2011 yz450 vs Ktm 300

42 replies to this topic
  • petey383

Posted January 21, 2011 - 08:17 AM

Depending on your speed, I would suggest lower tire pressures, a trials tire, a FWW, and/or a Rekluse auto clutch in that order. These help two smokes with traction. The four strokes do hook up better but the smokers can be dialed. Another suggestion is to try a ride on the 250XC. It`s supposed to have more snap in the motor - that can only help if you have traction however.

Thanks for the advice! I had about 10-12 psi in the rear tire. I hate to go much lower than that though. As for the trials tire, I am seriously considering trying one out next time I need to replace the rear. I hear great things from the people that run them on their trail bikes but I just haven't got around to trying one out for myself.

I can see a rekluse in my future but it may be a while after forking over so much cash for a bike, but that is also on my list of something I would like to have!

• jonish84

Posted January 21, 2011 - 08:45 AM

hello.

I am a guy from sweden that rides the most difficult terrain you can imagine, I have ridden 450 crf- ycf 450 and lots of other bikes. So far nothing has come close to my new investment the 300 exc 2010. I strongly recomend it for everything. It is so much lighter in nasty forrest trails, the real buty is the option between the green-yellow-red exhaust spring. green for slow muddy steep hills and red for fast sandtracks and so on. Then you have different setup for ignition timing, low and high. The suspension are good stock also, but with some finetuning its really nice. I simply love it, strongly recomend it:ride:

• eazrider

Posted January 21, 2011 - 09:12 AM

I love my 2010 450 in the woods, but it is not the ultimate weapon. A friend of mine just picked up a 2011 EXC 300, and it seems very close, great power, decent tank, suspension out of the box is close, and, after installing the Rekluse Pro, the electric start is definitely a nice to have. Grey mentioned the 300 is only 10lbs or so lighter, but, unlike all of our thumpers, it doesn't have cams valve springs, etc, located so high in the chassis. Even though the 300 is "only" 10 lbs lighter, it feels much lighter, not enough to turn my head to the dark (orange) side, but close....

• redrdr67

Posted January 22, 2011 - 07:20 AM

I wish I could switch bikes depending on the portions of the course. Lighter weight two stroke for tight technical, and heavier, more top end four stroke for wide open and whoops. One thing for sure, you'll save a little more energy at the end of your races on the four stroke. Just saying since we're about the same age.

Posted January 22, 2011 - 11:17 AM

My set up was a 06'rm 250 set up for offroad and a 07' yz450 the same bet kept the stock suspension. I always chose to ride the Rm on the 1st,2nd,3rd gear trails and the Yz on the 3rd-4th stuff. I have found it is just easier to ride the the 2strks on the tech stuff because of the lack of engine braking (keeps momentum easier) and they don't feel as top heavy when trying to menouver around obsticles. The turning characteristics and light front end feel always seemed to benefit a little better too. The Yz always felt more stable at speeds especially when hitting whoops, square edges, rocks etc... Also the heavier front end that had a pushing feel to it in the slower stuff seemed more planted in the faster stuff. I rode an 08 300 and power wise felt a little sluggish compared to the RM but traction was much better. Weight diddn't really seem much different to the Rm but compared to the Yz you do feel it (Yz being more). I think they are all good bikes and like them all for different reasons. I only have the Yz now and its a great bike but kept it for its all around use (plated with lights/better mileage etc). I do find it harder to ride in the slower stuff but still do'able. My next bike will be a 300 because although I want it plated I do very little road and the faster I ride, the harder the trail, the easier the 2strk is to go fast on (for me).

• Sycamore

Posted January 23, 2011 - 05:59 AM

I love my 2010 450 in the woods, but it is not the ultimate weapon. A friend of mine just picked up a 2011 EXC 300, and it seems very close, great power, decent tank, suspension out of the box is close, and, after installing the Rekluse Pro, the electric start is definitely a nice to have. Grey mentioned the 300 is only 10lbs or so lighter, but, unlike all of our thumpers, it doesn't have cams valve springs, etc, located so high in the chassis. Even though the 300 is "only" 10 lbs lighter, it feels much lighter, not enough to turn my head to the dark (orange) side, but close....

It's more the a 10 pound difference. Again the 300 weighs about 240 with a 3g tank, the yz weighs 250 with a 1.5g tank. You could argue the yz motor is more effiecient but my buds are saying their efi's are worse then their old carb models for some reason. They are all expert riders, so they are on the gas.

• grayracer513

Posted January 23, 2011 - 08:38 AM

It's more the a 10 pound difference. Again the 300 weighs about 240 with a 3g tank, the yz weighs 250 with a 1.5g tank.

Yamaha lists the weight of the 2010 at 245 fully fueled. KTM lists the 300 XC-W at about 221, wet, but with no fuel. Without fuel, the YZ would weigh 236. With a full tank, the KTM will weigh 236. The YZ, however is so well balanced that the only time it feels anywhere near that heavy is when you have to pick it up.

• Sycamore

Posted January 24, 2011 - 08:46 AM

Yamaha lists the weight of the 2010 at 245 fully fueled. KTM lists the 300 XC-W at about 221, wet, but with no fuel. Without fuel, the YZ would weigh 236. With a full tank, the KTM will weigh 236. The YZ, however is so well balanced that the only time it feels anywhere near that heavy is when you have to pick it up.

I believe the mags LONG before any manufacturer. Pretty much all the 450's weight (with gas) 250lb except Honda. The KTM as well but they have a larger tank so they come in a little less.

Like I said before weight isnt a big deal unless it's tight, or a course lousy with obsticles. If these things are in play the 450 will be at a disadvantage..especially if the 300 owner takes the starter off..another 8 or so pounds.

if the riding is smooth, flow-e, non technical the 450 will normally have the advantage.

No one wants to go through a tuff enduro with extra poundage.

Do a KTM demo day and try the two strokes and Four up against each other. First thing you notice is how remarkable the 4 strokes are, sweet smooth motors, then get on a 2 str and the first thing you notice is the weight difference, a STARK contrast.

• shrubitup

Posted January 24, 2011 - 12:37 PM

^ The word 250F invalidates your above concern but now we're just pitting two strokes against four strokes and not debating the two bikes under consideration.

• Mr. Neutron

Posted January 24, 2011 - 01:10 PM

I dunno.... I rode a 300 KTM for years as my "one-bike-does-it-all" bike. Hare scrambles, slow trail riding with the wife & daughter, fast trail rides with my buddies, the Spark Plug enduro twice (Shrubitup knows about that one, I'm thinkin'...... :thumbsup: ), and mx track vet races & practice days. I now have the 450 YZ, and love it dearly, but don't feel it can do what that 300 could do.

I also know that towards the end of a long race, when I fall and need to restart the bike (notice I said "when", and not "if"... :ride: ), I would much rather pick up & restart the 300 than my 450.

If my riding consisted only of mx and/or faster stuff with less low rpm slogging & technical stuff, the YZ is tops. I actually enjoy riding it more, but again, that's my own personal take on it, for how & where I ride..... :lol: I can make the YZ do the about the same stuff as the 300 did; it's just a little more work it the tight, technical stuff like stump jumping & such....

Jimmie

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Sycamore

Posted January 24, 2011 - 01:34 PM

I dunno.... I rode a 300 KTM for years as my "one-bike-does-it-all" bike. Hare scrambles, slow trail riding with the wife & daughter, fast trail rides with my buddies, the Spark Plug enduro twice (Shrubitup knows about that one, I'm thinkin'...... :thumbsup: ), and mx track vet races & practice days. I now have the 450 YZ, and love it dearly, but don't feel it can do what that 300 could do.

I also know that towards the end of a long race, when I fall and need to restart the bike (notice I said "when", and not "if"... :ride: ), I would much rather pick up & restart the 300 than my 450.

If my riding consisted only of mx and/or faster stuff with less low rpm slogging & technical stuff, the YZ is tops. I actually enjoy riding it more, but again, that's my own personal take on it, for how & where I ride..... :lol: I can make the YZ do the about the same stuff as the 300 did; it's just a little more work it the tight, technical stuff like stump jumping & such....

Jimmie

Good post. I can do all the same thing on my stripped 450, but when it gets tuff I enjoy my 300 SSSSOOOOooooo much better. BUT there's a few guys I know where it just dont matter. But it seems most of the guys that went 450 just dont go in the nasty stuff as much and I dont blame them, it's not too fun.

Posted January 24, 2011 - 03:07 PM

^ The word 250F invalidates your above concern but now we're just pitting two strokes against four strokes and not debating the two bikes under consideration.

The fact that one is a 4strk and one a 2strk is where most the debate is going to come from. The debate/comparison is not which one is better, its more of a "how are they different" and "in what ways", this will hopefully help the OP in making a informed descision on which bike he would like for what he likes to ride. These bikes are alot different based on the motor, it would be easier to compare a yzf/sxf or wrf/xcwf or xcw/??? oh ya they don't have one (just poking some fun).

• grayracer513

Posted January 24, 2011 - 03:19 PM

To return you to the topic at hand, the OP is asking about two specific motorcycles, not generally about two engine types. :thumbsup:

• F350JOHN

Posted January 24, 2011 - 10:19 PM

I love the new 2010/2011 YZ450F, however one HUGE drawback for me is the lack of fuel. IMS makes a bigger tank, but it still doesn't really cut it for long offroad adventures. The KTM would be better, IMO for offroad.

• williec

Posted April 21, 2011 - 09:15 AM

The Ktm 300 will not dissappoint you. It is a beast and all ktms are race ready. But.......but....btu they are expensive to work on. I just sold my 08 Ktm 300 and I hate that I had to do it. I rode it hard and it always seemed to break somthing. It was a beast when it was running and with the slavens head work it was a tank. All the perks of both a two stroke and a four stroke. I guess you can say it is like a barley......great bikes, but you will have to be handy with a wrench. I would of loved to keep it but in virginia there is no dealer help so I was all alone. If you got the means....no would for sure go.ain't the Ktm......my previous bike was an 04 yz450......the fastest year they madelol but the Ktm whooped it. After the sale I got a 10 yz450 and I love it....but it ain't as nibble as the Ktm .......

• Troutman

Posted April 21, 2011 - 06:36 PM

Not sure what bike would be better for you in the woods but here is a cool vid with some good info about the YZ in the woods.

• Johnny_Rotten

Posted April 27, 2011 - 04:15 PM

I'll throw in my 2 cents for what it is worth as I own one of each. I have a 2010 YZ450F with a GYTR head, GYTR cams, GYTR piston, Rekluse Core EXP, Yoshimura exhaust, Scott's sterring damper and Factory Connection suspension. My KTM is a 2011 300xc with a Rekluse Core EXP, Scott's steering damper, Factory Connection suspension and a FMF Gnarly pipe and S/A. I also have a FMF factory fatty pipe for faster courses. When it comes to tight and gnarly offroad to me the choice is easy - my KTM. In fact I just came back from a ride in Baja and my KTM worked awesome. Both are great bikes - I definitely prefer the YZ for moto and the KTM for offroad.

Edited by Johnny_Rotten, May 04, 2011 - 12:35 PM.

• Troutman

Posted April 27, 2011 - 06:16 PM

I'll throw in my 2 cents for what it is worth as I own one of each. I have a 2010 YZ450F with a GYTR head, GYTR cams, GYTR piston, Rekluse EXP, Yoshimura exhaust, Scott's sterring damper and Factory Connection suspension. My KTM is a 2011 300xc with a Rekluse EXP, Scott's steering damper, Factory Connection suspension and a FMF Gnarly pipe and S/A. I also have a FMF factory fatty pipe for faster courses. When it comes to tight and gnarly offroad to me the choice is easy - my KTM. In fact I just came back from a ride in Baja and my KTM worked awesome. Both are great bikes - I definitely prefer the YZ for moto and the KTM for offroad.

Yeah, that would seem like the case for most people but I guess it goes to show that everyone has different likes, and dislikes and the same bike that works for best for one might not work for all. I dont ride woods much but I thought that it was an intersesting video of someones opinion that might help someone who has only one bike for the woods and moto. Jonny if you had to get rid of one of your bikes and you rode both moto and woods, which it sounds like you do, which one would you get rid of?

• Johnny_Rotten

Posted April 28, 2011 - 07:07 AM

Troutman,

If you ride more moto than offroad I would recommend the YZF. It is a bit easier to make the YZ softer for offroad for me. My KTM is waaay too soft for serious mx work. Either way it is a bit of a compromise. For rocky, tough offroad, the YZ is a little stiff. I will say that the KTM, with the E-start and Rekluse is like cheating in the real nasty stuff.

• lastsilverdollar

Posted October 23, 2013 - 10:28 AM

Great video, thanks for posting. I'm having a very difficult time, myself, determining my next move. I'm riding a YZ426 and it's killing me in the woods. My buddy rides a KDX200 and though I smoke him on straightaways, he has a lot more fun than I do. I am exhausted at the end of the day. I want the newer (but still carbureted) YZ450, but all I keep reading about the KTM 300 makes me think it might be a better starting point for my novice, rocky, steep trails here in NC. Thanks a lot for all of the input.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.