Jetting and 3x3 mods ?

7 replies to this topic
  • 117steve

Posted January 15, 2011 - 08:17 AM

I have a 2007 Suzuki drz 400 s I am thinking of doing the JD jet kit and 3x3 mod. What kind of power difference is there, and were in the power band do you see the difference. I ride it on the street not dirt. In addition, does anyone have complete fmf pipe system on their bike also with these mods?

• OldYelMXer

Posted January 15, 2011 - 08:34 AM

Hi Steve,

I also have a 2007 400S and I'm riding about 90% on roads. I did the the 3x3, replaced the stock air filter with a TwinAir and rejeted with oem parts in 2009. The power difference was very noticeable. It produced more power over the entire power band. A friend of mine bought a DRZ at the same time I did and we ride together a lot. With the mods I did above, I was able to run away from her at any point. Soon afterwords, she asked if I could help her do the same modifications to her bike.

I'm planning on continuing to make mods to my DRZ with the next modifications being doing the JD jet kit. The plan is to get a new saddle and and IMS 3 gallon gas tank this year. Next year I'm thinking about the exhaust (although I really enjoy having a very quite bike) and redoing the suspension.

If you are interested, DirtBike magazine has an article in the February issue about these mods as part of a project bike.

:smirk:

• Ken in Regina

Posted January 15, 2011 - 12:48 PM

I have an '09 SM. I did the 3x3 airbox mod and rejetted with the James Dean kit. I did not notice any power increase but I didn't expect to with such a minor change. It's possible that a dynamometer might detect something but I can't tell.

I got the two things I expected:

1. Easier starting and quicker warm-up. When it's stone cold, it takes only half choke and only a few seconds on the choke. It's less than a minute before I can ride away with good throttle response instead of bogging and hesitation. Basically, I can start the bike, put on my helmet and gloves and ride away with complete confidence.

2. Most important to me, I got cleaner throttle response everywhere. No bogging, hesitation, surging or any other sort of drama anywhere. Whether I'm twisting the throttle or holding it at a steady setting, the motor does exactly what I expect it to do at any rpm. The bike is way more ridable.

It's a really cheap and worthwhile mod to do but it's not a recipe for some sort of big horsepower increase.

...ken...

• Vegan

Posted January 15, 2011 - 02:39 PM

I have an '09 SM. I did the 3x3 airbox mod and rejetted with the James Dean kit. I did not notice any power increase but I didn't expect to with such a minor change. It's possible that a dynamometer might detect something but I can't tell.

1. Easier starting and quicker warm-up. When it's stone cold, it takes only half choke and only a few seconds on the choke. It's less than a minute before I can ride away with good throttle response instead of bogging and hesitation. Basically, I can start the bike, put on my helmet and gloves and ride away with complete confidence.

2. Most important to me, I got cleaner throttle response everywhere. No bogging, hesitation, surging or any other sort of drama anywhere. Whether I'm twisting the throttle or holding it at a steady setting, the motor does exactly what I expect it to do at any rpm. The bike is way more ridable.

It's a really cheap and worthwhile mod to do but it's not a recipe for some sort of big horsepower increase.

...ken...

+1 what Ken said.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • elgobee

Posted January 15, 2011 - 06:03 PM

i have an 08 drz400s. did the 3x3, k&n filter, and jd jetting upgrade. after finally getting the fuel screw correct at 2 1/4 turns out, i have the bike i want : crisp throttle, smooth acceleration, and quick startup.:smirk:

• Craig-o

Posted January 16, 2011 - 02:43 AM

...ken...

Fairly accurate write up there Ken........:smirk:

You would gain between 1 and 2 hp with the 3x3, JD kit and good pipe..

If to go to a 39 fcrmx , expect an increase of around 3 to 4hp (depending on pipe) and you achieve even more noticeable improvement in throttle response....

• 117steve

Posted January 23, 2011 - 04:56 PM

Thanks for the info.

• CanTurn

Posted January 23, 2011 - 05:56 PM

i have an 08 drz400s. did the 3x3, k&n filter, and jd jetting upgrade. after finally getting the fuel screw correct at 2 1/4 turns out, i have the bike i want : crisp throttle, smooth acceleration, and quick startup.:thumbsup:

What he said x2...:lol:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Nevada

MY BIKE WAS STOLEN LAST NIGHT…. 9/1-2/2014 Las Vegas. by ARMRD X

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Southwest
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

$2000 for a decent DR-Z 400s...need a reality check!? by sbscale0309

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

FCR 39mm Carb from TT store - Question by Chubs604

• Hot  58 replies
Forums
Photo

Need help diagnosing rough idle problem by richdiggins

• 18 replies
Forums
Photo

Wheelie discussion by Chubs604

• Hot  136 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.