06 popping out of 5th gear

15 replies to this topic
  • mtrdrms

Posted January 16, 2011 - 06:30 PM

Hey guys. Havent posted in a while mainly because the bike has been perfect...until now. Let me preface by saying this bike gets used and used pretty hard. It has seen many supermoto track days, harescrambles, and most recently, wide open ice racing. However on my last trip to the ice, it was popping out of fifth gear (wildly inconvenient during a not-so-friendly, my-bike-is-better-than-yours, battle with a CRF). What gives? Any suggestions? I have been told its the shift fork wearing down. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks

Andy

• grayracer513

Posted January 16, 2011 - 07:37 PM

The shift fork is probably bent, but it's the victim, not the perpetrator. If it isn't bent, it will be.

The problem is that the locking lugs on the sides of the 3rd and 5th pinions are worn and have lost their ability to hold in gear under power. The third pinion is then forced out against the fork, bending and wearing it.

• mtrdrms

Posted February 03, 2011 - 10:09 AM

The shift fork is probably bent, but it's the victim, not the perpetrator. If it isn't bent, it will be.

The problem is that the locking lugs on the sides of the 3rd and 5th pinions are worn and have lost their ability to hold in gear under power. The third pinion is then forced out against the fork, bending and wearing it.

Thanks for the reply gray. It sounds like you know what your talking about. So do I have to pull the motor and split the case for this or is it something I can do myself?

Andy

• grayracer513

Posted February 03, 2011 - 10:17 AM

So do I have to pull the motor and split the case for this or is it something I can do myself?

Yes, of course, the cases must be split. You don't think you can do that?

• Gunner354

Posted February 03, 2011 - 01:17 PM

Just curious. What oil have you used?

• mtrdrms

Posted February 03, 2011 - 05:55 PM

Yes, of course, the cases must be split. You don't think you can do that?

No. No I don't.

Just curious. What oil have you used?

Amsoil 10-40

• YZKnine

Posted February 04, 2011 - 03:18 AM

Is it just popping out of fifth?
Are u having a hard time finding neutral, also?

If u are, there is a open race that has 10 1millimeter bearings.
Once the race starts loosing these bearings...popping out of gear becomes a real issue.
Solution replace with the 07 Close race bearing and it will shift smoothly & stay in gear.

• mtrdrms

Posted February 04, 2011 - 04:21 AM

Once the race starts loosing these bearings...popping out of gear becomes a real issue.
Solution replace with the 07 Close race bearing and it will shift smoothly & stay in gear.

Yes, in fact, it is hard to find neutral. Especially after this started happening. What bearing is it?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kawazooki_doc

Posted February 04, 2011 - 04:55 AM

mine did this and I just went and replaced the transmission forks and detent, so I'm not sure which one fixed it...lol. When I split the cases some of the output shaft gears looked chipped and one of the forks was wearing down so it was probably just the smart thing to do and change them all. Cost to do it myself was only about 300-400. Its really not that hard either. I have never split the cases before in my life and I got it done in about 3 days. Of course I had to make a run to the tool store a couple times to get things, but it was well worth the experience.

• grayracer513

Posted February 04, 2011 - 08:07 AM

The bearing in question is located on the roller end of the shift cam indexing arm ("stopper lever" in the parts book). It has 7 balls, not 10, but has bee a problem. It was used on the '06 only:

http://www.thumperta...391#post4922391

However, being hard to find neutral is usually the fault of a clutch that doesn't release well, and is somewhat common on the YZ450. You can check for the roller issue, but I believe you will find you have the worn lug problem with 3 and 5 on the mainshaft, as I said earlier. If the roller were broken, your problem would be with most of the gears between 1st and 5th, and not so much those two.

• YZKnine

Posted February 05, 2011 - 02:54 AM

Yes, in fact, it is hard to find neutral. Especially after this started happening. What bearing is it?

Gray gave U the link, where I got my info from.
In the Diagram #6 (Stop lever Assembly) was what I replace and Bingo , good as new!

• YZKnine

Posted February 05, 2011 - 02:56 AM

The bearing in question is located on the roller end of the shift cam indexing arm ("stopper lever" in the parts book). It has 7 balls, not 10, but has bee a problem. It was used on the '06 only:

http://www.thumperta...391#post4922391

However, being hard to find neutral is usually the fault of a clutch that doesn't release well, and is somewhat common on the YZ450. You can check for the roller issue, but I believe you will find you have the worn lug problem with 3 and 5 on the mainshaft, as I said earlier. If the roller were broken, your problem would be with most of the gears between 1st and 5th, and not so much those two.

10 :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted February 05, 2011 - 07:26 AM

10 :lol:

Yeah, ten. Isn't that what I said? :thumbsup:

• mtrdrms

Posted February 06, 2011 - 06:51 AM

Well the link didn't bring me to a diagram but no matter. I see that I will have to do this work myself. I got a couple of quotes ($2k - $3k) for the work and thats out of the question so here I go. The motor comes out today. Will I need any special tools besides a puller? I have a service manual but if someone could post a link to exactly the suspect part that would be great.

Thanks

Andy

• grayracer513

Posted February 06, 2011 - 11:09 AM

Well the link didn't bring me to a diagram but no matter.

Maybe didn't read through the thread far enough:

http://www.thumperta...833#post5115833

A flywheel puller should be all you need if you have to open the trans. Check the index lever before you pull the engine, though. I don't think that's the problem, but if it is, it's much easier to fix.

• YZKnine

Posted February 09, 2011 - 02:50 AM

Yeah, ten. Isn't that what I said? :lol:

:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.