IMS or CLARKE

20 replies to this topic
  • jwatts

Posted January 14, 2011 - 06:11 PM

Hi guys,i own a 09 wr 450 and i am lookin to get a bigger tank. Does anyone have any pros-cons on these two brands of tanks? Fitup,etc. thank you

• tribalbc

Posted January 14, 2011 - 06:40 PM

No experience with Clarke but I can say my IMS fits well and no issues. Downsides, need YZ shrouds, new petcock if you don't want yours backwards, and a couple washers were your seat mounts on the tank to raise the mount a bit.

• KennyMc

Posted January 14, 2011 - 07:24 PM

No experience with Clarke. I had the "natural" color IMS on my bike for ~2 years and it started to develop cracks around the fill neck. Had other friends develop cracks as well along the shroud lines. This was ONLY with the natural colored tanks. Sent my tank to IMS for their review and they sent me back a black one (which I requested) at no charge. Outstanding customer service as the "warranty" is for a year.:smirk:

• tribalbc

Posted January 14, 2011 - 07:42 PM

No experience with Clarke. I had the "natural" color IMS on my bike for ~2 years and it started to develop cracks around the fill neck. Had other friends develop cracks as well along the shroud lines. This was ONLY with the natural colored tanks. Sent my tank to IMS for their review and they sent me back a black one (which I requested) at no charge. Outstanding customer service as the "warranty" is for a year.:smirk:

Mines natural, had it for 4yrs now, knock on wood.......

If I buy an aftermarket tank I always go natural. Nothing beats always knowing your fuel level.

• rkwfxd1

Posted January 14, 2011 - 08:50 PM

LOL

No experience with IMS but I have the Clarke (natural) on my '09. I went with it because it was a few bucks cheaper and it uses the stock shrouds so that saved some money too. I used an '06 petcock because I did not want to reverse mine. Zero problems but the front mounting bolt is a little tricky to get started.

• jwatts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 04:54 AM

Thanks fellas,so if i get an IMS for my 09' in natural color i shouldn't have to change the shrouds??? The petcock goes in backwards too? Does anyone know of a model yearof petcock that i can put on that goes the standard way,if not it's really no problem. Wheres the best place to get an IMS at?? Thanks again Dudes

• tribalbc

Posted January 15, 2011 - 07:30 AM

Thanks fellas,so if i get an IMS for my 09' in natural color i shouldn't have to change the shrouds??? The petcock goes in backwards too? Does anyone know of a model yearof petcock that i can put on that goes the standard way,if not it's really no problem. Wheres the best place to get an IMS at?? Thanks again Dudes

You'll need YZ shrouds unless you want to do some tweaking. All steel frame WR & YZ's have the petcock facing the right way. So 06 on WR if you want reserve. Best place IMO is justgastanks.com.

• KennyMc

Posted January 15, 2011 - 02:38 PM

You'll need YZ shrouds unless you want to do some tweaking. All steel frame WR & YZ's have the petcock facing the right way. So 06 on WR if you want reserve. Best place IMO is justgastanks.com.

Yep, yep, yep, and yep:thumbsup:

• rkwfxd1

Posted January 15, 2011 - 06:14 PM

If you get the CLARKE you will NOT need to change shrouds.

Are you sure you need either the IMS or the CLARKE? I only got about 38 miles on my stock tank before I hit reserve so I got the Clarke. I have been tracking it since then and I notice that I really haven't ridden much over 30 miles without returning to camp for something. I am giving serious thought to going back to my stock tank. Although it is nice to fill up once in the morning and be done with it for the day.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted January 16, 2011 - 06:14 PM

I have had the IMS for almost 3 years on my '08 and just switched to the Clarke. Mounting on both is solid, but different. On the IMS it adds a bracket that mounts to the tank so that the bolt for the bracket that goes to the frame gets covered by the tank. So when you remove the tank you end up unbolting the two bolts on the other side of the bracket tat mount to the tank. The Clarke mounts with the same set up as stock up front, it's just a little trickier to screw in because of the access. If you use a swivel on the end of a ratchet you're golden. At the rear, the mounting is similar on both, but the way the Clarke is designed, you have two ways to attach it. Instead of just a hole through the tank, on the Clarke it is kind of horseshoe shaped and fits around a rubber gromet that is held down by the bolt. You can either mount the front of the tank and then screw down the rear or you can slip the rear of the tank into the gromet if it's already bolted down and then just bolt down the front.

The Clarke holds another 1/2 gal over the IMS if that is important to you. The extra fuel comes both from going up a little higher at the top, but it also drops a little lower at the petcock side. The plastic on the IMS seems a little bit thicker than the Clarke, but it's just a guess. They both seem to be almost exactly the same width between your legs. The design on the Clarke seems just a little cleaner and better thought out to me and as said above, you can use the stock shrouds.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wanawakeboard

Posted January 16, 2011 - 06:40 PM

anyone got pics? Im thinking of putting one of them on my 08 wr450... thanks

• Strattos

Posted January 16, 2011 - 08:19 PM

Big Coop Dawg's thread shows the tank from a few different angles, gives you a good idea. Helped me out when I was buying mine.

http://www.thumperta...hlight=finished

• jwatts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 04:06 AM

Thanks alot guys,i'm still on the fence about getting a bigger tank,the whole petcock in reverse thing is bothering me,there dosent even look like there is any room to move the petcock around if its in reverse. Does anyone have any pics. of this or there IMS or Clarke tanks? thanks again yamadoggers

• SecaXJ

Posted January 17, 2011 - 10:19 AM

I had gone back and forth on whether to get a bigger tank on my WR (and DRZ before I sold it). I decided not to get one since I have never run a tank of gas with out passing a gas station. I tend to stop for a rest before the tank needs filled anyway. So i just top off when I stop for a rest. i say save the money for tires.

Thanks alot guys,i'm still on the fence about getting a bigger tank,the whole petcock in reverse thing is bothering me,there dosent even look like there is any room to move the petcock around if its in reverse. Does anyone have any pics. of this or there IMS or Clarke tanks? thanks again yamadoggers

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted January 17, 2011 - 03:05 PM

Don't give it another thought. There is plenty of room for the petcock to be mounted backwards on either tank. Personally, I like having the stock petcock mounted backwards so that the valve is more protected. It seems to stick out less that with the valve pointed out and it's still easy to get to.

• Baja trail Rider

Posted January 17, 2011 - 03:14 PM

I had the IMS 3.1 gal tank still running out of gas,as the Wr450 gets real bad MPGS.Now the clark 3.6 fits better.A+1 great tank

• jrutkows

Posted January 18, 2011 - 07:49 AM

I had the Clark. I think you can use the petcock from a pre-07 and it will face the right way (toward the rear of the bike). I did not like the Clark at all, it forces you to sit further back on the seat and makes the bike handle awful. I rode all summer with one and the minute I switched back to the stock tank it was like riding a whole different bike. I didn't need the larger capacity but I needed a new tank and it was cheap than stock, since found stock tank on e-bay and would never go back to the Clark.

• tribalbc

Posted January 18, 2011 - 08:42 AM

There's some pics of my IMS tank in this post here

http://www.thumperta...&postcount=2192

Nothing up close but you can see the 06 WR petcock on pic 3 there facing the right way.
Bonus is with YZ shrouds, you can get YZ graphics, alot more selection out there.

• comtnrider

Posted January 26, 2011 - 07:30 PM

I run a Clarke 3.6 with a Guts tall foam and seat cover. The tank is wider than stock, but never seems to be a problem. (no competitive riding anymore) The extended range while in the high county more than makes up for the wider tank. I've used several Clarke tanks over the years (over 40 years riding) and the quality has always been first rate. :thumbsup:

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted January 26, 2011 - 10:08 PM

I don't like running out of gas, but recently had it happen in baja, alone at night. I was also at the point where I needed to replace my shrouds which were thrashed. So rather than blow another $80-100 on new YZ shrouds and graphics to go on my IMS tank, I decided to pull my unused stock WR shrounds out of the rafters and swap from the IMS to the Clarke. Sold the IMS for $120 and bought the Clarke for $190 new, delivered. The bonus was the extra 1/2 gal capacity. This time I went black as I thought it was a little difficult to tell the fuel level of the IMS once it got low due to the shrouds and usually go by odometer mileage anyway. The tank is every bit as slim as the IMS, just goes up a little higher and lower at the petcock.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.