Gas in the oil...

3 replies to this topic
  • Darvo

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:59 AM

I'm running a timbersled mountain horse on a 08 rmz 450.

Problem is on cold-deep snow days I end up getting gas in the oil. Can someone tell me what exactly is causing this, and some ideas on how to stop it would be helpful as well.

My bike is mostly stock, just has a dr.d pipe and a recluse clutch. Also, the air box has been getting filled with snow, I'm working on sealing it up with a combination of pre-filter material and foam. Open to ideas on sealing the air box as well, just need to maintain enough air flow.

I would like to add a water temp guage to my bike as well, I have a feeling that some of my problems are being caused by the bike running too cold. Has any one done this?

Edited by Darvo, 17 January 2011 - 09:09 AM.
spelling

• mxmat813

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:30 AM

Not sure how much help this will be, but I had the same problem on my 09 CRF 450. It was caused by an injector leaking. This is a shot in the dark, but maybe on cold days you have a small amount of water in your gas that is freezing and plugging an injector.

• Noppy

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:09 AM

My oil always smells like gas. It has to do with the fact that it has 2 piston rings instead of 3. All modern short stroke 4t's have 2 pistong rings nowadays.

Should the injector leak, park the bike in such a way that all valves are closed. Back-it up in 1st into your garage until it stops on compression.

If you have a Rekluse, that probably won't work...

• Darvo

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:07 AM

I don't think that an injector is leaking, I don't consistantly have gas in the oil, just rare occasions. Usually it involves cold temps and light fluffy snow.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.