One more thing, my carb is missing the small rubber oring on the cap of the carb, next to the mounting screw. Is this important? Thanks in advance for any help, S.

Edited by stink, March 12, 2011 - 12:51 PM.

• stink

Posted March 16, 2011 - 09:10 PM

This is killing me. I have left the 25 pj with Keintech extended screw at 2 1/2 turns. It starts nicely, and when warm the bottom end (1/4 throttle) is great. The problem is mid to high rpms feel powerless. Plus I get a real hesitation in the mid- high rpms. I pulled the plug and looked at it because I thought clip#3 might be rich but it is a nice light brown (dry). Is it the shit stock carb or have I got it jetted incorrectly? Anyone? Thanks in advance. S.:thumbsup:

• Craig-o

Posted March 16, 2011 - 09:27 PM

Have you tried these settings......

#158 main jet
jd blue
clip 4
22.5 pilot jet with extended screw or 25 pilot jet with stock screw
2.75 turns

Modern fuels may it very hard to judge if it's running lean or rich ...

Your throttle response would be so much better with an Fcr..If you can spare the bucks , do it, once installed you will wish you had done it way before now......

• stink

Posted March 16, 2011 - 09:46 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, I don't have the JD kit. I have the DJ kit. The pilot circuit seems good. It is when I'm hard on the throttle there is a stuttering in the higher RPMS. Maybe I'll try a larger main and put the needle back to clip#2 position. Cheers, S.

• Craig-o

Posted March 17, 2011 - 01:24 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, I don't have the JD kit. I have the DJ kit. The pilot circuit seems good. It is when I'm hard on the throttle there is a stuttering in the higher RPMS. Maybe I'll try a larger main and put the needle back to clip#2 position. Cheers, S.

Sorry , my bad...:thumbsup:

dj needle
clip 2
dj slide spring
others settings as in previous post..

These are what you started with., but apparently is not working for you.....Try the 22.5 pilot jet and see if that helps

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Need help diagnosing rough idle problem by richdiggins

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • 18 replies
Forums
Photo

Wisconsinite762 Mod Thread by Wisconsinite762

• Hot  74 replies
Forums
Photo

$2000 for a decent DR-Z 400s...need a reality check!? by sbscale0309

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

DRZ400SM fork springs? by Ladyeclectic

• 20 replies
Wiki
Lighten up your DR-Z400S - last post by motoinmoab

Lighten up your DR-Z400S

Wiki Articles
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.