WR 450 Radiator overfill tank fill up

5 replies to this topic
  • luksdad

Posted July 22, 2003 - 03:23 PM

:)

Starter my Thumper (with 6 miles on it). After about 5 mins, I turned it off and the was a whining sound which was from the resevior under the left fender. It also spit a small amount of fluid from the PINK drain hoses. The fluid was up to an inch from the top of the resevior. I do realize that it will rise to the "hot line " when hot, but seemed a little excessive.

• basicblues

Posted July 22, 2003 - 04:35 PM

Do you leave your bike idling for a period of time? It will overheat causing the coolant to boil and leak out the overflow tube. This happened to me right after I got mine. I once heard my coolant starting to boil once and I jumped on the bike for a quick run and that stopped it. I really haven't let my bike just sit at idle since I've properly jetted the carb, I feel sure the stock lean condition contributed to the overheating. :)

• yamahasocal450

Posted July 22, 2003 - 04:55 PM

i dont let my bike warm up... i take it off the truck start it up for 30 seconds get suited up and ride :) :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gadsen

Posted July 22, 2003 - 05:38 PM

i dont let my bike warm up... i take it off the truck start it up for 30 seconds get suited up and ride :) :D

I start mine up and find the radiators pretty warm to the touch in about a minute, so I assume its warm already. It does warm up faster than any water cooled bike I've had before. Never had overheating or overflow from the recovery bottle at all. :D

• Gadsen

Posted July 22, 2003 - 05:40 PM

Starter my Thumper (with 6 miles on it). After about 5 mins, I turned it off and the was a whining sound which was from the resevior under the left fender. It also spit a small amount of fluid from the PINK drain hoses. The fluid was up to an inch from the top of the resevior. I do realize that it will rise to the "hot line " when hot, but seemed a little excessive.

It was too full from the start. It should be about 1/3 stone cold. I keep mine at 1/4 cold.

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 23, 2003 - 03:12 AM

If you are not idling the bike for more them a minute when hot you should be OK. Flush out you system and put in 50%/50% mix and refill. I have never hand my boil yet. I am riding in hot weather at high altitude this week and the bike has not come close to overheating. The WR450 has one of the biggest radiators.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.