bolt in gas tank is stripped. cant take shrouds off.

11 replies to this topic
  • warpedangel1587

Posted January 17, 2011 - 02:52 PM

the bolt in my gas tank that holds my radiator shroud on is just spinning. i cant get the nut and bolt to seperate. any ideas to get it out and fix the problem without ruining or getting a new gas tank? i have a 2002 kawasaki kx 125. any advice would help.

• Jeekinz

Posted January 17, 2011 - 03:35 PM

Unless you need to change the shroud you can just leave it in and take off the shroud and tank in one piece.

I fixed one of mine by grinding off the head of the shroud bolt, removing the shroud, then using a soldering iron to push back the plastic holding in the nutsert. Once you have the brass nutsert out you can remove the bolt and clean the threads, then epoxy it back into place and use the soldering iron again to push the tank plastic back.

• warpedangel1587

Posted January 17, 2011 - 03:48 PM

awesome thanks for the help man!!!

• Jeekinz

Posted January 17, 2011 - 03:54 PM

If you search this forum i posted a drawing of what the nutsert looks like. Its like a long nut with a groove in it like an hour glass. The groove locks the nutsert in place when they mold the tank.

Cant copy link cuz of my dumb ipad.

• RCN4HIM

Posted January 17, 2011 - 05:26 PM

This happens when the wrong length bolt is installed... a major pain :smirk:

• cxcmoto

Posted January 17, 2011 - 05:45 PM

If you search this forum i posted a drawing of what the nutsert looks like. Its like a long nut with a groove in it like an hour glass. The groove locks the nutsert in place when they mold the tank.

Cant copy link cuz of my dumb ipad.

Here is the link to the nutsert pic and info

And Jeekins -- I found this for you!

•The first step if you want to learn how to cut, copy and paste on an iPad is to turn on the iPad (sounds obvious right?). Next, go to any screen that has text on it.

This can be a web page, email, text, or inside an App among others. As long as the letters aren't ingrained in an image, you can copy and paste it.

Now, touch and hold your finger on the iPad screen on the text you wish you to highlight.

Remove your finger from the screen and a few buttons will pop up that say "Cut", "Copy", and "Paste". You will also see that a word of text has been highlighted.

Drag the highlight over whatever text you wish you copy on your iPad. Once selected, press either "Cut" or "Copy" depending on what you want to do.

Finally, to paste on an iPad you need to navigate to whatever text entry box you wish to paste into. Again this can be email, text, or essentially any other input space.

Press and hold a finger on this text field until the "Paste" button appears. Press this button and you have just copied and pasted on your iPad.

Read more: How to Copy and Paste On An iPad | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/...l#ixzz1BLaTSXox

• Jeekinz

Posted January 18, 2011 - 10:58 AM

lol. Thanks man. I'm getting the hang of it, but trying to navigate Photobucket is basically impossible and I can't copy links to the pics, it copies a bunch of crap from the page.

Either way, that's what I did with the tank and it worked great. I read some people spin the bolt with a drill to soften the plastic then remove it, but that deforms the hex shape in the tank which keeps the nut from spinning. When you remove the nut carefully, the epoxy fills any voids and locks in the nut.

• cxcmoto

Posted January 18, 2011 - 11:23 AM

Yeah - I tried the drill spinning thing, and it did not work for me. I think while the tank is off, I will try your method.

• SAPPERS

Posted January 18, 2011 - 11:43 AM

Another trick is to use a small flattip screwdriver and pry it between the head of the bolt and shroud. While loosening the bolt, apply pressure outward. This may lock the nutsert enough for the bolt to back out.

• kashlak

Posted January 19, 2011 - 03:47 PM

I used the drill method on my 99 and it worked great. High speed and just keep it on and the plastic will melt and insert pops out. Then used epoxy to put insert back in when i got the screw out.

• racertodd

Posted January 19, 2011 - 04:15 PM

I have had this happen on two of my bikes. Both times and it was on yz250f I had taken all the bolts out except the one that I couldnt. Step 2 I used a wood chisel to remove shroud away from the bolt by hammering the chisel around the shroud once I removed the shroud I still had a little plastic left around the bolt so I put the chisel sideways and hammered on it until it cut to the bolt then I removed the reat of the small part of shroud plastic that was left. Step 3 you have the bolt and meal washer that goes threw the plastic this washer is tight against the tank cert that is threaded. Take 2 claw hammers thake the claw part and put the claws pointing toward the ground onto the washer and smack the hammer head with the othe hammer until it has the washer pinned in it. Start to pry on the washer outward until the tank distorts a little and pulls the head of the bolt away from the tank wich it is bottomed out against. Ounce you have the bolt away from the tank and is no longer bottomed out. Step 4 take some channel locks and clamp them down on the washer you have pryed against. Then take a t handle wrench and back the bolt away from the washer. Then tap the hammer on the threaded tank cert until it goes back ino shape. Yes you will ruin a shroud but it cheaper then a tank

• kashlak

Posted January 20, 2011 - 01:56 PM

I have had this happen on two of my bikes. Both times and it was on yz250f I had taken all the bolts out except the one that I couldnt. Step 2 I used a wood chisel to remove shroud away from the bolt by hammering the chisel around the shroud once I removed the shroud I still had a little plastic left around the bolt so I put the chisel sideways and hammered on it until it cut to the bolt then I removed the reat of the small part of shroud plastic that was left. Step 3 you have the bolt and meal washer that goes threw the plastic this washer is tight against the tank cert that is threaded. Take 2 claw hammers thake the claw part and put the claws pointing toward the ground onto the washer and smack the hammer head with the othe hammer until it has the washer pinned in it. Start to pry on the washer outward until the tank distorts a little and pulls the head of the bolt away from the tank wich it is bottomed out against. Ounce you have the bolt away from the tank and is no longer bottomed out. Step 4 take some channel locks and clamp them down on the washer you have pryed against. Then take a t handle wrench and back the bolt away from the washer. Then tap the hammer on the threaded tank cert until it goes back ino shape. Yes you will ruin a shroud but it cheaper then a tank

If you use a drill on the bolt it will spin the insert and come out of the tank. It doesnt cause any damage to the tank or shroud. When insert and bolt are loose grab the insert with pliers and remove the bolt. Epoxy or Gorilla Glue the insert back into the tank.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Am I expecting too much? 2002 KX250 by condor74

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   Kawasaki 2-Stroke
  • Hot  31 replies
Forums
Photo

Help me locate an oil leak! kx250 by bbb222

• Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

KX250 Top End by Steffen

• 6 replies
Forums
Photo

Bad Ass Kx125 Build by Bh297

• Hot  68 replies
Forums
Photo

2006 kx100 wont hit powerband by kxkid110

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Intake - Jetting / Fuel Injection
  • 8 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.