Why do I have to buy a Power Tuner?

14 replies to this topic
  • swaldrop

Posted January 16, 2011 - 10:37 PM

Just got an '11 and, like many people have said, the off idle power is incredibly abrupt. I am having a really tough time keeping the wheel from spinning. I am coming off of an '08 (with an '06 stock pipe) that I felt had really great power, top and bottom. Just having a tough time getting used to this new one.

Getting back to my question... I don't want to spend $250 on a tuner that I will use once. I have heard great things about the Jay Marmont map and would gladly run it for the rest of the time I own this bike. Once I find the sweet spot, I don't foresee ever wanting to change the power. The terrain I ride never really changes, and even if it does, I can't imagine ever wanting that hit back.

Anyone in the Central Florida area have one of these that I could use? I would certainly be willing to pay you for the privilege.

Thank in advance.

• zukboy789

Posted January 16, 2011 - 10:38 PM

You need the tuner. Its just another way for Yamaha to make money.

• vade

Posted January 16, 2011 - 10:44 PM

Isn't FI great!!!! lol

• brentn

Posted January 16, 2011 - 10:46 PM

You'll use it more than once. I use mine all the time to check running time, air and coolant temp for outdoor condition monitoring and timing adjustments.
The fuel and timing I admit I only dinked with once, but the tool is also used for checking error codes.

You'll kick yourself in the nuts when you start doing your own diagnosis on a faulty part that could have easily been identified by plugging in the tuner and checking the code.

The off-idle lunge in power is a known issue and confirmed with most riders, especially ones using it for slow stuff like trail riding.
This is a throttle body issue and not a map issue, you can't "blend" it out with fuel or ignition changes.
If your going to spend 250$ hoping that will fix your problem, you'll be very much disappointed.
Injectioneering will modify your throttle body to cure the issue.

• swaldrop

Posted January 16, 2011 - 10:57 PM

The off-idle lunge in power is a known issue and confirmed with most riders, especially ones using it for slow stuff like trail riding.
This is a throttle body issue and not a map issue, you can't "blend" it out with fuel or ignition changes.
If your going to spend 250$ hoping that will fix your problem, you'll be very much disappointed.
Injectioneering will modify your throttle body to cure the issue.

Well, maybe I used the wrong terminology. FI seems to have introduced a few more buzz words in to the MX world...

My issues with the power come to light mid corner, when I am getting back on the gas. I find it hard to keep the wheel from spinning. I have heard that with the tuner, you can tame down that low end grunt and broaden the power a bit. I also notice the lack of top end as well, but that doesn't bother me as much as I can shift to overcome that. Just need to get that bottom end tamed down a bit.

• brentn

Posted January 16, 2011 - 11:47 PM

Yes maybe we are talking about two different things.

If your looking to reduce the torque down low and your not talking about instant throttle opening issues then the tuner will help.

• HRC

Posted January 17, 2011 - 01:28 AM

I will get my power tuner maybe next week, but I am a little curious about this Jay Marmont map.

Can someone tell me how this map changes the powercurve compared to stock ? What is it that becomes so much better ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SEOINAGE

Posted January 17, 2011 - 06:43 AM

You should be able to reduce torque in that off idle range by retarding the timing.

• tech24

Posted January 17, 2011 - 06:50 AM

You should be able to reduce torque in that off idle range by retarding the timing.

+1 I use woods map and a G2 throttle tammer for offroad. This combo really helps. The instant "lunge" is gone. However its something you will get used to not even notice with some seat time. I use different maps for the track and am getting the G2 quick open cam for mx as I have came to like the off idle get up and go.

• ttr250dude

Posted January 17, 2011 - 04:27 PM

Correct me if im wrong, but the fi bikes use an oval throttle cable mount thing thats on the throttle tube. The oval makes the throttle open quicker on initial throttle turn. Swap it out for the old style round one, that might help.

• brentn

Posted January 17, 2011 - 05:03 PM

Correct me if im wrong, but the fi bikes use an oval throttle cable mount thing thats on the throttle tube. The oval makes the throttle open quicker on initial throttle turn. Swap it out for the old style round one, that might help.

second time I've heard mention of this, what are the details here?

• grayracer513

Posted January 17, 2011 - 05:38 PM

Haven't looked that close, but it looks pretty round to me.

The real fix for this is the mod Injectioneering is doing, in which the angle of the closed throttle plate is changed.

• ttr250dude

Posted January 18, 2011 - 12:56 AM

second time I've heard mention of this, what are the details here?

These are COMPLETELY random numbers but it should get the point across: With the oval, if u turn the throttle half way it will open up the carb 3/4 open. With a round one, when u turn the throttle half way it will open the carb half way. Not sure if i expalined that correctly and again these are random numbers but it should get the point across.

• ttr250dude

Posted January 18, 2011 - 01:07 AM

This is what i mean

http://www.bikeeffec...asp?prod=40-400

So on initial throttle movement it opens the carb more than a round one would.

• tech24

Posted January 18, 2011 - 05:05 AM

The stock throttle tube is the same as any YZ. Its the trottle body itself that is egg shaped and the pivot on the butterfly is off center causing a faster opening speed. This is changed with the injectioneering mod. I have the G2 system with all the available cams and it is a nice piece but not as good as having the t-body mod however its not permanent.

And the one in the pic is the 400 adapter which is the slowest opening speed, 25 is the fastest and its got a fat part at the begining.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.