CDI Boxes for 2009 YZ450F

14 replies to this topic
  • timrandich

Posted January 15, 2011 - 07:49 AM

Reading some of the trheads has peaked my interest in putting a CDI unit form an ealrier model on my 2009 YZ405f.

My bike has a jardine full exhaust with a 165 main and needle raised one clip position. I would like a bit more in the middle and on top.

Which years will help out. can i use one from a YZF450 (4 wheeler), I would guess no, but????

What I have found so far is to use one off a 2006 Model year, but how a bout Model Years 04, 05, 06, 07, 08 or off a 4 wheeler?

Can anyone help, I am sure someone knows!

:smirk:

• grayracer513

Posted January 15, 2011 - 08:23 AM

I think if you read again you'll see rather clearly that the '06 CDI is th most favored of the lot.

The quads and the WR use an entirely different electrical system, and the CDI's from these cannot be used.

Read:

http://www.thumperta...497#post9974497

• timrandich

Posted January 15, 2011 - 08:32 AM

thanks for the response, the thread does a great job describing the differnet cams and stating the 06 CDI is the best.

WHen I search on ebay, the 06 CDIs are $150 +/- $30, but a guy can pick up one from 03-05 model years for $50.

I am willing to spend the extra $ if need be, but if the 06 CDI is the same as the one from 03-05 model years, I am all for spending $100 less.

Any help you can provide will be really apprec....

thanks

• grayracer513

Posted January 15, 2011 - 09:37 AM

The '03-'05 are each different, and none of them are at all the same as the '06. Read again.

• myoung

Posted January 15, 2011 - 10:09 AM

So, are there increases on top as well with the '06 CDI? I thought that was more for low to mid improvements. :smirk:

• grayracer513

Posted January 15, 2011 - 11:40 AM

So, are there increases on top as well with the '06 CDI? I thought that was more for low to mid improvements. :smirk:

If you put one on an '03, it would improve top end, if you put one on an '08, it won't.

Read again.

• Gunner354

Posted January 15, 2011 - 12:07 PM

thanks for the response, the thread does a great job describing the differnet cams and stating the 06 CDI is the best.

WHen I search on ebay, the 06 CDIs are $150 +/- $30, but a guy can pick up one from 03-05 model years for $50.

I am willing to spend the extra $ if need be, but if the 06 CDI is the same as the one from 03-05 model years, I am all for spending $100 less.

Any help you can provide will be really apprec....

thanks

Sure glad I was quick to buy 4 on ebay for $40 each when this mod came out. One for myself and the other 3 for friends. There was a surplus of them. Sellers have caught on.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 15, 2011 - 12:12 PM

Sure glad I was quick to buy 4 on ebay for $40 each when this mod came out. One for myself and the other 3 for friends. There was a surplus of them. Sellers have caught on.

Kind of a classic market response, wasn't it?

• myoung

Posted January 15, 2011 - 12:59 PM

If you put one on an '03, it would improve top end, if you put one on an '08, it won't.

Read again.

Sorry Gray, I think you missed the gist of my post..........I meant, why would he want an '06 CDI if he's looking for more top end. Most of us that want the '06 are looking to fix the lazy bottom.

• FZ1426

Posted January 15, 2011 - 01:33 PM

My '09's got monster top end. I can't imagine wanting more. :smirk:

Doing something about the soft bottom maybe, but I'm learning that Yamaha did that for a reason. It makes the bike easier and less tiring to ride.

Knarly low end feels good and is fun but...not for long. More top end on this bike is useless overkill.

• Gunner354

Posted January 15, 2011 - 02:05 PM

Doing something about the soft bottom maybe, but I'm learning that Yamaha did that for a reason. It makes the bike easier and less tiring to ride.

Knarly low end feels good and is fun but...not for long. More top end on this bike is useless overkill.

The reason the stock 09 feels like it has monster top end Is because it has a soft bottom. Yes its easy to ride and yes it hooks up well because of the soft bottom. A pipe with the 06 cdi does not gve it monster bottom end. It is a big difference than stock. I feel it is a perfect combination of very god bottom end and a smooth transition to a good top end. Very linear but strong. Still hooks up very well also.

• FZ1426

Posted January 15, 2011 - 03:41 PM

The reason the stock 09 feels like it has monster top end Is because it has a soft bottom. Yes its easy to ride and yes it hooks up well because of the soft bottom. A pipe with the 06 cdi does not gve it monster bottom end. It is a big difference than stock. I feel it is a perfect combination of very god bottom end and a smooth transition to a good top end. Very linear but strong. Still hooks up very well also.

In my opinion it has a monster top end because it revs to the moon and has a monster top end regardless of the bottom. Albeit with an MRD pipe and 165 main etc. as noted in the jetting spec section. Linear is a good way to put it. For comparison the 2010 YZ has a knarly neck jerking bottom and no top end pull at all. The top end is weak, not because the bottom is strong but because the top is weak, period.

The benchmark I use is my '06 CRF. Many people, myself included consider it to be the perfect 450 motor. It has a knarlier bottom to mid and a top end very similar to the YZ which is to say very strong.

• grayracer513

Posted January 15, 2011 - 03:43 PM

Sorry Gray, I think you missed the gist of my post..........I meant, why would he want an '06 CDI if he's looking for more top end. Most of us that want the '06 are looking to fix the lazy bottom.

I got a little lost in all the shifting back and forth of the topic. He did ask about mid range, which the '06 CDI will improve. The top won't really suffer if you keep the '08 cams.

• blakers213

Posted January 15, 2011 - 04:19 PM

I will have to agree with FZ1426. I have ridden different 450's and and the 09 has a killer top end. It will rev forever. I will agree the low end is weaker than most but I can live with it.

• Gunner354

Posted January 15, 2011 - 05:02 PM

I will have to agree with FZ1426. I have ridden different 450's and and the 09 has a killer top end. It will rev forever. I will agree the low end is weaker than most but I can live with it.

You don't have to live with a weak bottom. The 06 cdi and a pipe makes it a near perfect motor.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.