Sticky Valve 2007 yz 450

2 replies to this topic
  • zrickie

Posted January 15, 2011 - 10:18 PM

During the winter season is when I do my big maintance. last winter I checked the valve lash (all was good), a couple of months later I kicked it over and there was no compression.:smirk: thought about it and decided to try to pop start it think that rapid succetion would free up the valve and it did. Rode all summer:ride: Now this winter as I'm checking my lash (2 maybe 3 need to be reset), 1 of the exhaust lifters doesn't rise completey, it does compress some but doesn't return fully aprox. .100" short. It was stilling running strong on the last ride nothing unusual was noticed. What might be causing this ? The motor hardly has 190 hours total run time. I guess will try to popstart it again to see if that works again. I don't really look forward to pulling the head, but if I do may as well replace the the piston and rings too, while I'm that for into it. I got a "REKLUSE CLUTCH" this Christmas to put on, but the down side is that i won't be able to popstart to resolve the issue next time. My guess is that it is time to fix it. Anybody had or know of this proplem?:busted: THIS INDOOR WEATHER IS BORING. ASKING FOR SOME INPUT B) THANKS

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 16, 2011 - 11:35 AM

The cause of a valve that does not close all the way, or has excessive clearance could be:

• A burr or ledge at the top of the lifter bore, often caused by a seizure of the camshaft.
  • Carbon or rust on the valve stem or face.
  • A bent valve.

• zrickie

Posted January 16, 2011 - 01:59 PM

I did have to popstart it today, and got it started after a long push. I think that I will pull the plug and give it a shot of WD next year and see to it that it is at top dead center (all valves closed) before I let it set for the winter. I let it idle long enough to say that it was warmed up and checked the lash again and all was well. Those two that had excess clearance were only over by .001 anyway. So I'd hope to say that maybe it was maybe a little rust. Wondering if I should still break it down (for now it is not broke)? What would somebody else do

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.